• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can we re-hire Stoneman?

He is still employed by the Angels.  I see him at the stadium occasionally.

You've gotta be joking, though.   How different would it be with Stoneman?  He would've convinced Arte not to sign Pujols or Hamilton?  He would have balked at trading for Greinke?   He would prevented Haren from decline and an off year from Santana?  He'd fix Pujols' foot?   

This team has had some bad luck. They've had a bad start. This nonsense about the GM is tired.  I don't remember anybody being afraid the Angels would lose 100 games.   

Dipoto dealt for Skaggs and Corbin.  

Hellweg and Pena?  Meh.  Roach would be somewhat of a point. Angels are not hurting for infielders, so Segura is a moot point.  He rolled the dice.  If Greinke had gotten off to a better start with the Angels... he finished great...  they could've gotten in the playoffs, then who knows.  

This team is off to a crappy start because they are off to a crappy start, not because they are a crappy team.  The crap Scioscia and Dipoto are getting for it is comical.  They will do better.  

We discussed this in the chat a bit.  I was one of those people who wanted Stoneman gone.  I was tired of the pitching heavy and slappy offense teams that failed in the playoffs, and Stoneman not going after the big bat or making the big trade.  In hindsight though Stoneman's philosophy, and the team's philosophy, was right at the time.  While I was frustrated with those teams not doing well in the playoffs, they were MAKING THE PLAYOFFS, unlike the last 3 years.

He obviously made mistakes like HGH Jr. and letting Glaus go, but I don't see Stoneman as the type who would trade away Skaggs, Corbin, Segura, and Hellweg (at least not all of them).  The team just seemed to develop young pitching so much better back then.  Lackey, Shields, and Frankie were the backbone of the 2000's glory years, and we developed other guys like Weaver, Santana, and Saunders to compliment them.  The team's recent failures have made me realize that pitching is the single most important ingredient to a winning organization.

Verducci's article yesterday points out how over the last four seasons, free agency has become a "sucker's bet". Only 3 of the last 24 free agents signed the last four years have "earned" their contract. Of the 24, I would say only Beltre was a no-brainer that his team would do it again. Let's wait and see on Fielder.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130507/free-agents-josh-hamilton-bj-upton/index.html

Until the owner and GM of the team understands this, I think this isn't going to change.