• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

O'Dowd predicts Angels to get...

floplag

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

One thing is for certain, they aren't BOTH needed.  With Pujols playing 1B  1-2 times a week, we already somewhat have a RH hitting first baseman.  If we did indeed sign a third baseman, then I'd say we don't need Cron at all.  We can stick Valbuena at first to platoon and probably hold onto Marte to serve as a RH 3B/1B backup.  I'd ideally like a utility IF to cover SS/2B/3B.  Does Cowart have options remaining?  Not sure he really has a role on this team currently, but would provide good depth in the minors.

I don't hate the idea of Cowart playing as a defensive utility infielder. He has played a decent number of infield positions with +D. Even if that's all he is, that may be pretty useful for us.

Just now, krAbs said:

I don't hate the idea of Cowart playing as a defensive utility infielder. He has played a decent number of infield positions with +D. Even if that's all he is, that may be pretty useful for us.

Yeah, he has some utility.  It's a shame he can't hit better as a RH though, as that would fit perfectly into our current team.   I'd prefer to keep Cowart over Marte, and would be fine having him platoon with Valbuena at 3B, but his RH offense just isn't sufficient right now.

If we can sign LoMo, as the rumor is we are still highly intersted, then Cron is gone.  LoMo gets 5-6 starts a week at 1B, Pujols 1-2 (staggered such that Pujols starts 1B mainly against LHP).  Valbuena takes over 3B, platooning with Marte (who also serves as the backup 1B/3B).

Can Cowart play a competent SS?  If he can, then he can serve as the utility IF to cover SS/2B/3B.  If not, then find a utility infielder who can.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, he has some utility.  It's a shame he can't hit better as a RH though, as that would fit perfectly into our current team.   I'd prefer to keep Cowart over Marte, and would be fine having him platoon with Valbuena at 3B, but his RH offense just isn't sufficient right now.

Right- we are in 'go big or go home' mode right now, so there is no time to let him shit around in the majors trying to get his bat going. Evaluating him based on what he's shown, he seems like he would be most a late inning defensive replacement - kinda like a poor man's John Mcdonald. Plus Cowart has some speed, which is nice. May be a good cheap option moving forward.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If we can sign LoMo, as the rumor is we are still highly intersted, then Cron is gone.  LoMo gets 5-6 starts a week at 1B, Pujols 1-2 (staggered such that Pujols starts 1B mainly against LHP).  Valbuena takes over 3B, platooning with Marte (who also serves as the backup 1B/3B).

Can Cowart play a competent SS?  If he can, then he can serve as the utility IF to cover SS/2B/3B.  If not, then find a utility infielder who can.

Seeing how they gunshy they were about him playing 2B even, I'd be surprised if they see him as a SS option. 

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Hmm, good point. It looks like he played a couple dozen games at SS in the minors, but not much. If memory serves, he has been pretty quick at picking up positions in the past, so I don't think its outside of the realm of possibility.

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

After how Marte sucked at the plate in 2017, can't see him being in the equation any longer.    Probably was one of those one year emerging things in 2016, and then MLB pitchers as they are known to do, adjusted and he didn't in 2017.

Too early to cut bait on him.  I'd like to see if he re-adjusts back and can be a competent option against LHP.  It's not outside the realm of possibility.  He's cheap, so I'd like to see what we can get out of him if needed.

20 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Hmm, good point. It looks like he played a couple dozen games at SS in the minors, but not much. If memory serves, he has been pretty quick at picking up positions in the past, so I don't think its outside of the realm of possibility.

Right, exactly.  If we sign LoMo, then we are well-stocked with 1B/3B options (Pujols, LoMo, Valbuena, Cron, Marte).  We won't carry all of them, and I see Cron being traded if we do proceed forward with this plan.  Marte could still serve as a competent 3B/1B backup.

Given the above, it's critical that our other infield backup can occupy SS/2B.  If Cowart can, then awesome, but if not, then we need to find someone who does, given the way the roster is currently constructed.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Ah.  What about Cowart?  Given that, I'd keep Marte on the bench and see what he has, unless we sign a FT 3B.  If we do, then.. probably can move on without him.

Cowart has two options still - I actually can see him going back to SLC and working more on 2B, SS, and corner outfield positions and serving as our AAA UT IF option to call up and down as needed throughout the year for defensive help. He'd fit that role well.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Cowart has two options still - I actually can see him going back to SLC and working more on 2B, SS, and corner outfield positions and serving as our AAA UT IF option to call up and down as needed throughout the year for defensive help. He'd fit that role well.

Ah, cool.  Can you tell me where you see a list of minor league options?  Would be helpful for me as I shotgun random roster guesses. :)

1 hour ago, krAbs said:

I sometimes wonder what a AAAAA player would look like. Maybe Calhoun?

Not true! Kole is a solid supporting player! Not a Superstar Not an All-Star.... Consistent in what you get! .250-.275  15-25 HR's 70-80 RBI... When you surround him better hitters he actually steps up his game as he isn't a guaranteed out and he battles each at bat.

7 hours ago, ksangel said:

Typically, a 25-man roster will consist of five starting pitchers, seven relief pitchers, two catchers, six infielders, and five outfielders.

Starting with this premise, but changing it to six starting pitchers, seven relief pitchers and two catchers leaves 10 spots on the 25 man roster.

Trout, Upton, Calhoun, Simmons, new 2B, Pujols take six spots so that leaves four spots for 3B and reserve outfielders and infielders.

If they sign Moustakas and he plays 3B every day - he's not a candidate to play outfield and probably wouldn't play 1B,  that leaves three spots.

So do the Angels then carry only one spare outfielder and one spare infielder when Ohtani isn't playing or pitching because one of the three spots left would have to DH or play 1B?

The six man rotation puts a whole new spin on how the Angels fill the 10 remaining spots on the roster...flexibility will be key and signing Moustakas to play 3B would seem to hamper that flexibility.

If you see a six man rotation...I think we see only a six man pen.

I think guys like Valbuena are valuable for the bench because he can play multiple positions.

With Ohtani, Pujols and Valbuena, guys like Cron lose value to the Angels.

Our bench will be multiple position players.

Also, this isnt exactly the NL where you need to pull a double switch for the pitcher.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I disagree.  For the league minimum, I'd keep him on the roster as a backup 3B/1B if we don't get a FT 3B this offseason.  If we do, then I'd hang onto Cron instead and let Marte go.

You are not going to keep Marte for 1b/3b back up when you already have Valbuena in that role.  Only way Marte makes this club...Valbuena is our starting 3Bman.

40 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

You are not going to keep Marte for 1b/3b back up when you already have Valbuena in that role.  Only way Marte makes this club...Valbuena is our starting 3Bman.

Right, and I'm anticipating that will be the case - Valbuena will be the primary LH option against RHP.  Marte will bat against LHP.  We sign a LH option (LoMo? Adams?) to a reasonable 2 year deal.