• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hosmer to Padres- 8 years

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it was said that the Royals had a 7yr deal on the table as well.  

Not sure they totally overpaid here.  Seems like a reasonably fair deal. 

They get a guy starting from age 28 who will be a fixture of leadership for the next 5 and possibly 8 years.  He's won a WS recently so he brings that culture to a very young, up and coming ball club.  Kind of reminds me of the Cubs getting Lester.  

Normally, spending big money on a 1bman doesn't work out well, but I like this move for them.  It says 'game on' to the fans as well.  Gives the team some interest.  

Their starting pitching is an absolute train wreck still though.  Actually, Lance Lynn on a 4yr deal might be another nice piece for them to add.  Most of their top pitchers in the system are still in the low minors so it will be interesting to see which direction they go in that regard.  

They were outscored by 212 runs last year so they needed to do something interesting.  

The point is that they already have multiple 1B and a 3B they were supposedly high on.   I assume the plan is moving Myers to the OF. 
They went over the top for a guy that seems to not be a need in a time when they are not going to compete.  
Does he make them better than a 4th place team in the NL west, at best?  I dont think they get out of the cellar even with him. 
Just seems and odd time to make an odd deal and over pay on that guy. 

This is a very good move for the Padres.  It tells the fan base they actually believe they can win in this rebuild, rather than the 100 times in the past when the fans ultimately felt betrayed when they never turn the corner.

Hosmer is still young and will still be in his prime when this wave of talent reaches the majors.

The Padres might be "overpaying" for the first part of the contract but they don't have the escalating cash obligation that sometimes are attached to long term deals.

He is a good player and this is a very good fit.

I thought the Padres were not for real here (thinking same old same old Padres lying about being serious about actually winning), but I was wrong.

I have to think the Padres fans are ecstatic with Hosmer, but more ecstatic that it looks like maybe maybe maybe Lucy might not pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

Padres could use a clubhouse leader and a solid bat.   Was he a smart choice if the Halos signed him?  No, because of the money already committed to others

But the Padres are different, in that not much future money is tied up.

He could benefit from them moving in the Petco Park fences some 5-8 feet, help the hitters without hurting the pitchers.   Constant heavy nighttime air cuts down FB's.