• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule *5* Draft Thread

totdprods

4 minutes ago, The_Outrunner said:

Seems like an assbackwards way of doing things. I really don't understand this move on the part of the angels for cash. Does anyone know how much we would get for something like this?

It's pretty unlikely it's for more than half a million I think - and it could be quite a bit less. I really don't know what that buys you, besides some yacht fuel *ducks*

Reading way too much into it. Angels probably got very little financially. More than likely they didn't intend on taking anyone, the Twins put out feelers regarding their interest in Haley (but didn't want to pick him first due to having a prearranged deal worked out to trade Diaz to the Pads) and the Angels were there to facilitate. Could be a wink back to the Meyer/Nolasco trade, could be a way of getting the Twins to accept a scant bit of value less on a future trade. I'm sure there all sorts of little concessions in trades that don't factor into the transactions wire.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Reading way too much into it. Angels probably got very little financially. More than likely they didn't intend on taking anyone, the Twins put out feelers regarding their interest in Haley (but didn't want to pick him first due to having a prearranged deal worked out to trade Diaz to the Pads) and the Angels were there to facilitate. Could be a wink back to the Meyer/Nolasco trade, could be a way of getting the Twins to accept a scant bit of value less on a future trade. I'm sure there all sorts of little concessions in trades that don't factor into the transactions wire.

Maybe a nice gesture for Dozier?

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Angels Twitter just reported that Haley was dealt to San Diego, not Minnesota.

That would make more sense. Could be a sort of Player To Be Named Sooner in a potential 2B trade. Padres need pitching and have plenty of open spots on their 40-man.

This would make a lot of sense.  Eppler is showing a lot of creativity with minimal budget if this helps land a 2b

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

This would make a lot of sense.  Eppler is showing a lot of creativity with minimal budget if this helps land a 2b

Agreed. Means that in discussions with San Diego, he could have asked if there was anyone they wanted in the Rule V and offered to grab them and trade them for 'cash' - we may see something happen soon.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Agreed. Means that in discussions with San Diego, he could have asked if there was anyone they wanted in the Rule V and offered to grab them and trade them for 'cash' - we may see something happen soon.

This is probably a stupid question, but if that's the case, why trade him now? i.e., why trade him now for cash instead of including him in a subsequent trade?

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Angels Twitter just reported that Haley was dealt to San Diego, not Minnesota.

That would make more sense. Could be a sort of Player To Be Named Sooner in a potential 2B trade. Padres need pitching and have plenty of open spots on their 40-man.

Exactly my first thought. Think this was just part of what will end up being a trade that lands the Halos a 2B from SD

Well now it sounds like the Padres turned around and traded him to the Twins. Soooo...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Twins did trade Diaz to the Padres though too, so the Angels 1) drafted Haley and 2) sent him to the Padres so they could 3) trade Haley in order to get Diaz who they were unable to get as he went for the first pick.

Maybe it means nothing, or maybe it was a very complex way of adding to a potential deal.

29 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

This is probably a stupid question, but if that's the case, why trade him now? i.e., why trade him now for cash instead of including him in a subsequent trade?

Being that the Twins were now basically the third team in a three-way trade, they may have not been interested in waiting around for the Angels/Padres to finalize their 2B trade.

Could also be that the Angels would have had a full 40-man with Haley on the roster, and didn't want to be stuck in a position where they couldn't claim anyone in the time it took to finalize a trade for a SDG 2B.

Since 'cash considerations' in a trade can literally be as low as $1.00, I highly doubt a trade made involving Rule V players was purely financial. Will it result in a trade for a Padres 2B? Maybe, maybe not, but at the least I'd imagine there was a little bit of a 'winning some favor' factor involved here. I still think this is a precursor to a bigger deal though.

i'm pretty fed up with arte's way of doing things right now. i'm going to have to get a nl team to root for just to have some baseball to watch. this is going on 3 years of no baseball for me. thank god we had great playoffs this year for me to get my seasons worth of fill.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I could see if it was for international pool or draft slot money, but straight up cash?  that doesn't make a ton of sense unless it's part of a bigger deal.  

The way I'm viewing this, I don't think it's part of a bigger deal. If it was, then the trigger would've simply been pulled already. I think this is simply the Twins and Padres getting the guy they wanted, and the Angels getting a little bit of money on the side to ensure it happens.

The Twins picked Diaz who the Padres wanted, the Padres already selected someone else, the Twins wanted Haley in return for Diaz and couldn't wait until the second round because he'd be scooped up by another team. So the Angels pick Haley, send him to the Padres to complete the Diaz trade and in return we make a buck.

If this has anything to do with the Angels acquiring a 2B, they would've just traded already. Instead, we're leaving the Meetings having set the foundation for a future trade, but nothing currently. More wait and see.