• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Failo Mentality

People naturally react to things and some just focus so hard on looking at their nose they don't see the broader picture and vice-versa.

I think when some people say "the season is over" they are just referring to actual standings of the team and not to the individual players. I'm sure everyone here loves watching Mike Trout play the game but they don't necessarily tie the player with how they feel about the team. As far as Richards for instance I think many know and understand that a torn UCL usually leads to TJS and they just don't understand why he wouldn't want to go immediately do it to return as soon as possible. They perhaps don't grasp or empathize with Garrett's feelings about the fact that he'd like to explore all medical options including stem cell therapy before he goes under the knife (which is scary for anyone particularly when that limb is how you make your money). In reality it won't move the needle that much time-wise for him to try stem cells before surgery anyway but people don't see the big picture again.

I don't know about everyone else here but I always want the Angels to win. Superstitiously every time I watch lately they seem to lose so I've been avoiding watching them on TV as I don't want to jinx them even though I know in my head that it has nothing to do with it. Just supporting the team in my own really stupid way. :D

You should really ask this question again Stradling if the Angels ever trade Mike Trout. Boy will you get some answers then.

you say you want to have a "conversation" but I call bullshit. you sure sound like you've already made up your mind and this post is just an opportunity for you to try and shame the "failos", or basically anyone you feel doesn't measure up to you as a fan.

and for the record, i personally follow every game and try to watch when and where I can, though I would say given the state of the org they've slipped down my list of priorities to an extent. I wouldn't say that there's no hope this year, though I would say realistically the team doesn't have a great chance, and I don't see a lot to feel good about the next few years. However, the great thing about sports is that things can change quickly, which is why I'll continue to follow the team.

But feel free to look down on the rest of us from your soapbox, superfan.

The way I see it is people vent, sometimes more often than not, and in completely different ways. We all love the Angels and want them to succeed which is why we come to the board every day to discuss them in some way or another. Some handle disappointment better than others. 

Think about it this way, sometimes I'm glad the Angels suck. If they didn't, I wouldn't know any of AO's nicknames for people....unless the Angels just had a nine game win streak snapped......and the board went completely nuts with negativity..........hmmmm....

Wally, remember that thread a while back where you said you would quit being a fan, never post again if Aybar hit lead off? How did that work out on the bullshit meter?
He didn't point a finger at you, you did. Try not to get your feathers too ruffled when you see yourself in this thread as someone you don't think you are.

While I'm in total agreement with @Stradling take here, I have always felt that as a fan it was healthy to vent. 

What does that look like?

Well for instance @LightTheHalo would post an annual "fuck these fucking losers" thread after a long losing streak accompanied with a heart wrenching loss. 

Did this make him love the Angels any less? 

No.

The guy has been a season ticket holder forever and takes his kids out to see the Angels all the time. 

I fall into the same boat, though I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve even more than LTH. In fact, a lot more. 

My love for the Angels comes in third place next to God and my family, and arguably I have failed at all three at times.

That said, love hurts.. and at times we tend to react when we're hurt before allowing ourselves to cool down and gather our thoughts.

We're imperfect humans. But over the years and especially recently I've been able to sniff out the trolls and fairweather fans vs. those are indeed true fans, but like me vent when it's needed 

20 minutes ago, WallyWorld said:

you say you want to have a "conversation" but I call bullshit. you sure sound like you've already made up your mind and this post is just an opportunity for you to try and shame the "failos", or basically anyone you feel doesn't measure up to you as a fan.

and for the record, i personally follow every game and try to watch when and where I can, though I would say given the state of the org they've slipped down my list of priorities to an extent. I wouldn't say that there's no hope this year, though I would say realistically the team doesn't have a great chance, and I don't see a lot to feel good about the next few years. However, the great thing about sports is that things can change quickly, which is why I'll continue to follow the team.

But feel free to look down on the rest of us from your soapbox, superfan.

Wally, thanks for being an asshole in a quest for a conversation.  I used the term failos because it is a general term we use here.  Thanks for the second paragraph, it's the only part of your post that had value.  

I don't feel my post was a superfan post.  And if you continue to watch then you aren't part of the group that said they are done watching.  

Being realistic about where they are as a team and being a failo are two different things in my opinion. I still love watching when I can (even though we haven't won a game that I've watched....still working on that), and I love watching the highlights the next day. Having Trout and Calhoun on the team can always bring a glimmer of hope and happiness into an otherwise dreadful season. All that said, there's a slimmer of hope that they can make a run at the Wild Card, and there's tons of baseball left to be played. I just don't see this patchwork of a team making a serious run this year.

I watch as many games as I can regardless of my level of optimism for the team that year or in the future.  

I am a glutton for punishment that way sometimes.  

Typically, I look for and seen the good, but it's in my DNA to want to solve stuff.  If I see something that looks broken,  I want to fix it.  

But venting is important in my opinion.  

When it becomes a repetitive mantra without being thoughtful or purposed for discussion, then it's annoying as hell.  

A contrarian view is what makes this board great.  Blind optimism or pessimism is boring.  You want to call Scioscia an idiot?  Tell us why. Be willing to back up your argument.  

You want to be annoyed by something that happened during the game that's annoying?  Be my guest.  

I also appreciate when people attempt to express their negativity with respect.   

There is nothing wrong doubting the teams ability to be successful.  However don't you agree that it is irrational when you get angry when the team doesn't give up and try to improve the team like trying to sign Lincecum.  Or complain when they win and "screw up their position".  I have seen several make similar comments in the past. 

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I watch as many games as I can regardless of my level of optimism for the team that year or in the future.  

I am a glutton for punishment that way sometimes.  

Typically, I look for and seen the good, but it's in my DNA to want to solve stuff.  If I see something that looks broken,  I want to fix it.  

But venting is important in my opinion.  

When it becomes a repetitive mantra without being thoughtful or purposed for discussion, then it's annoying as hell.  

A contrarian view is what makes this board great.  Blind optimism or pessimism is boring.  You want to call Scioscia an idiot?  Tell us why. Be willing to back up your argument.  

You want to be annoyed by something that happened during the game that's annoying?  Be my guest.  

I also appreciate when people attempt to express their negativity with respect.   

Well said.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Wally, remember that thread a while back where you said you would quit being a fan, never post again if Aybar hit lead off? How did that work out on the bullshit meter?
He didn't point a finger at you, you did. Try not to get your feathers too ruffled when you see yourself in this thread as someone you don't think you are.

Not that he should have stopped being a fan of the Angels if Aybar hit leadoff, but batting Aybar at leadoff was pretty stupid.

No what I was getting at is how do you get pleasure out of something where in your mind is awful?  Not only awful but where the season is over after 40 games.   I don't care if you enjoy it like I do.  I don't care if you don't have patience.  But when the people I'm referring to seem to be miserable how is that enjoyable?  Is it they aren't as miserable as the words they type and this is where the vent?  I'm looking for a conversation and I'm not trying to be condescending. 

8 minutes ago, WallyWorld said:

And I'll add that while I don't consider you a troll, Strad - far from it - this thread is the definition of trolling.

I disagree. In context of the last few years of Negative Nancy's and those who have exhausted a bunch of energy and posts to tell us how much the Angels, Arte or the players suck, it is good question and discussion piece for the community..

People who follow the game for a living - and presumably know more than I do about it - see little hope for this organization over the next 4-5 years. ESPN Radio reported this morning, about the farm system, that "it isn't just the worst in baseball, it's the worst in recent memory." That is not great to hear about an aging team with a lot of dead money both on and off the roster.

I am increasingly beginning to believe that Mike Trout will ask to be traded in the next couple of years.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Remember the 90s, Stradling? Actually, remember 1987 - 2001? It was a dark era - only one season over 85 wins, and that was 1989 when they still finished third and eight games behind. The only year that felt really hopeful was 1995, and we know how that ended.

So my counter-question to your post, which I liked and jive with, is how did you survive the 90s? What did yo live for? Year after year, and no real hope of contention. I mean, there was always hope, but not really.

The org is in bad shape. But it isn't all bad. They've still got Trout, and some solid supporting players in Escobar and Calhoun and...well, Escobar and Calhoun. Maybe, just maybe, Richards and Heaney come back, maybe Chacin and theoretically Lincecum pitch well enough to tide us over until then. Maybe the Angels draft well this year, and the farm starts turning around. Maybe Eppler puts more money towards international scouting.

Maybe.

There's probably more hope now than there was in the 90s, but its still darker than 2002-09, and it also seems like we're past the point of 2010-14, when it looked like we were only a tweak or two away from winning big, and that the farm could turn around - and it almost happened in 2014. But last year and a half has been just brutal. We're at a low point. So hopefully things will start looking up.

Hopefully.

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No what I was getting at is how do you get pleasure out of something where in your mind is awful?  Not only awful but where the season is over after 40 games.   I don't care if you enjoy it like I do.  I don't care if you don't have patience.  But when the people I'm referring to seem to be miserable how is that enjoyable?  Is it they aren't as miserable as the words they type and this is where the vent?  I'm looking for a conversation and I'm not trying to be condescending. 

Then it's an ideological difference between you and me. I don't believe that all the reasons people do certain things or enjoy certain things have to, or even could, make sense to me. I think that's incredibly arrogant on your part.

and while I'll take you at your word as to the intent of your original post, I hope you can see how that come come off like baiting.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Remember the 90s, Stradling? Actually, remember 1987 - 2001? It was a dark era - only one season over 85 wins, and that was 1989 when they still finished third and eight games behind. The only year that felt really hopeful was 1995, and we know how that ended.

So my counter-question to your post, which I liked and jive with, is how did you survive the 90s? What did yo live for? Year after year, and no real hope of contention. I mean, there was always hope, but not really.

The org is in bad shape. But it isn't all bad. They've still got Trout, and some solid supporting players in Escobar and Calhoun and...well, Escobar and Calhoun. Maybe, just maybe, Richards and Heaney come back, maybe Chacin and theoretically Lincecum pitch well enough to tide us over until then. Maybe the Angels draft well this year, and the farm starts turning around. Maybe Eppler puts more money towards international scouting.

Maybe.

There's probably more hope now than there was in the 90s, but its still darker than 2002-09, and it also seems like we're past the point of 2010-14, when it looked like we were only a tweak or two away from winning big, and that the farm could turn around - and it almost happened in 2014. But last year and a half has been just brutal. We're at a low point. So hopefully things will start looking up.

Hopefully.

Honestly, because of the 90's I have perspective. Also the 90's were different.  I didn't have a community like this to read and try to contribute to.  I truly had zero idea before message boards that people's favorite team made them miserable and that some people had no faith so early in a season.  Also in the 90's 50 games were televised a year.  Maybe it's more of familiarity breeds contempt.  

4 minutes ago, WallyWorld said:

Then it's an ideological difference between you and me. I don't believe that all the reasons people do certain things or enjoy certain things have to, or even could, make sense to me. 

Which is exactly why I'm asking for clarification.  If that makes me arrogant so be it.  I think your opinion of me asking these questions is based on us disagreeing on subjects in the past, or you just think I'm a dick.