• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@taylorblakeward do you know if Jose Miguel Fernandez is injured or possibly on his way up to the big league club now that Ward and Thaiss are moving up to Salt Lake?

I would love for JMF to replace Valbuena and Fletcher take Kinsler's spot. 

Something's gotta give on that roster.  If both Thasis and Ward are promoted, and with Fletcher, Fernandez, Schimpf, Fontana, and Carter already on that roster... that's a lot of infielders, and that doesn't even include Cowart.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Something's gotta give on that roster.  If both Thasis and Ward are promoted, and with Fletcher, Fernandez, Schimpf, Fontana, and Carter already on that roster... that's a lot of infielders, and that doesn't even include Cowart.

Yeah I wonder if something is up.

Thaiss and Ward aren't getting promoted to sit the bench.  

Schimpf, Fontana and Carter are place holders.  JMF is hurt.  Carter becomes the full time DH.  

Rojas becomes the AA 3bman and Houchins goes to 1b.    

Cowart becomes the backup SS?  

Ackley, Fontana, Sherman Johnson expendable.  

btw, Adell becomes the second youngest position player in the cal league.  Heard an interesting comment on MLB radio today that the elite prospects actually improve as they move up because the pitchers are more predictable around the strike zone and not as dangerous.  Adell has the power and speed and has shown solid PD but does he have the hit tool that will propel him into the top 10 status?  We're gonna find out pretty quick.   Youngest prospect to reach A+ since Trout in 2010 who was promoted in July during his age 18 season.  Making him the second youngest at this level in franchise history.  Caveat is that we've only had a high A team in our system for about 30 years.  

I'm glad the Angels feel like Ward and Thaiss deserve a promotion, but I'm a little skeptical that it's a good idea; particularly in the case of Thaiss. Showing power is what he really needs to do to prove himself to be a legitimate prospect and he can't do that in the PCL. No one will really know what he's capable of. It's like judging a Rockies player without the benefit of road splits because a large portion of the PCL is at that high of an elevation.

Thaiss has had a nice increase in his power so far in Double-A.  Seeing some more balls leave the field could help reinforce some of the changes in his swing, more than showing the powers to be he is ready.  

The increase in counting stats could also help increase his trade value for an ASB deal for a starting pitcher.  

28 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I'm glad the Angels feel like Ward and Thaiss deserve a promotion, but I'm a little skeptical that it's a good idea; particularly in the case of Thaiss. Showing power is what he really needs to do to prove himself to be a legitimate prospect and he can't do that in the PCL. No one will really know what he's capable of. It's like judging a Rockies player without the benefit of road splits because a large portion of the PCL is at that high of an elevation.

Thaiss alread showed power in ST. Evaluators noticed a little more lift in his swing and turning on pitches in the strike zone, where he normally was just looking for a walk before.

9 hours ago, SoWhat said:

anyone want a good laugh? From page 15-20s, Reds fans discuss trade scenarios involving our prospects.  http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?115770-The-Trade-Thread/page16

My favorite ones - Iglesias and Harvey for Andrew Heaney, Jo Adell, Michael Hermosillo, Taylor Ward and Jaime Barria or Scooter Genette for Adell, Maitan and hermosillo

They should be blackballed as baseball fans.

And people laugh about our trade proposals?

30 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I'm hoping the FO saw enough adjustment in his swing to hit for power that they felt it was time to promote him.  I am admittedly a little surprised he got promoted, as while his power #s were improved, he wasn't exactly destroying the league in the way Ward + Adell were, but nevertheless, hopefully he showed the FO enough that he warranted a promotion.

I like how aggressive we have been in promoting / rewarding guys.  It has been said on here, but typically, you keep your top prospects in AA, as you see some of the best talent there (i.e. other top prospects), while AAA is moreso composed of AAAA-type players.  Given Ward and Thasis are going to AAA, I wonder how long it is because we see them crack an MLB game.

21 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think this is aimed at keeping their spirits up...   This may be them taking the human element into consideration.   I'm gonna assume that words gets out when other players get promotions, so a flurry of moves below them might make for excitement in the clubhouse and I can see guys like Thaiss and Ward starting to wonder when they may get promoted   Or it may just be as simple as the organization having asked them both to work on one thing and having seen improvement in the area they are moving them up.   Not gonna lie, I've always wondered what leads teams to make promotions..   The Angels under the current front office has been much more apt to promote guys aggressively.

My personal hope..  Billy Eppler and company are the sort of front office that takes stock of what they do have and can use (and will need), early and then plan the rest of year roster accordingly.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think this is aimed at keeping their spirits up...   This may be them taking the human element into consideration.   I'm gonna assume that words gets out when other players get promotions, so a flurry of moves below them might make for excitement in the clubhouse and I can see guys like Thaiss and Ward starting to wonder when they may get promoted   Or it may just be as simple as the organization having asked them both to work on one thing and having seen improvement in the area they are moving them up.   Not gonna lie, I've always wondered what leads teams to make promotions..   The Angels under the current front office has been much more apt to promote guys aggressively.

My personal hope..  Billy Eppler and company are the sort of front office that takes stock of what they do have and can use (and will need), early and then plan the rest of year roster accordingly.

Yeah, I have always wondered this too.  I think we, as fans, tend to focus on the stats, since we can't really see these guys play.  I'm sure the FO is probably looking for specific adjustments as opposed to just the #s.  For example, with Thasis - is he lifting the ball more consistently?  Is he showing the ability to produce decent power #s, such that he'll be a playable MLB 1Bman?  Probably specific things like that, that are hard for us to tell by just looking at their stats alone.

I agree this FO is more aggressive in promoting players, which is awesome.  Prior to the season, I think we recognized we had a lot of young, burgeoning talent, but a lot of it was in the lower minors.  Now, we are seeing a number of guys with potential now suddenly in the upper minors (AAA/AA), which is awesome because it means the cavalry has some reinforcements heading over very soon :)

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think you nailed it with the human element. Getting promoted isn't just about production. When younger guys show progression, the team rewards them. And the psychological element of being promoted or not promoted, or even demoted are taken into consideration.

And often, it really isn't about the numbers, as was the case with Michael Hermosillo. He's already proven that he can hit AAA pitching rather easily. The Angels wanted to see him use the entire field, cut down on swinging at pitches outside the zone and take better routes in the OF at all three spots. He wasn't being challenged in AAA anymore, because he started doing these too quickly. He needed to be in the majors to further develop those specific areas. And with Calhoun sucking and Upton ailing, it was just the right time.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Valnobuena can easily be replaced by JMF.

Wonder if the Braves would be interested after dropping Bautista, whom the Mets are supposedly interested in now too. Could be two teams who'd bite. It'd be a salary dump kind of deal though, or a swap for another dead money player. McCarthy? AGon?

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wonder if the Braves would be interested after dropping Bautista, whom the Mets are supposedly interested in now too. Could be two teams who'd bite. It'd be a salary dump kind of deal though, or a swap for another dead money player. McCarthy? AGon?

We'd be relegated to trading for the Ghost of AGon from the Braves, as he's on the Mets now. :)

45 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

So updated AAA infield...

1B - Thaiss, Carter, Fernandez

2B - Fernandez, Fletcher, Fontana, Johnson, Cowart

SS - Fletcher, Fontana, Cowart

3B - Ward, Fernandez, Cowart, Johnson.

Fernandez really needs to be promoted.

So I’m guessing the starters would be Thaiss, Fernandez, Fletcher, Ward?

That’s a lot of leftover pieces. How many players on a AAA roster?