• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Construction Project

Looking for ideas and possibly recommendations. Long story short, I want to add a master suite and expand my dining/family room in my house. I'll be adding about 500 square feet. Part of my existing roof will need to come off. The project isn't simple, but probably nothing too difficult for someone with a lot of experience.

I found a GC I like. Older retired guy, clean cut, former home builder. Problem is, he is really dragging his feet. He has no sense of urgency. I get the sense that part of the problem is that the construction industry is booming and he is having trouble finding an architect, engineer, and subcontractors to do the work at reasonable prices. I get the sense nobody is hungry to do the work because everyone is busy.

So my questions/requests for recommendations:

1. Is the construction industry as busy as it appears? Should I expect to have difficulty finding a good GC to do the work? If I wait until the economy potentially softens in a year or so, can I expect to save a lot of money on the project?

2. How do I distinguish between a decent GC and a great GC? I want someone who pays close attention to detail and will do exemplary work, not merely someone who will throw up walls and a roof. I am happy to mind pay more for a better GC.

3. How many weeks should I expect it to take for a) the architect/engineer to draw plans upon being hired, and B) for those plans to get approved by the city. In other words, how long is it going to take me to get from hiring an architect/engineer to breaking ground?

4. Any recommendations for getting this project going? I don't want to push the GC I have been talking with too hard because I don't want him to decide against doing this project. But at the same time, I have grown impatient. In two months, he hasn't even identified an architect/engineer willing to draw plans. That seems completely unexplainable to me.

5. Any recommendations for a good GC, architect and/or structural engineer in Orange County?

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If the guy s dragging his heels he probably doesn't need the money. How much did you pay him up front? 

He definitely doesn't need the money. He is retired and did very well for himself. I think he is bored and wants to get back into the business, at least part time. I haven't paid him anything.

I'd move on.  I bought a fixer in November and have had some issues, but what helped me was to ask people in the trades who to call.  For example, we knew the kitchen needed to be done, so we asked him about the guy he uses for plumbing.  (I already had an electrician.) From the plumber, I got the name of a drywall/texture guy who was awesome.  From them, I got the name of a stucco guy who does good work. 

Maybe you should start with an architect or interior designer.  I'd also use Yelp, Houzz, and Angie's List for research to help confirm any feelings or hunches you might have about people you interview. 

Just make sure you do your research and get references!

Good Luck!

We are putting in a balcony and getting these dumb fucks to show up for estimates has been a pain in the ass. No shows, cancellations, reschedules... of the dudes that have come only one has followed up with an actual estimate.

my bro is a masonry contractor. Let me know if that is up your alley at all.

Not sure about the home remodel sector per se but construction is booming everywhere. I work in the construction industry in LA and it is the busiest I have seen it in the last 25 years. Just look at how many crane towers you see in downtown LA.

I deal with bigger projects(stadiums, hospitals and high-rises, etc) but no home remodels so I'm no help to you.

I had my own personal nightmare with a remodel at my house a couple of years ago. The problem I had was the guy acting as the general contractor wouldn't come to our house to lay out his subs and things went bad. Bad enough that it took a 4-6 week project 6 months. I then had to take him to small claims court to recover some losses. I won BTW. These guys get too busy and don't pay attention to details like I would.

I also took photos every step of the way which really helped me in small claims.