• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kinsler Interview with The Athletic...with interesting snippet about Angels not being done

It is truly remarkable the amount of talent that has been added this off-season. If you include Upton in the count, the team added four guys who all have played at all-star levels at some point in the last two years (Upton, Kinsler and Cozart), or have the potential to be superstars (Ohtani).

But it sure would look nice to add another starter to the mix.

"They went out and [got] shortstop Zack Cozart, and I don't know if they're done yet"

It seems unlikely that the above hint is about them possibly acquiring Cozart some time in the future...

Edit- the full quote sounds like they were for sure indicating to him that they would get Cozart, but may have implied that there is more to follow (hence: I don't know if they are done yet).

15 minutes ago, Glen said:

I don't think too many people here were against it.

I think that baseball is an emotional game, and its hard to do a 180 on a player who has a bad history with your team. I think most people would say they liked it if they were being objective about it, but that doesn't mean it won't leave a bad flavor in your mouth.

11 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I think that baseball is an emotional game, and its hard to do a 180 on a player who has a bad history with your team. I think most people would say they liked it if they were being objective about it, but that doesn't mean it won't leave a bad flavor in your mouth.

Agreed.  I've always thought Kinsler was a punk.  But part of that was because he was a heckuva ball player that routinely hurt the Angels with his bat and glove.  But he's on the good side now, so all is a forgiven.

5 hours ago, wopphil said:

It is truly remarkable the amount of talent that has been added this off-season. If you include Upton in the count, the team added four guys who all have played at all-star levels at some point in the last two years (Upton, Kinsler and Cozart), or have the potential to be superstars (Ohtani).

But it sure would look nice to add another starter to the mix.

yeah, which will make it even more frustrating when they all end up on the IR.

feels like this org needs to upgrade it's training and medical staff as well.

I can't stand Kinsler. That said, he makes this team better. He is a legit second baseman, something we haven't had for three seasons since trading Kendrick prior to 2015.

Still, this team's position player group will produce a heck of a lot more WAR than the 2017 team's 18.2 TOTAL. By Contrast, the Astros had 39.8 from the offensive side, the Indians had 27.6 and the Yankees had 29.5. This doesn't include pitchers.

The Angels 2018 top position players figure to be: (BEST Single Season WAR in Career, from BBREF).

Trout (10.8)

Simmons (7.1)

Upton (6.1)

Kinsler (7.1)

Calhoun (4.1)

Cozart (4.9)

Pujols (9.7 or 4.8 with Angels).

Ohtani (TBD)

Valbuena (2.6)

Maldonado (1.7)

Rivera (3.2)

Cron (2.1)

EY JR. (1.9)

Cowart (0.3)

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I didn't read anything into it, apart from him really not knowing whether they are done yet. I doubt that the FO contacts every player and tells him about potential deals, or the lack thereof.

The Kinsler deal is still a stop gap situation while Cozart gets the biggest monetary offer of his life so it’s not like he was going to walk away from 38M because he has to move from 2B to 3B. The way the market has been who knows if these guys even had better offers to consider. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:13 AM, krAbs said:

Edit- the full quote sounds like they were for sure indicating to him that they would get Cozart, but may have implied that there is more to follow (hence: I don't know if they are done yet).

they said they're gonna try to get better after they acquired me. They did. They went out and [got] shortstop Zack Cozart, and I don't know if they're done yet." 

Sounds to me that Cozart was the player Eppler was talking about when he said were gonna try to get better after they signed Kinsler. The I don't know if they're done yet sounds like, he doesn't know if their done yet or not. I wouldn't read too much into that. IMO...