• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Carlos Quentin

ettin

Quentin refused an assignment to AAA today and was granted his release. In a very limited 36 AB's in Spring Training he hit .250/.333/.500 with 2 HR's, 7 RBI's, 4 BB's, and 7 K's.

Although I'm warming to the Nava/Gentry platoon and still think that is the route to go overall in terms of on-base and defensive skills, Quentin was, not so long ago (2013), a middle-of-the-order power hitter.

It really doesn't appear we have a spot and I seriously doubt he'd take a Minor League deal but if he were signed to a minimum Major League contract and replaced Gentry in the platoon role/bat off the bench would you consider it?

For the record the idea is not totally unappealing to me having a Nava/Quentin LF but I'm not sure it fits with our current organizational philosophy.

Edited by ettin

Notably Nick Swisher was also released by the Braves today.

I think it's a long shot Notti but I think the Angels gave Gentry a non-guaranteed contract for the exact reason that if they had an opportunity to upgrade (in their minds) they could.

Gentry has a career 100 wRC+ vs. LHP, Swisher a career 125 wRC+ vs. LHP, and Quentin a career 119 wRC+ vs. LHP. Out of the group Quentin has the best splits (actually slightly better vs. RHP at 122 wRC+), Swisher 109 wRC+ vs RHP, and Gentry a 73+ vs. RHP.

Swisher is 35, Quentin 33, and Gentry is 32.

Edited by ettin

Ettin, Nick Swisher has been done for three straight years. Whatever career stats you are culling they are from his pre Indians days.

Notti, I'm not advocating any particular player just throwing it out there for conversation along with some of the numbers.

Swisher has also had knee trouble for quite a while as well so let's throw that out there too.

Just a conversation dude.

Edited by ettin

Put it like this, if I'm a major league FA looking for a way to climb back into a regular role in the majors and possibly make a run at the World Series, I'd be coming to the Angels about a spot in AAA.

The reason, the Angels should be in the mix for a playoff spot this year, and their current LF options hit collectively under .200 last year. I'd be wagering on my ability to put up gaudy numbers in AAA Salt Lake (which is a great environment to do that in), plus Nava-Gentry-Choi's ability to not handle MLB pitching.

So Quentin or Swisher may find themselves here. Then again, in AAA, we already have Ortega, Buss, Kubirza, Hinshaw and potentially Cunningham. So we we may be full in the OF.