• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Proper ways to manage Ohtani?

mp170.6

Pretend you're in Angels management.  How differently would you manage Ohtani given that there's little precedent for a player of his type?

I'll start because I have no faith in Scioscia to handle this properly -- assuming Ohtani is pitching on a regular basis, when he's hitting:  NO stealing bases, and NO sliding in head first.  Way too dangerous to risk an injury to his pitching hand or arm. 

Your turn...

12 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

Pretend you're in Angels management.  How differently would you manage Ohtani given that there's little precedent for a player of his type?

I'll start because I have no faith in Scioscia to handle this properly -- assuming Ohtani is pitching on a regular basis, when he's hitting:  NO stealing bases, and NO sliding in head first.  Way too dangerous to risk an injury to his pitching hand or arm. 

Your turn...

I take issue with this. You say that there is little to no precedent for this, yet you say you have no faith in how Scioscia will handle this? That's particularly difficult to accept because as has been reported widely, both Eppler and Scioscia said numerous times that they are going to work things out with Ohtani and his people, and that whatever plans they had on using him will get changed now that they can have 2-way conversations about it. We won't know how much of this comes from Scioscia or how much comes for Ohtani. So, it's not right to blame Scioscia for any and all perceived misuses when it will be a combination between him and Ohtani to work through this unprecedented fete.

I....actually think Scioscia will do a really good job here. I'm not a fan of the guy at this point, but he is for sure a conservative player's coach, and that may be exactly what Ohtani needs right now.

*edit - a coach who is conservative and also a player's coach, not a coach for conservative players.

**edit- though, maybe that too. Who knows.

23 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I take issue with this. You say that there is little to no precedent for this, yet you say you have no faith in how Scioscia will handle this? That's particularly difficult to accept because as has been reported widely, both Eppler and Scioscia said numerous times that they are going to work things out with Ohtani and his people, and that whatever plans they had on using him will get changed now that they can have 2-way conversations about it. We won't know how much of this comes from Scioscia or how much comes for Ohtani. So, it's not right to blame Scioscia for any and all perceived misuses when it will be a combination between him and Ohtani to work through this unprecedented fete.

There's nothing to take issue with because Ohtani hasn't played for the Angels yet.

Six-man rotation, 25-28 starts, max 180 innings.

Start with DHing two days a week (two days off before start, one day off after), but possibly work up to a third (one day off before start).

Available for pinch-hitting on any night he isn't pitching.

Available for pinch-running on any night he isn't pitching.

Let him steal bases if he slides feet first.

11 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

There's nothing to take issue with because Ohtani hasn't played for the Angels yet.

I took issue with the belief that Scioscia will handle this all wrong. What if he does everything that Ohtani and his people say he should do? Is it then always his fault for following their direction? If you don't like Scioscia, that's fine. But to just slam him (and by extension the organization) without facts is a bit much. Eppler and Scioscia were clear that they are going to have an ever evolving dialogue on how to handle this essentially unprecedented situation.

Just now, Dave Saltzer said:

I took issue with the belief that Scioscia will handle this all wrong. What if he does everything that Ohtani and his people say he should do? Is it then always his fault for following their direction?

Yes, because you're the train conductor of the Team Scioscia Express.  =)

I didn't mean for this thread to be a discussion about Scioscia, so don't read too much into it.  Any manager (team) would face challenges in this scenario.  I just happen to think some of  Scioscia's stubborn tendencies could be a problem.  I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

I didn't mean for this thread to be a discussion about Scioscia, so don't read too much into it.  Any manager (team) would face challenges in this scenario.  I just happen to think some of  Scioscia's stubborn tendencies could be a problem.  I hope I'm wrong.

Scioscia was part of the team that signed Ohtani.  I think Ohtani has full confidence in Scioscia to do what's best in the interest of the team and for his development as a player.  This was pretty much covered in the interviews and press conference after Ohtani signed.  And you are pretty much the conductor of the Dump Scioscia express, and I don't think you sincerely hope you're wrong.

8 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

I'm telling you, I was there. Scioscia and Eppler both said repeatedly that they will listen to Ohtani and his people when trying to develop what to do for him. There's no book written on this (I think Scioscia even said that). I'm not on the Scioscia express, but it's kind of ridiculous to keep reading people projecting a negative attribute on Scioscia (Scioscia won't listen, is stubborn, etc.) when they've been told repeatedly the exact opposite is the case when it comes to Ohtani. 

10 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I'm telling you, I was there. Scioscia and Eppler both said repeatedly that they will listen to Ohtani and his people when trying to develop what to do for him. There's no book written on this (I think Scioscia even said that). I'm not on the Scioscia express, but it's kind of ridiculous to keep reading people projecting a negative attribute on Scioscia (Scioscia won't listen, is stubborn, etc.) when they've been told repeatedly the exact opposite is the case when it comes to Ohtani. 

That's exactly right Dave, Scioscia will absolutely listen when you present you case well and with logical reasoning.  Dipoto never got through to him because Dipoto never presented his case thoroughly or well enough to make sense, and because he presented it from an arrogant and condescending manner.  Eppler knows how to communicate, and is heavily collaborative with Scioscia, it's been a whole new ballgame since Eppler came aboard.  Personally I believe they will discuss this issue all season long, and do absolutely the right thing to develop this kid.  When you have a GM working with a manager like this progress will get made, and both of them can bring a lot to the table toward success.

2 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

Your turn...

Well I actually got no faith in you knowing how to manage him....lol.

Scioscia is probably one of the best suited managers for Ohtani ... no worries here 

I’m still not sold on a six man rotation ... most ML pitchers are more comfortable pitching every fifth start. Even Darvish was quoted recently as saying he prefers every fifth day. 

I would keep Ohtani’s pitch count to around 80 pitches and DH him 2-3 a week to start. There’s going to be a learning curve with Ohtani. 

2 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

Bullshit,  if you didn't w and Scioscia the focus of the discussion why bring his name up?

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Six-man rotation, 25-28 starts, max 180 innings.

Start with DHing two days a week (two days off before start, one day off after), but possibly work up to a third (one day off before start).

Available for pinch-hitting on any night he isn't pitching.

Available for pinch-running on any night he isn't pitching.

Let him steal bases if he slides feet first.

This is exactly how I would do it.