• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The tragic downfall of Albert Pujols

4 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Call me naive, but I believe he will retire early.

You're naive.  He won't quit a job that pays 25+M/yr to put on a uniform and basically watch 162 baseball games from the dugout.  When he can't run anymore, he'll become coach Pujols while still collecting his remaining millions.

30 minutes ago, 70runner said:

You're naive.  He won't quit a job that pays 25+M/yr to put on a uniform and basically watch 162 baseball games from the dugout.  When he can't run anymore, he'll become coach Pujols while still collecting his remaining millions.

We'll find out in a few years one way or the other. Then one of us will pull a "Lou" and dredge up this thread to post "I agree" at that time.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

I'll bet anybody here a full Tommy Burger dinner, with all the trimmings, that Pujols ain't leaving one single penny on the table.

He'll continue to go down the shitter, then about mid 2018 or 2019, he'll go on the mystery DL, then get release within a year.  Every single sheckle GA-RON-TEED

Can I get in on this?  Maybe something more, $100 donation to the Miracle League?  

5 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don't mind being the resident troll ... but, what does that make you, Queen Troll? You troll everyone on this forum ... It's no secret 

Nah, not a troll. More like self-appointed publicist and defender of everything Angels. Baghdad Bob of Anaheim. He gets so mad at anything negative posted. Look out for the PMs, lol. 

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think the biggest takeway for me is that Albert Pujols' wife is a complete and utter moron: She was angry at God because the Cardinals only offered 10/$220 million. Fuck you, Mrs Pujols.

Which is exactly why retiring early is out of the question. If he retires early then the value of his contract will become less than what the Cardinals offered him to begin with so getting mad at God was idiotic.

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea if we know one thing it's that situations never change, ever.  

Strad, he has superstar status like Kobe, Shaq, Jordon, A-Rod, Magic, Jeter, Gretzky. Those guys never left money on the table and neither will Albert. These type of athletes are very rare because they were the greatest at their trade but they all have some type of narcissism that leads them to believe that they are owed every dime and more because of the money the team and league made while they were great.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

It's not like we are going to talk about playoff scenarios.

Two or three more wild cards would open up a lot of possibilities.

But that won't be happening, so yes, no playoff scenarios this year. Or next year...or the year after that...or...

Nice summary Brent. As I mentioned to you on Twitter, I am disappointed that Pujols dropped his line drive, all fields approach when he was in STL to favor this more pull heavy, fly ball (home run) approach that he has shown more in Anaheim. The BABIP numbers reflect less line drives and more ground balls and fly balls which suppress the component parts of BABIP.

Whether it was a suggested change by the front office/coaches, a cognizant decision on Albert's part, or simply age-related regression this will permanently cement this contract as a major loss to the Angels from a financial and productiveness point of view.

Two final thoughts: 1 ) When Pujols was signed Dipoto supposedly cited an internal Angels study that showed really great hitters show a general trend of extending their usefulness and careers longer than the average player and 2 ) Albert has been a late starter in his time with the Halos, as, through May 8th the last two years, he has posted a 71 wRC+ and 106 wRC+ in 2016 and 2015 respectively. This year he is currently at an 82 wRC+. From May 9th on he improved in both of those seasons by quite a fair amount so the hope is he will start to pick it up soon (basically what Chuck is hoping for).

14 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Strad, he has superstar status like Kobe, Shaq, Jordon, A-Rod, Magic, Jeter, Gretzky. Those guys never left money on the table and neither will Albert. These type of athletes are very rare because they were the greatest at their trade but they all have some type of narcissism that leads them to believe that they are owed every dime and more because of the money the team and league made while they were great.

I am puzzled.  You say Pujols and other greats won't leave money on the table.  I agree with that.  However in a previous debate with me you argue that Trout has is wealthy enough that he will leave regardless what the Angels offer as an extension.

(Not your exact words but that's how interpreted them)

45 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am puzzled.  You say Pujols and other greats won't leave money on the table.  I agree with that.  However in a previous debate with me you argue that Trout has is wealthy enough that he will leave regardless what the Angels offer as an extension.

(Not your exact words but that's how interpreted them)

No I said that Trout is comfortable with his current deal in regards to the years, monetary value and that it leaves his options open. He's going to get whatever money he wants when the appropriate time comes and it could be from the Angels. I just don't think that he will reopen his current deal because he's already secure for life.

Now that being said he certainly will do what's best for him personally and that could involve a variety of things. He has family, attorneys and an agent that will help him sort that out. Unfortunately as passionate as the fans are about Trout they will have zero impact on his decision making. 

It's safe to assume that Trout is a great character guy and I think he is but don't rule out the possibility that his lawyers and agent won't be unlike Boras when the timing is right. There's a lot of money to be made by a lot of people in regards to Mike Trout.