• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves trade Jhoulys Chacin to Angels

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Wanted to bump this thread. I dont want to go overboard over one start, but he threw a freaking gem last night. Kudos to him. 

I dont expect that going forward from him, but he gives us a solid SP, something we definetely lack. 

This is an old tbread obviously, but i missed fletchers take when it was posted. Spot on point about sending the wrong message to the players. Folding the tent in may and not even trying isnt at all the message you want to send the guys, especially the younger ones who will be free to leave in a few years

Word!

10 hours ago, calscuf said:

Why did ATL give him up for nothing?  Not saying he's Cy Young, but even without last night he still seems like a solid #3-5 that we got for nada.

This is something I find a little odd myself but hey one man's junk is another man's treasure. Honestly Chacin's current 14.9% K%-BB% is solid and what you want out of a mid rotation pitcher. If he continues like this he'll either help the team come back from the dead or he'll make an excellent trade chip at the deadline. Either way I'm really pleased with this pickup by Eppler.

24 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

More and more, Santiago looks like a #4/#5 behind Shoe, Chacin, Tropeano, and maybe even Lincecum.

Santiago, the new Nibs!

Time for Weave to go to the pen upon Lincecum's arrival?   This pen desperately needs retooling anyway.

The truth is there's no real order to our rotation. Anyone of them can step up on a given day and anyone of them can fall off a cliff the next day. 

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

It's wishful thinking to believe Weav is going to the pen or that he would even be ok as a reliever.

He's been given the first 2 months, which is what I was saying I would do at the beginning of the season.    He has been given enough time, but just can't keep his ERA under 5.00 because the second time though the order the hitters have him figured out.   We're only talking about 4 months in the pen. 

I think Chacin has simply just been overlooked by most teams the last couple years. His shoulder concerns spooked enough people off, and I don't think we just lucked out that he was in Atlanta and they were in a position where they had had no problem moving him to clear some salary and open up a spot in the rotation for some youth. 

I'm also not sold that he's going to stay this good or healthy, but think he's a great pick up nonetheless. 

Eppler continues to show a good eye for evaluating talent and picking up undervalued players.

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

He's been given the first 2 months, which is what I was saying I would do at the beginning of the season.    He has been given enough time, but just can't keep his ERA under 5.00 because the second time though the order the hitters have him figured out.   We're only talking about 4 months in the pen. 

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't. I'm just saying it's wishful thinking to believe it'll ever happen. Either he starts or goes on the DL.

Too much of what Chacin is doing is based on batted balls not turning into outs for me to be completely buying it as sustainable at this point. His walk rate is down quite a bit since joining the Angels but his strikeout rate isn't too different to his career norms. The big difference is that the number of hits opponents are getting from balls they put in play has fallen a lot. Part of that is because he is generating more ground balls and fewer fly balls than he has in the past couple of years (his line drive rate is about the same), but not to a large enough extent for me to think he's successfully worked out kinks and will be able to sustain that. It's going to take a few more starts like this to be convinced although I really hope he keeps it up, because if he does this for another month then we might actually be able to flip him in July for something of some value.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

Or give him an extension to cover a rotation spot next season. There is no timetable at this point for Heaney or Richards.

Most teams, including the Angels, aren't big on in season contract discussions/extensions but if Chacin continues to pitch well, I'd think about maybe a 2 year deal, before he gets on the FA market....he may not want to commit though....rather take his chances in a weak FA market this winter....

• 1 month later...
On April 30, 2016 at 6:22 PM, HeavenlyHalos said:

It's not just his fastball, he leaves everything up. He's just a really bad pitcher.

On April 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Angelsjunky said:

The Shoemaker Experiment is over.

On April 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Frieri Meatball said:

This guys major league career is over once the others are back from the dl.

On April 30, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

He would suck in death valley. He just isn't any good.

On April 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Just as I said, take the wait and see approach. Well we've waited, and we've seen. And now we should replace him.

On April 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM, CALZONE said:

Shoe is a tweener and we all know that. He's lucky to be here.

i agree