• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

John Sickels on Jefry Marte

Angelsjunky

****Los Angeles Angels rookie Jefry Marte is hitting .321 with three homers in his last 10 games for the Angels and currently stands at .257/.300/.481 on the year with 11 homers in 187 at-bats. Marte has been on prospect lists since late in the George W. Bush administration and is often a forgotten guy when young players are discussed, but the 25 year old has boosted his power production over the last two seasons and is holding his own in the majors. Seems like someone who could have a nice surge in his late 20s.

Well, it's something. Marte has been a nice surprise. I can't help but hope that he can actually improve, or at least take a few more walks. The 4.9% walk rate is worrisome.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

****Los Angeles Angels rookie Jefry Marte is hitting .321 with three homers in his last 10 games for the Angels and currently stands at .257/.300/.481 on the year with 11 homers in 187 at-bats. Marte has been on prospect lists since late in the George W. Bush administration and is often a forgotten guy when young players are discussed, but the 25 year old has boosted his power production over the last two seasons and is holding his own in the majors. Seems like someone who could have a nice surge in his late 20s.

Well, it's something. Marte has been a nice surprise. I can't help but hope that he can actually improve, or at least take a few more walks. The 4.9% walk rate is worrisome.

He's a nice surprise for sure.  his 3b defense isn't too bad either.  I think his bb rate will improve as it was near 10% in the upper minors over quite a few at bats.  He seems the type to want to hit the ball to prove he belongs.  

I'm hoping he follows the Nelson Cruz career trajectory.

If given a full season, I could see him putting up 25-30 homers. He rebounded from a pretty long stretch of not hitting much and sporadic at-bats, so to see him rebound and hit well again is really encouraging. 

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Or Jose Bautista, although he didn't break out until 29.

Anyhow, Marte doesn't need to be as good as those guys to be really helpful. But yeah, it is an interesting comparison.

Yes, another interesting case. If he could improve his defense and walk even just a little bit more, I think he could wrest 3B away from Cowart whenever Escobar is dealt. Could see a similar template where late in the game Cowart moves to 3B, a UT IF takes over at second, and Marte either leaves the game or replaces Cron at first on defense.

Ultimately I think his presence pushes him closer to a Cron replacement, but still the above could be an option.

Marte is the type of player that Scioscia likes. He can play several positions (infield & outfield) and is a good pinch hitter. I think the organization will keep him for at least another year. I think Cowart is the one on the bubble unless he can show that he can anchor down second base. The problem is neither Marte or Cowart can play shortstop. So if they keep both they will also have to keep an extra bench player just to play short if Simmons goes down.

His line projected over a full season

PA 499 Avg .258 HR 27 2B 25 OBP .301 SLG .484

This projected line is very similar to Trumbo, also in his rookie season, also at the age of 25.

Trumbo 2011 age 25

PA 573 Avg .254 HR 29 2B 31 OBP .291 SLG .477

Trumbo did that while getting consistent playing time, Marte has gotten inconsistent playing time. It will interesting to see what he can do next year assuming he gets regular ABs. 

40 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

He's a nice surprise for sure.  his 3b defense isn't too bad either.  I think his bb rate will improve as it was near 10% in the upper minors over quite a few at bats.  He seems the type to want to hit the ball to prove he belongs.  

The old line ---  you can't walk off the island is prolly in play here...

25 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

His line projected over a full season

PA 499 Avg .258 HR 27 2B 25 OBP .301 SLG .484

This projected line is very similar to Trumbo, also in his rookie season, also at the age of 25.

Trumbo 2011 age 25

PA 573 Avg .254 HR 29 2B 31 OBP .291 SLG .477

Trumbo did that while getting consistent playing time, Marte has gotten inconsistent playing time. It will interesting to see what he can do next year assuming he gets regular ABs. 

and they can both play 3b.  :)

14 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

Marte is the type of player that Scioscia likes. He can play several positions (infield & outfield) and is a good pinch hitter. I think the organization will keep him for at least another year. I think Cowart is the one on the bubble unless he can show that he can anchor down second base. The problem is neither Marte or Cowart can play shortstop. So if they keep both they will also have to keep an extra bench player just to play short if Simmons goes down.

Scioscia said the other deal he feels Cowart is capable of playing back-up SS. His comments also made it sound like they really like him at second.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yes, another interesting case. If he could improve his defense and walk even just a little bit more, I think he could wrest 3B away from Cowart whenever Escobar is dealt. Could see a similar template where late in the game Cowart moves to 3B, a UT IF takes over at second, and Marte either leaves the game or replaces Cron at first on defense.

Ultimately I think his presence pushes him closer to a Cron replacement, but still the above could be an option.

This is what happened yesterday.  Marte looked like shit his first two at bats and made a terrible throw going away from the line when he should have just held it

I see DH written all over him. Escobar also fits that description. With Albert  holding down that spot, I think either Marte or Escobar should be trade bait this off season.  We need pitching in the worst way. My preference would be to trade Escobar and have Marte filling the Quinlan spot( backup 3rd and1st).  I think Pujols is done at 1st. Pitching and defense wins Championships, or at least gets you into the playoffs.

It's a little early to write him off as a DH only. He's only 25 and is able to at least take the field at 3 positions. Pujols and Cron will occupy DH in the near future, so I think he should see as much time in the field as possible to determine where his defense will play best. He's not really good, but he isn't the worst. 

If you go look at Marte's Minor League splits he absolutely crushes LHP. In the worst case scenario I see him as a backup corner infielder who'd split time with someone like Cowart (who has generally hit RHP better than LHP) or in LF if we get a left-handed bat there. Right now he's hitting both sides of the mound equally so if he is actually evolving and improving more power too him. His on-base ability is questionable but his power is real for sure. Glad he's doing well.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

If you go look at Marte's Minor League splits he absolutely crushes LHP. In the worst case scenario I see him as a backup corner infielder who'd split time with someone like Cowart (who has generally hit RHP better than LHP) or in LF if we get a left-handed bat there. Right now he's hitting both sides of the mound equally so if he is actually evolving and improving more power too him. His on-base ability is questionable but his power is real for sure. Glad he's doing well.

Yeah, I think at worst he's a Reverse Jack Howell.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

One too many..   

Small sample defensive statistics are really hard to trust and subject to severe outliers, but if we extrapolate his limited sample at 3B to a full season there it ends up at -43.8 defensive runs saved. That would have topped Adam Dunn for the worst defensive season of all time. Damn Scioscia, denying him a chance at history.