• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Oakland/Houston

Torridd

I still believe we have time to get back in the playoff picture. However, these series against the dregs of the AL West will be crucial. Out of the 13 games, we need to win at least 8, preferably 9 (or more, of course).I think the only series this month that was a downer was against the Yanks. We shouldn't have been swept. 12.5 games back is nothing to laugh at, but if we can get it to 8 by the end of the month I think we have plenty of time to make a run.

It's weird, in years past I was pissed at the Angels for playing as bad as they are right now.  But this year, I half expected it.  I mean Jered Weaver, Daniel Nava, C.J. Wilson, Pujols being a year older, still rocking Gia at 2B.  The funny part is, I'd still have some sick sense of hope right now if Richards and Heaney never got injured, because chance are we'd be close to a .500 ball club.

I fully expect the Angels to sell and reload for next year.  Meaning Lincecum is basically having an audition so the Angels can trade him at the deadline for prospects.  The same with Santiago, Chacin, Escobar and Joe Smith.  We'll still head into next season with the core of our roster largely in tact (Trout, Calhoun, Simmons, Pujols, Cron and Marte (hopefully on those last two)), we'll just have a few extra prospects acquired at the deadline, alongside the benefits of finally having what seems to be a goo draft, and upwards of 50 million coming off the books, which will be spent on Neil Walker at 2B, Ian Desmond in LF, and the increased salary taken on when they acquire Gio Gonzalez and Jaime Garcia. 

I'd be leery of how much to offer to Desmond.   This season's road OPS is fine (.789), but it was sub .700 from 2013-2015.

He would definitely fill a need in LF (solid D, still running the bases well, and some pop in his bat).

Same with Walker, who like Desmond only turns 31 late this season.    Be leery of what to offer him, but he would definitely fill a need at 2B.

Could sign one (Desmond), and then try Sherman Johnson at 2B as a leadoff hitter in 2017? 

Had to look up the word dregs - "the most worthless part or parts of something" befitting of all three teams.

Musical group form the 70's  Dixie Dregs I have a new found respect for that name.

Our Dregs must clobber their Dregs.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Just an FYI, the Angels are one of the "dregs" of the AL West. I'm sure Oakland and definitely Houston are looking at us the same way. 

Hopefully this team can step up but I'm not counting on it. 

I knew someone would say we're the dregs, but I think the Angels are better than that. They just have to prove it.

we need to go 24-14 over the next stretch and that will get us to the deadline at 53-51.  If we don't make that kind of run, then it just not worth trying to maintain.  Otherwise, let's sell some parts, get a top 10 pick next year, try to piece together a 2017, and get to that deadline with the same thing in mind.  Then we reload in 2018 with a couple of nice free agents and get our pitchers back.  As long as we use our expiring major league control players to get as much as we can to bring in additional value to the franchise, 2018 could be the start of something new.  

5 hours ago, Torridd said:

I still believe we have time to get back in the playoff picture. However, these series against the dregs of the AL West will be crucial. Out of the 13 games, we need to win at least 8, preferably 9 (or more, of course).I think the only series this month that was a downer was against the Yanks. We shouldn't have been swept. 12.5 games back is nothing to laugh at, but if we can get it to 8 by the end of the month I think we have plenty of time to make a run.

Angels have to go at least 4-2 on the road and 5-2 at home against against these bums.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

we need to go 24-14 over the next stretch and that will get us to the deadline at 53-51.  If we don't make that kind of run, then it just not worth trying to maintain.  Otherwise, let's sell some parts, get a top 10 pick next year, try to piece together a 2017, and get to that deadline with the same thing in mind.  Then we reload in 2018 with a couple of nice free agents and get our pitchers back.  As long as we use our expiring major league control players to get as much as we can to bring in additional value to the franchise, 2018 could be the start of something new.  

Good, concise summary of the situation.

2018. I can be patient for another year or so.

6 hours ago, shine said:

I see Moneyball is working well these days.

Beane's moneyball is now like a game to him, he blows the team up when were are doing well a few years ago because he wants to see how fast he can rebuild it again. He'll eventually make a big splash again & then trade said players off for quanity of prospects.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:55 AM, Angel Oracle said:

I'd be leery of how much to offer to Desmond.   This season's road OPS is fine (.789), but it was sub .700 from 2013-2015.

He would definitely fill a need in LF (solid D, still running the bases well, and some pop in his bat).

Same with Walker, who like Desmond only turns 31 late this season.    Be leery of what to offer him, but he would definitely fill a need at 2B.

Could sign one (Desmond), and then try Sherman Johnson at 2B as a leadoff hitter in 2017? 

Why no love for Johnny G? He's hitting as good as last year and his D is much improved.

I like the way the guy always makes contact. yeah, I wish he would take more walks, but I would rather see us acquire talent at other positions. He's proven to be very serviceable. He's controllable through 2019.