• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

11 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

He could well get cut. Or extended actually. But here's from mlbtr:

While it’s too late for the O’s to pull back their decision to tender him a contract, the club could end up releasing Britton to avoid paying him the full contract value. So long as he’s released before the 16th day of Spring Training, the O’s can avoid all but thirty days worth of salary.

They’re screwed. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not really.  They can extend him and if he comes back they get him at a discount.  Not to mention they got tremendous value out of him so far in his career.  

Yeah but they’re paying him now and they need him. The timing of Britton’s injury coupled with the Machado drama just doesn’t bode well for the O’s. They’re a mess right now. 

11 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Orioles GM said if offers don’t improve by Thursday Machado is off the trade market

Lololololololololol fucking joke of an organization 

Well if I was the O’s GM I would ask for a ton in return for Machado. He has to be categorized as one of the top 10 players in the world. He certainly shouldn’t give him away. 

3 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Well if I was the O’s GM I would ask for a ton in return for Machado. He has to be categorized as one of the top 10 players in the world. He certainly shouldn’t give him away. 

They need to be realistic with their demands. No one is going to pay a fortune for one year of Machado in prospect capital - but I bet they could get one or two really interesting young pre-arb players, an elite prospect, and a lotto ticket. 

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

It’s a catch 22, if you ask for too much and aren’t able to trade him then you get a 2nd round pick when he walks.  He doesn’t have as much value as you might think. Lesser players with more control (Ozuna)  will demand much more of a return. 

2 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Snell and Colome

They need 3rd and 1st base too.  How about Valbuena, Cron, Jones, Barria, Thaiss, and Ward? We'll also take either Brad Miller, Matt Duffy or Hechavarria and We'll also take on Span as our 4th OFer to offset the Valbuena and Cron $$.     

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They need to be realistic with their demands. No one is going to pay a fortune for one year of Machado in prospect capital - but I bet they could get one or two really interesting young pre-arb players, an elite prospect, and a lotto ticket. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s a catch 22, if you ask for too much and aren’t able to trade him then you get a 2nd round pick when he walks.  He doesn’t have as much value as you might think. Lesser players with more control (Ozuna)  will demand much more of a return. 

He’s truly a young game changer. He’s not in any decline so any return would have to be enormous. The Orioles might just try to bite the bullet and keep him in an attempt to extend him. On the flip side if you’re a quality organization trying to trade for him you have to plan on keeping him long term if you give up top prospects to get him.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Be interesting to see what'd happen with Gyorko, Wong, Carpenter, or Garcia in that scenario. Any would be great for the Halos last bat.

As I indicated in the Primer Series I think Carpenter would be a good fit here (Gyorko wouldn't be bad either) with our current roster. Prior to Kinsler/Cozart I would have recommended the other two as well (Wong and Garcia) and did actually do that in the Series too.

Right now Carpenter makes the most sense. The Cardinals are near their 2017 payroll expenditures and they have been rumored to be after Machado and Donaldson as a short-term upgrade but Moustakas' name was floated as a target too. If they upgrade at 3B (or SS with Machado) they have to maneuver DeJong, Wong, Gyorko, Martinez, and Carpenter over the remaining three positions. Also they have their utility backup which is Garcia unless they decide one of those others is a better utility choice. Out of all those guys Matt Carpenter is the most expensive by far.

For the Angels he could play 1B while picking up some games at 3B and DH too. He'd provide a really nice lead-off option with his high OBP and contact skills (or the 2-hole). Would be a really solid pickup for us if the money is really available (or we trade Valbuena and/or Shoe for instance to mitigate the increase).

38 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

He’s truly a young game changer. He’s not in any decline so any return would have to be enormous. The Orioles might just try to bite the bullet and keep him in an attempt to extend him. On the flip side if you’re a quality organization trying to trade for him you have to plan on keeping him long term if you give up top prospects to get him.

It won’t be enormous because it’s only for a year.  

4 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Orioles GM said if offers don’t improve by Thursday Machado is off the trade market

Lololololololololol fucking joke of an organization 

The only team saying and doing more dumb stuff publicly are the Marlins...    Sometimes it's better to say nothing than expose the stupid.   This same front office said they didn't bid on Ohtani because they don't believe in the posting process..    So, they weren't going to try to get a franchise altering player .... because principle...

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only team saying and doing more dumb stuff publicly are the Marlins...    Sometimes it's better to say nothing than expose the stupid.   This same front office said they didn't bit on Ohtani because they don't believe in the posting process..    So, they weren't going to try to get a franchise altering player .... because principle...

Psst the Mariners

3 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Depends on who the buyer is. If it’s a rich contender that’s ready to extend him to a multi year deal that Machado likes playing for then it’s worth paying a premium. He’s that good. 

Everyone who would trade for him would want to sign him to an extension.  He has already said he’s testing free agency.  If they won’t trade him to the Yankees then they probably won’t trade him to the Red Sox.  The Cubs don’t need him, the Dodgers could and move Turner back to 2nd.  However the Dodgers still haven’t given out a $100m deal and he will require 3 times that.  Then you add to that he says he wants to go back to SS.  I really don’t know where he will end up but he isn’t going to get the type of return people think. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Everyone who would trade for him would want to sign him to an extension.  He has already said he’s testing free agency.  If they won’t trade him to the Yankees then they probably won’t trade him to the Red Sox.  The Cubs don’t need him, the Dodgers could and move Turner back to 2nd.  However the Dodgers still haven’t given out a $100m deal and he will require 3 times that.  Then you add to that he says he wants to go back to SS.  I really don’t know where he will end up but he isn’t going to get the type of return people think. 

They may be better off dealing him at deadline when a team would feel more inclined to overpay for a stretch run.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only team saying and doing more dumb stuff publicly are the Marlins...    Sometimes it's better to say nothing than expose the stupid.   This same front office said they didn't bit on Ohtani because they don't believe in the posting process..    So, they weren't going to try to get a franchise altering player .... because principle...

The Orioles I believe were one of three teams that didn’t get involved with Ohtani. I also think the posting process is kinda lame. I know the process has changed but I think the Rangers payed over $50M just to have exclusive negotiating rights with Yu Darvish. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

agree.  especially if he puts up another sub .800 ops season.  I think it will be somewhere in the range of 9/230.  

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Yankees are in a perfect position to pounce on deal at any moment. They could wait and see about a change of heart from the Orioles for Machado. They could jump in on Moose. They could easily sign Nunez or give one of their young prospects Andujar a shot at 3B. They have the money and a huge stock of prospects to get things done.