• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels, Dodgers beef up 40-man rosters in advance of Rule 5 draft deadline

AngelsWin.com

The Angels added four players to their 40-man roster, and the Dodgers added two, on the final day for minor leaguers to be added or risk being claimed in the Rule 5 draft in December.

Right-handed pitchers Jaime Barria, Jesus Castillo and Jake Jewell and outfielder Michael Hermosillo gave the Angels 36 players on their 40-man roster.

Barria, 21, advanced through three levels of the Angels’ organization in 2017. He finished with three starts at Triple-A Salt Lake in which he allowed just four earned runs. A native of Panama, Barria was the Angels’ only representative at the Futures Game in July.

Castillo, a 22-year-old from Venezuela, also pitched at three levels of the Angels’ system. In five starts at Double-A Tulsa he posted a 3.04 ERA with 22 strikeouts in 23-2/3 innings.

Jewell, 24, a fifth-round draft pick in 2014, made 26 starts this season across two levels. He finished at Double-A Mobile, posting a 4.84 ERA.

Hermosillo, 22, led the organization in stolen bases with 35 across three levels in 2017. In 30 games with Triple-A Salt Lake, he batted .287 with a .341 on-base percentage and .487 slugging percentage. The former 28th-round draft pick can play all three outfield positions.

Because they had eight empty spots on their 40-man roster, the Angels did not have to make any corresponding roster moves.

The Dodgers added right-handed pitchers Dennis Santana and Trevor Oaks to their 40-man roster. Right-handed pitcher Josh Ravin was designated for assignment and left-handed pitcher Grant Dayton was claimed by the Atlanta Braves. Their 40-man roster is full.

Oaks, a 24-year-old from Riverside, went 4-3 with a 3.64 ERA for Triple-A Oklahoma City before an oblique injury ended his 2017 season.

Santana, 21, split the 2017 season between Class-A Rancho Cucamonga and Double-A Tulsa. Across the two levels he struck out 129 batters in 118-1/3 innings with a 4.11 ERA.

Ravin, a Chatsworth High product, made 33 relief appearances for the Dodgers over the last three years, going 2-2 with a 5.05 ERA. The 29-year-old right-hander finished the season on the 60-day disabled list with an abdominal injury, but that was not expected to cut into his 2018 season.

Dayton had Tommy John surgery on his left elbow in August, a procedure that carries a 12- to 18-month recovery timeframe. He went 1-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 54 games out of the Dodgers’ bullpen over the past two seasons.

View the full article

Yeah it'll be interesting to see the organization's plans for these guys.

1. Barria is probably the easiest to forecast. He'll be a pretty solid starting pitcher. Cheap, effective and likely an Angel for a long time.

2. Castillo will also be a good major league starter, but you have to wonder, with young guys like Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano, as well as Barria and Canning, and the possibility to re-signing Richards or trading for an ace, will he get his shot with the Angels? I hope so.

3. Hermosillo is the hardest to forecast. He's exactly what Eppler is looking for. Gets on base, has some pop, gets himself into scoring position, plays very good defense, is a good teammate, is inexpensive and is major league ready by age 23. So why is he being viewed as a 4th OF, when he could be viewed as Calhoun's replacement? Is he a starter or s backup? Will it be in Anaheim or elsewhere?

4. Jewell is a reliever, through and through. I mean that's great they stretched him as a starter and improved his stamina and durability, but his arsenal is obvious reliever. If used right, Jewell can be a JC Ramirez type for the Angels in 2018. Hard throwing reliever that has no problem covering 6 outs.

13 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

1. Barria is probably the easiest to forecast. He'll be a pretty solid starting pitcher. Cheap, effective and likely an Angel for a long time.

2. Castillo will also be a good major league starter, but you have to wonder, with young guys like Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano, as well as Barria and Canning, and the possibility to re-signing Richards or trading for an ace, will he get his shot with the Angels? I hope so.

3. Hermosillo is the hardest to forecast. He's exactly what Eppler is looking for. Gets on base, has some pop, gets himself into scoring position, plays very good defense, is a good teammate, is inexpensive and is major league ready by age 23. So why is he being viewed as a 4th OF, when he could be viewed as Calhoun's replacement? Is he a starter or s backup? Will it be in Anaheim or elsewhere?

4. Jewell is a reliever, through and through. I mean that's great they stretched him as a starter and improved his stamina and durability, but his arsenal is obvious reliever. If used right, Jewell can be a JC Ramirez type for the Angels in 2018. Hard throwing reliever that has no problem covering 6 outs.

I Think Barria will be used as trait bate over Castillo, But both guys may not be traded either. The reason i think this, is that Castillo has more upside than Barria does,   I posted a small post on a few of our prospects a few days ago on the Prospect form. Personallyonce Castillo body fill up and we probably looking at a guy that is 6'2 190 + Lb, with a fastball that 90-93 and can hit as high as 95, with a plus change and a good third pitch. He has a chance to be a solid 3 that can give you 200 inning, I can all so see him being a 2 due to his really good control in the further. 

If everything plans out i could the followinggrades for Castillo and Barria

Barria- FB- 55   Curveball- 50 change- 60  Command- 65 overall- 55

Castillo- Fb- 60   Curve-55       Change- 60    Command ---60      overall - 60

Jewell is a reliever to be with his Fb/ Changeup and slider comb. 

33 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I Think Barria will be used as trait bate over Castillo, But both guys may not be traded either. The reason i think this, is that Castillo has more upside than Barria does,   I posted a small post on a few of our prospects a few days ago on the Prospect form. Personallyonce Castillo body fill up and we probably looking at a guy that is 6'2 190 + Lb, with a fastball that 90-93 and can hit as high as 95, with a plus change and a good third pitch. He has a chance to be a solid 3 that can give you 200 inning, I can all so see him being a 2 due to his really good control in the further. 

I'd rather not think of any of these guys as trade bait.  The Angels' dearth of minor league talent has been well-chronicled, but it appears to be turning around now.  I'd like to hang onto as many of these guys as possible, especially guys like Barria, who could be a cheap backend starter for us for a number of years.

Depth gets you through the season and star talent carries you in the postseason.  We certainly have some legit star talent on this team, but we need more depth to carry us through.  And well, perhaps another star, too. :)

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

You sound like you've been reading my scouting reports for the last couple years. Except I think you're waiting on something that isn't coming in regards to Castillo.

He was a high profile international signing with the belief that he would go from throwing 87-88 as a 16 year old to 95 as a mature adult. Only this didn't happen at age 17 or 18. By the time he was 19, he was throwing 89-90 and it just didn't look like a ton was left in the tank.

The Angels dealt for him in the Joe Smith deal more as an act of desperation or filler because he was buried on the Cubs depth chart. He pitched well, showed an advanced feel with his off-speed pitches and generated a lot of swing and misses. The Angels sent him a diet and training regimen over the winter to follow, and he did. 

He packed on a solid 20 lbs, the Angels tinkered very slightly with his delivery (hips and thighs as I understand to take the pressure off his shoulder and elbow. It was a clean delivery but a player must still develop properly). Castillo started throwing 92-94 with his trademark command and pitchability.

But when you see Castillo's body type in interviews right now, he looks fully developed. If he developed anymore, he'd lose shoulder mobility and have to change things around with his delivery. 

15 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

With 4 more spots open, I wonder why the didn't add Damien Magnifico to the 40 man roster?

They out-righted him off the 40-Man in August. He is the type of guy you don't waste a 40-man spot on in the off season. He'll likely be eligible for the Rule 5, but if they lose him they lose him.

They are obviously planning for some free agency additions and may also want to keep a spot open for guys who will be Rule 5 eligible from other organizations.

17 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

You sound like you've been reading my scouting reports for the last couple years. Except I think you're waiting on something that isn't coming in regards to Castillo.

He was a high profile international signing with the belief that he would go from throwing 87-88 as a 16 year old to 95 as a mature adult. Only this didn't happen at age 17 or 18. By the time he was 19, he was throwing 89-90 and it just didn't look like a ton was left in the tank.

The Angels dealt for him in the Joe Smith deal more as an act of desperation or filler because he was buried on the Cubs depth chart. He pitched well, showed an advanced feel with his off-speed pitches and generated a lot of swing and misses. The Angels sent him a diet and training regimen over the winter to follow, and he did. 

He packed on a solid 20 lbs, the Angels tinkered very slightly with his delivery (hips and thighs as I understand to take the pressure off his shoulder and elbow. It was a clean delivery but a player must still develop properly). Castillo started throwing 92-94 with his trademark command and pitchability.

But when you see Castillo's body type in interviews right now, he looks fully developed. If he developed anymore, he'd lose shoulder mobility and have to change things around with his delivery. 

Yes I've read a lot of your report and i'm a big fan. I think your scouting reports are pretty accurate. On the Castillo's topic i did  not know that that he had fully developed oops. But i'm hoping your scouting report is wrong on this one and he surprise us (lol). But if not i think he has good enough control that he's similar to Barria. 

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

They are obviously planning for some free agency additions and may also want to keep a spot open for guys who will be Rule 5 eligible from other organizations.

I'm not a fan of taking other teams rule 5 guys. They take up a spot on the 25 man roster and can't be sent down. Featherston comes to mind.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:11 PM, Scotty@AW said:

I hope Jewell makes the team next season because he gives me an excuse to post certain pictures again in my weekly recap...

jewel-kilcher-49th-annual-academy-of-country-music-awards-01.jpg

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hermosillo already > Revere, for the money?

Defensively i think Hermosillo is better and can get even better. He will get paid minimum, and won't "lose a step" for several more years, as many veterans have already done so. Offensively, i don't think he will be a great hitter, but could become an above average hitter.