• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your best guess

Docwaukee

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sign Cozart or trade for Kinsler?   Which do you all prefer? 

If thats the choice, Cozart.   younger, better numbers, doesnt cost prospects, i literally cant think of any reason i would prefer Kinsler in that scenario aside form possible cost money wise, but it isnt my money.
Question is would Cozart want to play 2B, has he ever expressed anything about that?  Were not moving Simba so, that would have to be part of it.

Ill admit i hadnt really though about Cowart as an option due to being a SS.
32 isnt that old, i could easily see a 2-3 year deal for the right money.
I dont know much about Cozart defensively though, anyone want to get me up to speed there as that might be a determining factor as i really want a plus defender beside Simba.  Plus doesnt seem to be a good runner and i was hoping for some of that out of 2B. 

I think perhaps the better question is what do you do if you add Walker to that equation.  

1. 3rd base- moustakas 4yrs 62 mil with an oppt out after The 2 second year and 5 year option 17mil.

2.  1st- Cron stays.

3. Either we trade for kinsler for Smith and a low level prospect 

Or we sign Walker to a 3 yr 36 mil

4. Tyler Chatswood at 2 yrs 15 mil.

5. Finish with getting petit( 2 yrs 13.64 mil) and Minor (3yr 20mil)

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. 3rd base- moustakas 4yrs 62 mil with an oppt out after The 2 second year and 5 year option 17mil.

2.  1st- Cron stays.

3. Either we trade for kinsler for Smith and a low level prospect 

Or we sign Walker to a 3 yr 36 mil

4. Tyler Chatswood at 2 yrs 15 mil.

5. Finish with getting petit( 2 yrs 13.64 mil) and Minor (3yr 20mil)

And we'll trade away Valbuena while eating 5 mil of The salary for a low level prospect.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

1) Angels go left handed in FA.

1B - Logan Morrison 3/36.

2B- Neil Walker 2/22 with 14M option for 2020.

3B- Mike Moustakas 5/80.

Total payroll addition = $39M AAV.

2) Angels trade /FA combo.

1B - Calhoun assumes 1B duties.

2B - Trade Luis Valbuena for Jason Kipnis and Ryan Merritt.

3B - Zack Cozart switches from SS to 3B. 3/42.

RF - Giancarlo Stanton. The Angels swap Cron, Barria, Bedrosian, Canning, Jones for him.

Total payroll addition = 40M AAV.

Why would the Indians trade Kipnis?  That would be selling very low.  Can’t imagine they’d do that.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Why would the Indians trade Kipnis?  That would be selling very low.  Can’t imagine they’d do that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/poll-what-will-the-indians-do-with-jason-kipnis.html

Kipnis is one of their best players, but their best player is also a natural 2nd baseman, and has been playing third. They will want a ton for him, even off a down year, but he is also expensive, and they may need the payroll flexibility.

They have a full outfield and two young players at third besides Ramirez, so it may just be that they have nowhere to play Kipnis.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/poll-what-will-the-indians-do-with-jason-kipnis.html

Kipnis is one of their best players, but their best player is also a natural 2nd baseman, and has been playing third. They will want a ton for him, even off a down year, but he is also expensive, and they may need the payroll flexibility.

They have a full outfield and two young players at third besides Ramirez, so it may just be that they have nowhere to play Kipnis.

Ah, I see.  I’m going to imagine the cost for him will be pretty high.  That said, I’d be totally on board if we could acquire him.  Hernandez is my top choice, but he’d be my second if he were truly available.

1B:  LoMo, as long as he accepts 2 years.  If his asking goes to 3, I think we pass.  I’d love Santana, but I’m thinking Eppler wants to keep accruing draft picks vs forfeiting them.

2B:  Kinsler.  He can be obtained cheaply and is still productive.  I would much rather have Hernandez, but the Phillies are under no obligation to move him.  Again, this move is done with keeping an eye on keeping our farm system in tact.

3B:  Valbuena / Marte.  Valbuena is signed for the year and does have some value, might as well use him.  I don’t think we will sign FAs at BOTH corners, so I am guessing this one stays the same.

SP:  No significant acquisitions, I hope.  We have a lot of depth, we just don’t have much front line talent.  I hope we don’t toss a multi-year 10mil/yr contract at an average starter for this reason.  If we can sign someone to an incentive-laden one year deal though, then that’s fine.

RP:  Resign Petit and acquire a LH reliever (McGee?).  We definitely need a lefty out of the pen, and I do think we address this.

Probably amounts to about 30-35 mil added this year, which keeps us comfortably under the salary cap.

2B Kinsler

CF Trout

LF Upton

1B Morrison

DH Pujols

RF Calhoun 

SS Simmons

3B Valbuena / Marte

C Maldonado

28 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

What's with all the Kinsler love? Am I just a dick that doesn't get it?

He's still a solid baseball player, and out of all the names mentioned - Walker, Hernandez, Gordon, Cozart, he probably comes at the cheapest price and least commitment. Last year was quite the down year for him, yet he still pulled in 2.1 WAR, had 50 extra base hits, stole 14 bases, and had a solid 55 to 86 walk to strikeout ratio, all with good defense. Even if that is his new norm, it'd be a reasonable upgrade (for the cost) at 2B, especially if we see a major upgrade at 3B or 1B still. 

At 36, his age next season will be a little scary (which is why I could see him sliding to 3B and time-sharing with Luis a bit) but he had a stronger second half than first half, and has been very consistent over his career. Don't need to worry about him transitioning to the AL either, which we'd face with all of the other popular names being floated.

For what it's worth, if the Angels do acquire him and see him as a potential 3B, I could see them starting with him there in the everyday role, and, if he starts showing his age, you could split his time with Valbuena. Kinsler crushed lefties last year (.278/.357/.539/.896, 15 XBH, 13 walks, 14 strikeouts in 129 PA) and over his career, has a .304/.371/.509/.881 slash against lefties. That split has not wavered at all in recent years either. That could work out nicely for the Halos.

If the Angels planted Kinsler and Valbuena at 3B, one of the Hernandez/Walker/Gordon/Cozart guys at 2B, and upgrade at 1B, you've improved this offense in a big way. A lot of versatility in case anyone struggles or gets hurt and blend of tools.

16 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm thinking....

1. We sign LoMo for 2/25 with an option to make it 3/40.

2. We trade Profar for Jewell and Scribner.

3. Dee Gordon falls into our laps for Chris Rodriguez and Jesus Castillo and the full assumption of his contract in January.

4. We do manage to bring back Petit.

5. Cron ends up being traded for a halfway decent but far off prospect in A Ball.

Yeah i think we may be giving to much in that trade for Gordon, i can see it for Hernandez but not Gordon. I'd probably start with Castillo as the main peace and than add a lower level prospect that's out of our top 20.  

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's the general consensus yeah. 

Personally i would rather keep Chris than trade him and hope that he learned something or makes the proper adjustments for next year. Quite frankly his number don't stand out that well but i check his FIP a bit ago and it was around 3 which suggest that bad luck was involved in his 6 ERA. In the starts that he did not struggle in, he pretty much dominated older competition. Like i said if he can make small adjustments next year, he has a chance to increase his value and  be a top 100 guys  

Eppler has been so damn frugal with prospects that I really don't see him trading any of our Top 15 guys or so unless it's for a very legitimate talent that is young and under control, and I think Miami has been asking that still for Dee, otherwise frankly I think we would have already traded for him, probably even last season.

I also think Eppler doesn't feel Hernandez is worth that...yet. He likes buying low on vets in trades and I think he will lean more on FA with his extra payroll this year.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Eppler has been so damn frugal with prospects that I really don't see him trading any of our Top 15 guys or so unless it's for a very legitimate talent that is young and under control, and I think Miami has been asking that still for Dee, otherwise frankly I think we would have already traded for him, probably even last season.

I also think Eppler doesn't feel Hernandez is worth that...yet.

Well I think I was overshooting the mark a bit when I said Jesus Castillo and Chris Rodriguez.  That's a legitimate offer and if I'm to predict Dee sort of falls into our lap, it would probably be a better deal than that.  Probably Chris Rodriguez alone and the assumption of Dee's contract. 

I love that Eppler has been frugal with our prospects, I hope he keeps it up because someday I'd really love to see Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell all playing on the same team.  

44 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He's still a solid baseball player, and out of all the names mentioned - Walker, Hernandez, Gordon, Cozart, he probably comes at the cheapest price and least commitment. Last year was quite the down year for him, yet he still pulled in 2.1 WAR, had 50 extra base hits, stole 14 bases, and had a solid 55 to 86 walk to strikeout ratio, all with good defense. Even if that is his new norm, it'd be a reasonable upgrade (for the cost) at 2B, especially if we see a major upgrade at 3B or 1B still. 

At 36, his age next season will be a little scary (which is why I could see him sliding to 3B and time-sharing with Luis a bit) but he had a stronger second half than first half, and has been very consistent over his career. Don't need to worry about him transitioning to the AL either, which we'd face with all of the other popular names being floated.

For what it's worth, if the Angels do acquire him and see him as a potential 3B, I could see them starting with him there in the everyday role, and, if he starts showing his age, you could split his time with Valbuena. Kinsler crushed lefties last year (.278/.357/.539/.896, 15 XBH, 13 walks, 14 strikeouts in 129 PA) and over his career, has a .304/.371/.509/.881 slash against lefties. That split has not wavered at all in recent years either. That could work out nicely for the Halos.

If the Angels planted Kinsler and Valbuena at 3B, one of the Hernandez/Walker/Gordon/Cozart guys at 2B, and upgrade at 1B, you've improved this offense in a big way. A lot of versatility in case anyone struggles or gets hurt and blend of tools.

Check out last year's stats against righties. That's what you're getting 80% of his at bats. Old and worn out.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

How about Freddie Freeman?

Under control through 2021 and a legit MVP caliber player.

I could live with parting with some pretty significant prospects to get that guy.

Freddie would require some serious talent that would put the rebuilding back a few years.

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

What's with all the Kinsler love? Am I just a dick that doesn't get it?

He’d be the cheapest to acquire for sure.  Just one year left on his deal, so if he has a down year, he’s gone anyway.

My preference is still Hernandez, but if his price tag is too expensive, then Kinsler is a decent, cheaper (in terms of prospects) alternative.

Just now, eligrba said:

Freddie would require some serious talent that would put the rebuilding back a few years.

This team is not rebuilding.

It is almost fully built with a parallel project to improve the talent in the minors.

Prospects are only useful in two ways.  They get promoted and help you win or you trade them for pieces you need to win.

I would bet good money that nobody the Angels have in the minors right now will ever have a season as good Freeman had last year or this coming year.

I dig prospects probably more than most people actually but for certain players you go ahead and spend them.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Especially when you don't need too many birds.

10 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

Check out last year's stats against righties. That's what you're getting 80% of his at bats. Old and worn out.

I did - and that's why I speculated that there's a chance the Halos are looking at him as a third baseman. If the struggles against righties continue, you have a natural platoon with Valbuena. 

He also had an .809 OPS against righties in '16, so he isn't far-removed from success on that side of the plate. He's long been a fiery player and he played on a terrible Tigers team that was being broken down piece by piece throughout the year, and there is some argument that he was the victim of bad luck. He had a career low BAbip (.244) but a decrease in SO% (16.9% to 14%) and an increase in BB% (6.6% to 9%) and his ISO was right in line with his career numbers.

I do think he is regressing, but for one year, would be worth the gamble - a .250/.330/.420/.750 guy with 25 doubles, 15 homers, and 10 steals would be solid for us, and probably still a 2 win player that costs us a middling prospect at best. Dollar for dollar, that'd be a great value trade.

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Well I think I was overshooting the mark a bit when I said Jesus Castillo and Chris Rodriguez.  That's a legitimate offer and if I'm to predict Dee sort of falls into our lap, it would probably be a better deal than that.  Probably Chris Rodriguez alone and the assumption of Dee's contract. 

I love that Eppler has been frugal with our prospects, I hope he keeps it up because someday I'd really love to see Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell all playing on the same team.  

It would be amazing to see a line-up similar to this by 2020 

- Jones, Thasis, Adell, Trout, Marsh, Upton, Simmons, .........Etc

and a rotation of -

Rodriguez, Canning, Barria............. 

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This team is not rebuilding.

It is almost fully built with a parallel project to improve the talent in the minors.

Prospects are only useful in two ways.  They get promoted and help you win or you trade them for pieces you need to win.

I would bet good money that nobody the Angels have in the minors right now will ever have a season as good Freeman had last year or this coming year.

I dig prospects probably more than most people actually but for certain players you go ahead and spend them.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Especially when you don't need too many birds.

...unless the remaining birds are all starlings.....

I understand that prospects are the currency of MLB, but I am not sure if the smart thing at this time would be to drain the account for a single player that would not be a difference maker on the major league level, but would certainly be a difference maker to the composition of the farm.