• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Obviously we will win the protest...

"B ) if the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness"

The Angels should win the protest, but they won't. When was the last time a team won a protest? There was a game last year that Angel fans thought the Angels were going to win the protest, but sure enough MLB blew off the protest. 

I think it was something like 1986 when a team last won a protest.

I think the rule states the game gets replayed only if the protested incident had a true effect on the outcome of the game. In this case, we knew we were going to lose so I doubt anything happens.

Ya, there is this:

A portion of Rule 4.19 states:

Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.

Which seems pretty iffy as a rule.

Here is the text of the rule that Scioscia is protesting:

( a ) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire-inchief, as provided in Rules 4.01 ( a ) and 4.01 ( b ), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief, incapacitates him from pitching.
( b ) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chiefs judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.
( c ) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out.
Rule 3.05( c ) Comment: If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05( c ) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire-in-chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

The fact that the Angels were forced to use 3 hitters Ithe batter being replaced, a batter to replace the original batter, and a third batter to replace the replacement) during a single at-bat without injury to any member of the offense should create a situation that affects the outcome of the game.

This is one of those fundamental "blow it" calls by an umpire that stands a very real chance of being upheld and replayed because it is not a "discretionary" call.  This was not due to oversight because the issue was brought to the umpire's attention by the manager prior to the next pitch being thrown, and the umpire actively made an improper ruling and then did not correct it on the field.

To be frank, it would absolutely stun me if this game does not get replayed because of the nature of rule being protested.  There is no gray area in this ruling whatsoever.  The only way that this ruling could be upheld by MLB is if the original pitcher named became injured during his warm-up, which I find highly unlikely.

I know you're being ironic, so ;)

For those that don't understand how the protest rule works (I know you're out there reading this right now), the Angels will most likely drop the protest since they won. It's a moot point now.

How did all four umps blow that call? It's mind-boggling. Also, what's up with that fat bastard that missed the call at first base earlier in the game? That directly led to the Astros tying the game. Doesn't MLB's health insurance have vision coverage? Weird and wild stuff going on with these umps lately.

With how many times managers question calls, you would think they have a rule book at their hip. This way when they go ballistic, they can shove the rule in the umps face to back it up.

But someone like Ozzie would just throw in a few of his rules in there.

So what happens then?  Do we replay the game from that point?

We would have if the Angels had lost. Them winning nullified the protest.

I'll bet that almost every poster on this board knew the rule in question. Incredible that no one on the umpiring crew did. They conferred at least twice and still got it wrong. I could see Scioscia saying to them over and over again "He has to face one batter."