• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Syria

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

What a f*cking shit show.

Assad and his family have just destroyed that country.

I have friends whose families are from Damascus, they show me photos of what it was like when the grandparents and parents were growing up there. Was a beautiful country.

Very sad.

I had family that lived there for a long while.  The last one still there passed away before the civil war started.  Mercifully.  War has destroyed many beautiful places in the arab world in the last century.  It is very sad.  Hopefully the day comes when life can settle down and these places can heal.  Seems incredibly unlikely in our lifetimes though :-/

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 hours ago, mrwicked said:

What a f*cking shit show.

Assad and his family have just destroyed that country.

I have friends whose families are from Damascus, they show me photos of what it was like when the grandparents and parents were growing up there. Was a beautiful country.

Very sad.

Assad?  It's the Arab Spring that destroyed the country.  Just like it destroyed Egypt and Libya. 

20 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Assad?  It's the Arab Spring that destroyed the country.  Just like it destroyed Egypt and Libya. 

Yep, those dang rabble rousers should have just shut up and accepted living under a dictator who restricted free speech and had political dissenters murdered.

58 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Yep, those dang rabble rousers should have just shut up and accepted living under a dictator who restricted free speech and had political dissenters murdered.

Five things you never knew about Syria before the war

What was Syria like before the revolution?

Yup, they are in a much better place.  And what's with a woman in the Middle East almost getting a university degree.  I think they behead those people in Saudi Arabia.  Oh that's right, they live under a dictator who restricts free speech, has political dissenters murdered, and will kill anyone that goes against their religion.

52 minutes ago, Serge said:

First time I've heard someone refer to ISIS and Al Nusra Front as "rabble rousers".

You need to read up on Syria. ISIS jumped in after the Arab Spring. It started when Assad had the police shoot and kill peaceful protestors.

19 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Five things you never knew about Syria before the war

What was Syria like before the revolution?

Yup, they are in a much better place.  And what's with a woman in the Middle East almost getting a university degree.  I think they behead those people in Saudi Arabia.  Oh that's right, they live under a dictator who restricts free speech, has political dissenters murdered, and will kill anyone that goes against their religion.

Look, I realize the rebellion has become tainted with Islamic extremists, and that Syria was a beautiful and culturally-rich place before the war. But Assad was a dictator. The fact that the same family held the "presidency" for half a century tells you something about how the government worked. The first comment on your second link:

Syria was a calm, stable, culturally rich, and very beautiful place to visit. But it was also a thick police state, where you could hardly even whisper a word against the ruling regime. 

The rebellion began after peaceful protestors were shot and killed, and a group from the Syrian army split off and formed an armed resistance against Assad. I think we can all agree that living conditions are much worse now than they were then. But I don't blame those who desperately wanted a change in regime. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

And when you read up, don't automatically believe what the Western media says about it.

Here's a summary of the conflict from Al Jazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/syria-civil-war-explained-160505084119966.html

That March, peaceful protests erupted in Syria as well, after 15 boys were detained and tortured for having written graffiti in support of the Arab Spring. One of the boys, 13-year-old Hamza al-Khateeb , was killed after having been brutally tortured.

The Syrian government, led by President Bashar al-Assad, responded to the protests by killing hundreds of demonstrators and imprisoning many more. In July 2011, defectorsfrom the military announced the formation of the Free Syrian Army, a rebel group aiming to overthrow the government, and Syria began to slide into civil war.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Here's a summary of the conflict from Al Jazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/syria-civil-war-explained-160505084119966.html

That March, peaceful protests erupted in Syria as well, after 15 boys were detained and tortured for having written graffiti in support of the Arab Spring. One of the boys, 13-year-old Hamza al-Khateeb , was killed after having been brutally tortured.

The Syrian government, led by President Bashar al-Assad, responded to the protests by killing hundreds of demonstrators and imprisoning many more. In July 2011, defectorsfrom the military announced the formation of the Free Syrian Army, a rebel group aiming to overthrow the government, and Syria began to slide into civil war.

Al Jazeera is owned by Qatar. I wonder if they have an agenda...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar-Turkey_pipeline

Just now, Geoff said:

There were a lot of people in the World Trade Centers who got out of that place without a scratch on 9/11.  But for some reason the media barely even acknowledged that.

More stupid comments... the AW moderators are on a roll.

13 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Huh? I think Fidel Castro was equally dictatorous (I made up a new word).

Oh for sure. The only person crazy enough on here to think that is probably our resident 9/11 & pearl harbor truther. I just think it's funny, that is a common view on Syria and many of the people who see it as such i'm betting also were propping up Fidel ironically enough.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

So clearly you don't know. Makes sense.

I'm seriously interested in seeing any links you could provide that proves the situation in Aleppo isn't as grim as has been reported. It would be a relief to know it's not as bad as I've heard.