• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels most upgraded Defense

NrM

1. Los Angeles Angels (+30 runs from Opening Day last year) — This is what happens when you swap Erick Aybar for Andrelton Simmons. That, andKole Calhoun has proven himself as a plus right fielder.

ranking 7nth overall. Defense going to need to be great to make up for the lackluster offense and pitching.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/previewing-the-best-and-worst-team-defenses/

No ****ing clue how much the upgraded defense will correlate to wins though.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

1. Los Angeles Angels (+30 runs from Opening Day last year) — This is what happens when you swap Erick Aybar for Andrelton Simmons. That, andKole Calhoun has proven himself as a plus right fielder.

ranking 7nth overall. Defense going to need to be great to make up for the lackluster offense and pitching.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/previewing-the-best-and-worst-team-defenses/

No ****ing clue how much the upgraded defense will correlate to wins though.

It'll be negated by the crappy bullpen. This season rests solely on our run prevention, not run production. 

2b is still an issue with Gia manning it but I think we will be seeing a  fair amount of Cliff Pennington.  If Gia doesn't come into camp improved, it will be Cliffy on opening day.  

I'm more concerned about CJ Cron playing anywhere but DH.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

MeeSeeks, FanGraphs "DEF" category equates about 10 runs saved to 1 win.

Essentially they are estimating an additional 3 wins added to our 2015 season for defensive improvements. Of course this has to translate into reality and that is a whole 'nother story.

Still needs to be seen what Escobar can do at third now that he's had a full season there, along with this winter and Spring Training, to work on it. I think Griffin will really help him become adequate there. Giavotella's vision problems haven't come back, maybe that helps stabilize his defense metrics a tad bit? If not, there's always Pennington to replace Giavotella late in games. I think Choi can become an option at first, he's gotten good marks on his glove there. Soto's an upgrade over Iannetta. Left field is probably "meh". 

Defense should be good to great in CF, RF, SS and perhaps C. LF doesn't look good if Nava gets most of the starts but Gentry should be solid. 3B doesn't look good judging by Escobar's metrics last season but I won't make a judgement until seeing Escobar in action. 1B and 2B look to be god awful with Gia and Cron as I've seen enough of them to know that neither provides much of anything there