• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

school cancels halloween

I teach high school, and I don't think we've ever had any type of mandatory assembly or activities for Halloween.

Anyway, If it's student-initiated (like a team prayer before the game or something like that), it's fine, no matter the religion. It would be quite illegal of a coach, teacher, or principal to break up the student-initiated prayer, actually.  It's when school personnel organize or endorse activities that require groups of students participate in any sort of religious practice/observation that it becomes a problem.  A parent/teacher/administrator leading a Christian/Muslim/Wiccan prayer once the students are all seated in a classroom or assembly is an example.  

Here's a real-world example. My school's IB program kids participate in an academic retreat to a camp a couple hours away every year. It's about 50 kids. All meals and lodging are provided by the camp for a fee we pay.  It's a Christian camp, and the people in charge of the camp lead a Christian prayer before each meal and tell everybody to bow their heads before beginning.  It's a potential problem.  Think about why, and see if you can leave the emotional reaction you might have as a follower of such and such religion, as well as any irrelevant thoughts about what non-religious/other religious kids should or shouldn't do in your humble opinion. 

14 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

What has that got to do with Halloween?

There couldn't be a more secular holiday.

I guess that I wasn't clear on thinking it was silly with Halloween.  I didn't read the OP. Were there practicing pagans or Wiccans or something, lol?

I think it's equally silly that a public school would have any type of organized activities during school hours for Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc.  That's a huge waste of money and time on taxpayers' dimes. 

Memorial Day and Veteran's Day assemblies are different for me, though I'm sure some people see those as an equal waste of tax dollars. 

32 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

I guess that I wasn't clear on thinking it was silly with Halloween.  I didn't read the OP. Were there practicing pagans or Wiccans or something, lol?

I think it's equally silly that a public school would have any type of organized activities during school hours for Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc.  That's a huge waste of money and time on taxpayers' dimes. 

Memorial Day and Veteran's Day assemblies are different for me, though I'm sure some people see those as an equal waste of tax dollars. 

You are the teacher but it would seem to me that a few things like that throughout the school year makes it a little bit more fun and gives them something to look forward too.

yeah, totally just a my opinion thing

kids are always wild on those days, too, so it's not like i can get a lot of instruction done

it's just not a really important issue to me, so i don't mind being all over the place with it, lol

4 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

yeah, totally just a my opinion thing

kids are always wild on those days, too, so it's not like i can get a lot of instruction done

it's just not a really important issue to me, so i don't mind being all over the place with it, lol

Fair enough.  How is school going for you this year?

good

no prep hour for me this year, so i only get a 40 minute lunch break from kids, but i've got some pretty stellar classes

completely misread one girl's behavior the other day, and regret it.  found out later she was going to testify against her mother in a hearing later in the day. 99% of behavior problems in my classes have nothing to do with my class, but are because of outside garbage in kids' lives. i just totally missed it this time. hate it when that happens. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

When I was in school I think there were no special activities on Halloween. You went home, got into your costume and went out Trick Or Treating.

exactly. it wasn't a school event. it's a fake holiday anyway, no reason to involve school in it.

16 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Fake?  You mean ghouls and goblins are not real?

Next thing you're going to tell me is that Santa Claus isn't real.

No, Santa Claus is real.  It's the Easter Bunny who isn't real.  To tell you the real truth, the Easter Bunny is really Santa Claus in a speedo.  He's one hairy mo fo.  I mean really, a 5 foot tall bunny, geeze, talk about fantasy.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

No, Santa Claus is real.  It's the Easter Bunny who isn't real.  To tell you the real truth, the Easter Bunny is really Santa Claus in a speedo.  He's one hairy mo fo.  I mean really, a 5 foot tall bunny, geeze, talk about fantasy.

I hope there are no kids reading this post.  You just ruined Christmas with the hairy Santa Claus in a speedo thing.

On 10/24/2017 at 12:41 PM, Jay said:

When I was in school I think there were no special activities on Halloween. You went home, got into your costume and went out Trick Or Treating.

Same here. Halloween was always about going door to door in the evening. We never did anything in school that I recall.