• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017

Second Base

Who will be the starting 2B in 2017?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Our starting 2B in 2017 will be...

• Cliff Pennington
    • Kaleb Cowart
    • Gregorio Petit
    • David Fletcher
    • Sherman Johnson
    • Alex Yarbrough
    • Chase Utley
    • Stephen Drew
    • Aaron Hill
    • Neil Walker
    • Erick Aybar
    • Someone else
    • Yunel Escobar

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I wonder if Klentak might jump at a trade that includes say Smith or Barria, and Fletcher, for Hernandez.

Sherman Johnson would be nice to keep as a true Figgins like utility guy.

One possible advantage is Klentak may be familiar enough with the LAA system that he may value some prospects other GMs wouldn't. And as good as Cesar Hernandez was last season, his three years prior weren't terribly exciting. .269/.331/.333/.664 with an OPS+ of 86. 

I think he's obtainable and has a floor that would be an acceptable improvement and a ceiling high enough worth sacrificing a couple prospects.

7 minutes ago, Jobu said:

He was also defacto run out of town by Scioscia. I doubt he's first in line to do the Angels any favors at the negotiating table. 

I don't see how he'd be doing the Angels a favor by plucking guys he feels are worth acquiring or undervalued by the Halos. I don't think he's going to take no-name prospects for Hernandez, but he may insist on a second player that he values where another org wouldn't. Also, how in the world was he run out of town by Scioscia? He stayed after Dipoto quit and if I recall was a fairly well-regarded internal candidate to replace Dipoto. So he obviously was interested in staying.

Just now, Jobu said:

Regardless, he's not selecting from 2nd tier prospects because he knows them better. If Hernandez is worth a top prospect, he'll ask for one. 

OH I agree with this.  He will get the talent he wants or he won't trade him.  I know nothing about the Phillies or their upcoming prospects.  Hell, I don't know the floor or ceiling of our own farm system.  The good news is Klentak does have a good understanding of our farm and if there is a fit, then we stand a chance.  

4 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Regardless, he's not selecting from 2nd tier prospects because he knows them better. If Hernandez is worth a top prospect, he'll ask for one. 

I'm sure he will - my point wasn't "Oh I bet we can get Cesar for no-name, filler prospects" but rather "Oh, Klentak may value certain prospects more than a GM who didn't work in our org".

I expect Hernandez to cost something around two of our Top 10 prospects. Maybe Klentak takes a 3rd prospect in exchange for us being a little more selective with the 2nd prospect in the deal, purely because he feels really good about the 3rd guy, an organizational type that another GM wouldn't give two shits about.

I expect at least one of Smith, Hermosillo, Ward, or Middleton to be the 'top prospect' in a potential Hernandez deal.

Like any good GM, Klentak will get the best possible deal. He knows the Angels prospects, has money to spend and has a young 2B with value. PHI doesn't need to trade someone just because they'll be arbitration eligible. They aren't the Pirates or A's.

So Hernandez won't be traded unless Klentak gets a deal he'd be foolish to decline.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

.....Personally I think they're going to find someone via trade who has some club control. 

My preference too but our system is so thin that I'm not sure we could pull of a trade for somebody like Hernandez....Maybin (I like the deal) used up one of our better prospects (though a so so prospect compared to everybody else's prospects)....

19 minutes ago, DMVol said:

My preference too but our system is so thin that I'm not sure we could pull of a trade for somebody like Hernandez....Maybin (I like the deal) used up one of our better prospects (though a so so prospect compared to everybody else's prospects)....

Dietrich, Gennett, Wong, Refsnyder, one of the many dudes in Tampa, Marco Hernandez, Tyler Saladino, Yangervis Solarte, Logan Forsythe, Brett Lawrie...there's a few other younger folks on the trade market as well.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Dietrich, Gennett, Wong, one of the many dudes in Tampa, Marco Hernandez, Tyler Saladino, Brett Lawrie...there's a few other younger folks on the trade market as well.

Wong has a pretty hefty contract so the Cards might be inclined to move him without demanding a king's ransom.....

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Wong has a pretty hefty contract so the Cards might be inclined to move him without demanding a king's ransom.....

He was brought up midseason and I really wasn't interested, but by addressing LF fairly cheaply I could see a path where I'd have a little more interest there. His second half was encouraging enough for me to consider it.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He was brought up midseason and I really wasn't interested, but by addressing LF fairly cheaply I could see a path where I'd have a little more interest there. His second half was encouraging enough for me to consider it.

Wong will be a decent major league hitter. It's all there, he just needs to put it together now.

11 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I'd be ok with a Kendrick reunion.  I think he was much happier here and as a result he'd perform better.  He can also back up LF, 1b, and 3b.  His defense has been an issue the last couple years so I am not sure if Eppler will have much interest unless we get him for little return.  

I'd like to have Howie back and it would be great to have him as insurance to play left field or third base.  That being said I don't think you can carry him at any positions other than 2nd base.  You can't really carry him and a 2nd baseman because he doesn't play short stop.  So sadly a guy like Pennington, who isn't the player Howie is, is more valuable as a bench piece than Howie would be.  

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:05 AM, totdprods said:

Hope you're right on Cesar - you sparked that idea and he's my ideal choice!

I agree with this.  Howie and Utley are past their prime and the Angels need to get more athletic and solve 2B for longer than a year.  Cesar would add youth, solid defense, good bat and speed to the lineup.  Would make a dynamic up the middle defense with Bandy, Simmons and Trout. 

Maybe start with Marsh and build a trade around him. Especially with Jones, Hermosillo and possibly Thaiss as future OF's in the minors.

Have problems including Ward...he just might turn out to be a full time catcher with good defense and bat.

Maybe include Perez (is a gold glove candidate) and then sign a veteran catcher to back up Bandy.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network, the Twins received interest in Brian Dozier from multiple teams at this week's GM Meetings in Arizona.

That comes as no surprise after Dozier's sensational 2016 campaign. The 29-year-old second baseman posted an .886 OPS with 42 home runs and 99 RBI in 155 games for the Twins, who can accelerate their rebuild by fetching some high-level prospects for him this winter. Dozier is owed $6 million in 2017 and $9 million in 2018. He can then become a free agent.