• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Top 30 Farm Update

ABC

1. Also, the Angels' Top 30 Prospects list has been updated. Taylor Ward, Jahmai Jones & Nate Smith are the top three: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=ana â€¦

3 retweets6 likes

Retweet

More

.@jimcallisMLB did a Q&A with young Angels OF Jahmai Jones. He's a really interesting prospect to watch ... http://atmlb.com/1XtrSbw 

4 retweets8 likes

Retweet

More

Yeah Ward, Jones and Alcantara are the only guys of the bunch where if everything comes together, they'll be (a backup C, and 4th OFer, and fringe pen arm). We drafted a lot of high floor players that are good for depth, but we don't have a lot of potentially elite talent.

your hyperbole is why people give you crap so I fixed it.  

your hyperbole is why people give you crap so I fixed it.

That's if it doesn't come together. Those are the LIKELY outcomes of these guys, and I don't dispute that. I'm saying that if Ward continues to hit like he did after being drafted, and if Alcantara learns to command all his pitches and Jones grows and refines all the talent he has, those guys would then be superstars. It's sort of like after Trout and Richards were drafted, their likely outcomes were an Aaron Rowand-type OF and a reliever. But each of those guys got better and became stars.

I know a man as smart as you are understands the difference.

That's if it doesn't come together. Those are the LIKELY outcomes of these guys, and I don't dispute that. I'm saying that if Ward continues to hit like he did after being drafted, and if Alcantara learns to command all his pitches and Jones grows and refines all the talent he has, those guys would then be superstars. It's sort of like after Trout and Richards were drafted, their likely outcomes were an Aaron Rowand-type OF and a reliever. But each of those guys got better and became stars.

but it's so unrealistic, why mention it at all?  

but it's so unrealistic, why mention it at all?

Was it also unrealistic that Cron turn into anything but a dead pull hitter? How about that Mike Trout ends up hitting over 40 HR's? Was that realistic in 2010? Or that Matt Shoemaker makes it to the major leagues and is the runner up for ROY? How about Kole Calhoun winning a gold glove in the majors back when he was relegated to first base at IE? What part of Daniel Nava's journey is realistic?

Alcantara finding command and Jahmai Jones refining his already impressive skills suddenly doesn't seem so unrealistic does it?

Was it also unrealistic that Cron turn into anything but a dead pull hitter? How about that Mike Trout ends up hitting over 40 HR's? Was that realistic in 2010? Or that Matt Shoemaker makes it to the major leagues and is the runner up for ROY? How about Kole Calhoun winning a gold glove in the majors back when he was relegated to first base at IE? What part of Daniel Nava's journey is realistic?

Alcantara finding command and Jahmai Jones refining his already impressive skills suddenly doesn't seem so unrealistic does it?

which of the three prospects you mentioned had Trout's pedigree?  

which of Shoe or Calhoun or Nava is a 'superstar' as you mentioned.  

Mike Trout stepped into rookie ball at age 17 and hit .360 with a .925ops.  From the second he hit the field, people were talking about him being a special player and pre-2010 he was in the top 100.  

Mike Trout is a superstar.  

I guess the question I have is what do you consider a superstar?  To me, that's a pretty short list.  

I think Jones has star player ceiling.  

I think Ward has the top side of an everyday very good catcher.  

I think Alcantara has upside as a good closer.  

I don't see superstar from any of them even if everything goes right.  

Again, it's your use of 'superstar' that is just not even on the right planet.  

So the likely outcome of our best prospect is he's a backup C. And we took that dude 1st round.  My god the future is bleak. 

which of the three prospects you mentioned had Trout's pedigree?  

which of Shoe or Calhoun or Nava is a 'superstar' as you mentioned.  

Mike Trout stepped into rookie ball at age 17 and hit .360 with a .925ops.  From the second he hit the field, people were talking about him being a special player and pre-2010 he was in the top 100.  

Mike Trout is a superstar.  

I guess the question I have is what do you consider a superstar?  To me, that's a pretty short list.  

I think Jones has star player ceiling.  

I think Ward has the top side of an everyday very good catcher.  

I think Alcantara has upside as a good closer.  

I don't see superstar from any of them even if everything goes right.  

Again, it's your use of 'superstar' that is just not even on the right planet.

You're nitpicking in star vs superstar, but I'll concede on that one. I'll say they'd be stars if it all came together. But you're still completely missing the point. It isn't about pedigree, it's about the unlikelihood of it all coming together perfectly for a player. Likely vs lottery. Trout hit the lottery, as did Richards, Shoe and Calhoun.

Alcantara and Ward are likely going to be a reliever and a platoon catcher. But if it all comes together (and this happens more frequently than you'd think), then we'd have an elite closer and all-star catcher.