• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels Notes: After his big game, Johnny Giavotella returns to bench

Yeah what a brilliant plan by Scioscia to bring in Pennington and Choi. I'm sure that move alone meant the difference between winning and losing last night and will mean wins down the road as Cron and Gia git that ever needed momentum boosting restful platoon. It's this stubborn commitment to his ideals of only lefties can hit against righties that separates Scioscia into the stratosphere above the other good managers. If only there were room on the roster to platoon Trout, Escobar, and Simmons with lefties because surely these righties can't hit righties.

Edited by Michifan

Yeah what a brilliant plan by Scioscia to bring in Pennington and Choi. I'm sure that move alone meant the difference between winning and losing last night and will mean wins down the road as Cron and Gia git that ever needed momentum boosting restful platoon. It's this stubborn commitment to his ideals of only lefties can hit against righties that separates Scioscia into the stratosphere above the other good managers. If only there were room on the roster to platoon Trout, Escobar, and Simmons with lefties because surely these righties can't hit righties.

Giavotella started Tuesday against right-hander Edinson Volquez, who does not show much difference in his career splits. Righties and lefties have hit about the same, and in the small sample of this season, he’s actually fared much worse against righties.

Young, on the other hand, has a more traditional track record, doing better against right-handed hitters. This season, lefties came into the game hitting .314 against him, compared with .277 by righties.

So do we want the manager to use analytical data or don't we?

Giavotella started Tuesday against right-hander Edinson Volquez, who does not show much difference in his career splits. Righties and lefties have hit about the same, and in the small sample of this season, he’s actually fared much worse against righties.

Young, on the other hand, has a more traditional track record, doing better against right-handed hitters. This season, lefties came into the game hitting .314 against him, compared with .277 by righties.

There is a place for analytics, but you dont bench a guy gaining momentum with 3 hits, including a big 3 run homer.  You play the hot hand, it's common sense, something scioscia doesnt have.

I knew someone would respond without having any basis for their argument. Jars of clay came through.

A hot hand is not a guy that has one good game against a team that gave up 9 runs. That is a blind squirrel finding a nut.

The expression on his face when he hit the big HR was classic blind Squirrel finding a nut. I was happy for him! Hopefully he can build on this going forward.

I knew someone would respond without having any basis for their argument. Jars of clay came through.

A hot hand is not a guy that has one good game against a team that gave up 9 runs. That is a blind squirrel finding a nut.

3 hits in a game is a hot hand, you keep playing him to see if he can continue it and build momentum, not just put his ass on ice. 

I cant remember many angel players getting 3 hits this year.  Besides it's baseball, you play him again and see if he's hot, or if it was just blind luck as you put it, which honestly is a very stupid statement.

So scioscia's basis for his argument is a Pennington and his .160 avg, and Choi and his .083 avg will magically learn how to hit a baseball because lefties hit .314 against Chris Young?  LOL, that's some awesome analytics and it didnt even work out yesterday either - a fact that seems lost upon you and others.

Also, Scioscia has a history of doing this shit, and it gets on my nerves, stop acting like this is an isolated incident.  

Dude, he's batting under.200, three hits are simply he matched up with a crappy pitcher. I'm one of the few Giavotella fans on the board but he has had a long string of bad at bats this season so if Scioscia's analytics people say stack lefties against the next pitcher I'm OK with Pennington and his glove taking the field.

Because I'm OK with winning games over being stuck in a mindset that the manager never makes good decisions. Regardless of outcomes.

There is a place for analytics, but you dont bench a guy gaining momentum with 3 hits, including a big 3 run homer. You play the hot hand, it's common sense, something scioscia doesnt have.

So instincts and gut feeling should take precedent over analytics? Is that what your saying?

I think you're giving Scioscia too much credit for knowing that actual split. And clearly it didn't make much difference as three right handers took him deep while only Ortega hit him as a lefty. 

I think you're giving Scioscia too much credit for knowing that actual split. And clearly it didn't make much difference as three right handers took him deep while only Ortega hit him as a lefty.

You're right, of course. No chance a major league manager could get this highly classified information and act upon it. It must be a sinister plot designed to keep the little man down. The best minds in baseballmessageboard land all knew this and had their Scioscia sux posts at the ready for when the final out was recorded.

You're right, of course. No chance a major league manager could get this highly classified information and act upon it. It must be a sinister plot designed to keep the little man down. The best minds in baseballmessageboard land all knew this and had their Scioscia sux posts at the ready for when the final out was recorded.

Love him all you like - it's a free country, for now anyway - but Scioscia hasn't shown a high regard for the analytics in the past just for stubbornly micromanaging to his own ideas.

Love him all you like - it's a free country, for now anyway - but Scioscia hasn't shown a high regard for the analytics in the past just for stubbornly micromanaging to his own ideas.

You you are actually trying to argue that Sosh doesn't look at splits and doesn't play the "righty/lefty" game?

How long have you been watching him manage?