• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Payroll currently at $152 mil

Docwaukee

Last year's payroll ended up at around $165 mil.  So we currently sit around $13 mil shy of that.  

We were on a spending freeze in 2016.  Was it because of the payroll proximity to the CBT?  Was it the bad taste left by the singing of Josh Hamilton?  Or was it that Arte's general comfort level for payroll is probably around $160 mil?

If it's the latter, that doesn't leave much room left to fill out the rest of the roster with anyone of significance unless we make some trades for players that are on the cheaper side.  

Thoughts?  

Personally, I don't see us doing much else.  Maybe a Drew type to play 2b and perhaps a mediocre reliever.  Otherwise, I think we're pretty much done.  

I don't know if they've decided against free agents in principle as much as being much more selective about who they give a big contract. I don't think they see anyone out there that looks like a guy that can prosper in the Big A for the next several years. Eppler may have convinced Arte that he can build a team that fits the park more in line with what the Royals did by putting smaller pieces in place first then seeing where it makes the most sense to spend big.

Since MI at the higher levels in the minors is pretty baron I could see him making a deal for a 2B that will rattle some chains on this board much like he did at SS or maybe doing the same with a catcher. As far as signings, I think you're right that it'll be relievers he looks at and a 2B if he can't make a deal. He may sign a switch hitting OF as we get closer to ST

I don't think the lack of spending has anything to do with the luxury tax (we almost exceeded it last year) nor a fear of spending on free agents. It's purely about commitment. They won't say it publicly, but this team has been rebuilding since Eppler came on board - every single move they've made has reflected that. He just isn't rebuilding in the 'textbook' fashion many expect, i.e., selling off most players, tanking the team, etc.

Eppler is working to maintain extreme payroll flexibility, and I truly believe he is looking ahead to a specific window to make significant improvements. Whether it's next offseason or the fabled '18 offseason remains to be seen, but I don't expect anything more than one-year deals this offseason and multiple waiver claims. And that's okay. If we trade anything significant, it'll be for a player under 30 with multiple years of control. If we sign anyone for more than a year, it'll be for someone they expect to be just as good in 2020 as they would be in 2017.

The team believes then can contend in 2017. Anything is possible this off season. We do know they're chasing down a second baseman ... it's going to happen. They've also been rumored with interest in Turner. 

All we can do is speculate ... something we do well around here. 

I'm guessing we get Sale, Kinsler, Jensen, Ramos, and Turner. 

Trout wants to win ... NOW

Turner makes no sense. He's going to take too long of a commitment, and he'll be too old in our target years. 

I can definitely see the Angels being buyers still, either via free agency or trade, but only if that player is likely to be just as productive three years from now as they would be in 2017. Jansen, Ramos, maybe Nova. 

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

For the luxury tax calculation, the average annual value of the contracts is used, which is not the same as the actual money being spent in a particular season. The luxury tax payroll also includes money for insurance and benefits, about $10-$15M. 

Josh Hamilton's contract looms large this offseason. 

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The team believes then can contend in 2017. Anything is possible this off season. We do know they're chasing down a second baseman ... it's going to happen. They've also been rumored with interest in Turner. 

If Trout wants to win "Now" he will need to be traded. 

11 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Freddy Sale, William Kinsler, Woody Jensen, Chucho Ramos, and Tuck Turner are all dead.  Why would we want them?

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yay yet another wasted year of doing nothing and expecting different results.

Another year of recuperating from previous mistakes.   If the Angels are going to get better they are going to have to suffer through this for a little longer.   Retooling isn't a waste, but continuing to throw money at mistakes ..  well, that would be a waste.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I thought the payroll last year was roughly 183 million? I remember us being right under the threshold going into the season. 

Payroll includes the enter 40 man, contributions to the players retirement funds and various other BS...   So, it's always about 25-30 mil greater than the payroll on the field.