• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm feeling somewhat optimistic

Totally agree.

Watching that last game against the Dodgers had me intrigued with Gentry batting in front of Trout.  Two of the fastest runners in baseball.  The aggressiveness of the team throughout spring training means we are going to have to work harder for our runs but also means it puts more pressure on the defense, which I like a lot.

Heaney and Skaggs showed me something as well.  The pitching staff along with the defense should keep us in most games.

I'm really looking forward to a great year!

Edited by rick99gtp

I'm excited,,, that baseball is back.

I feel pretty much the same way about the Angels as I did a month ago.   This team could win the division.  They could finish 4th.  I'm little more optimistic about Nava... a bit more pessimistic about Wilson. There's a lot of question marks.  Sure, Skaggs looked great last night, and he was once a top 15 prospect in MLB, but he looked great at times in 2014 and he hasn't pitched in quite a while.  I'm still concerned about Weaver... how long they will keep him in the rotation... how his career will end.  

84-78.  3rd place

Three of the last four games the Angels put a B squad against regular starting rosters and won. If you don't think the Dodgers were interested in beating the Angels just because it was preseason you are wrong. The Cubs gave us tomorrow's starting lineup today and really didn't accomplish that much facing a number 5 pitcher and then scrub minor league pitchers.

The Cubs have to face the Angels full lineup tomorrow in the Angels home field. If they couldn't push around the B squad today, how much success do you think they will have in the series?

I'd like to think ST translates directly into the regular season, bit rarely works like that. How many times have we seen Albert put up vintage Pujolsian numbers in ST simply to revert to Angels form in April?

Anyhow, I don't know why today's game wasn't a regular season game. I can't remember seeing a three-game series in which the first game was exhibition and the next two regular season. Seems like a waste.

Ive been underwhelmed this offseason, and didnt catch any spring training games because of work. But ive watched a few this week (because they were at night), and i have to admit, it does seem better than expected. Maybe im just geeked because baseball is back, but either way, im ready to start the year. Playoffs will be a stretch, but we should have a fun year

I think the biggest thing I'm excited about after the Spring is our pitching staff. It doesn't get much credit, but if Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano all pitch the way they can, you can line them up behind Richards and suddenly find yourself with a really good rotation. At that point, you just sort of round it out with whoever is performing, be it Santiago, Shoemaker or anyone else.

Also, just imagine for a second that Morin is back to form, Rasmus is completely healthy, Bedrock is locating his pitches, and one of Alburquerque, Guerra or Mahle hit their stride. The Angels only need one of those to go right to have a competent bullpen, but if two or more happen, those kids could be really good.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I'm feeling somewhat "wait and see". Will the Angels again stumble out of the starting blocks in April? It seems a pattern with them, though they were "only" 11-11 in April last year.

To me, it just feels like too many guys have to have the best season of their career, thus far, for us to contend. Heaney, Trop, Santiago, Gentry/Nava, Soto/Perez, Cron. And KC has to improve his hitting from last year. We also need more from an Aging Albert.

Who knows about the bullpen? Tough to get a read.

83-79. Third place.

Three of the last four games the Angels put a B squad against regular starting rosters and won. If you don't think the Dodgers were interested in beating the Angels just because it was preseason you are wrong. The Cubs gave us tomorrow's starting lineup today and really didn't accomplish that much facing a number 5 pitcher and then scrub minor league pitchers.

The Cubs have to face the Angels full lineup tomorrow in the Angels home field. If they couldn't push around the B squad today, how much success do you think they will have in the series?

You're new to baseball, aren't you?

Nice assessment AJ.  

I didn't like last years team.  They were boring.  It was the most frustrating season I can remember for a really long time.  My biggest problem?  They sucked at hitting.  They had the second fewest hits in all of baseball.  They had the 5th lowest obp.  The hr and Mike Trout was how we barely got by.  So outside of Trout, we made more outs than any other team.  

This year, we are gonna hit our way on much more.  No more 'trophy taking' as Eppler calls it.  It's the return of frenzied hitting or at least the version that corresponds to our current environment.  We are gonna score runs and it's not gonna be a problem. 

In the end though, It's gonna come down to pitching.  We need to be better than last year.  

Richards has to be better.  He will

Santiago has to be better.  He will

Heaney needs to be about the same, but over a full season.  I am the least optimistic about that happening.  His minor league success was predicated on missing bats.  He hasn't been doing that in the major since he's been up and he gives up a lot of hits.  We shall see, but a k rate of somewhere in the mid 6s and a hit rate of almost 9 per 9 means that he would need to be a groundball pitcher to succeed.  He hasn't been and that scare me.  

Weaves is toast.  I love the guy, but he's not gonna last long in the rotation.  And that brings us to Skaggs.  He's gonna be the lynch pin for success this year.  I don't want to have to rely on him to succeed considering that he's coming off injury, but it's gonna be necessary.  

The last spot in the rotation is gonna be Shoe and Trop.  They will ham and egg it enough to get us what we need from that spot.  

The pen is iffy in my opinion.  Maybe a better way to describe them is capable yet unspectacular.  Why?  Because Street and Smith aren't dominant.  Alvarez and Morin and Salas and Rasmus and Mahle and Alburquerque and whoever else they throw out there aren't dominant.  Maybe, just maybe Bedrosian could be, but it's unlikely.  Chances are a couple of those guys have good years and a couple others have bad ones.  But it's gonna even out to mediocre.  We are that dominant arm in the pen away from being very good in this regard.  

You're new to baseball, aren't you?

baseball is played by humans.  On paper, spring doesn't mean much.  Sweeping your crosstown rival in games that don't really matter can give some umph to a clubhouse.  Confidence is real and can't be measured by WAR.  Anyone who has ever played baseball knows this.  

baseball is played by humans.  On paper, spring doesn't mean much.  Sweeping your crosstown rival in games that don't really matter can give some umph to a clubhouse.  Confidence is real and can't be measured by WAR.  Anyone who has ever played baseball knows this.

or any other sport. Or had a sales job. Or spoke in public. Or chased women....

I'm feeling somewhat "wait and see". Will the Angels again stumble out of the starting blocks in April? It seems a pattern with them, though they were "only" 11-11 in April last year.

Angels need to get off to a good start and have a solid April to start the season. Keep those bats working like they were in ST.