• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting musings in Arizona

Red_Planet

This marks the time of year many of us or at least some of us, wander over into Arizona for the sun, fun, and games.  If you are such the type your occurrences and remembrances of those times may benefit us all?  For instance have you or someone close to you had an incident with any scorpions.  They're numerous and of course it is a desert there.  Lest we not forget?  I remember some years ago during their broadcast either Terry Smith or the late Rory Marcus told of being stung during the night in their hotel room.  And I remember of some Brewers vice president or someone was also stung during another spring.  Not to mention various ballplayers etc.  If you've been there or live there year round what can you tell us about the pests?

On a somewhat different note, the public may interact with players etc. differently in Arizona than the usual.  For instance you may bump into players at eateries and other places and may have amusing or interesting stories of such you could impart here?  Players are people too and seeing them 'in real life' is often new and different and fun for the day to day fan.  Give of this type knowledge you may have or other spring training type tales you know of personally? 

I was in AZ when Hellweg was at camp, before he began to gain notoriety as a prospect. My wife and I were out at dinner and bumped into him. I introduced myself and told him I was a fan. He was over the moon that someone actually knew his name, his grandma was so happy she gave me a hug. I got a picture with him, and it's your typical fan posing with an NBA player type, I'm only 5'9 and I think I may have reached the top of his shoulders.

Other small musings, I think just about every ball player exaggerates their height. Erick Aybar and I were the same height when we met, similar to Lucho. Alexi Anarista is listed at 5'6 but he was hardly taller than my wife at 5'2.

Arizona is just a fun time. I may or may not stop by for a day this year.

I don't worry about scorpions.  Just shake out your shoes and any clothes you have laying about.  And peel back the sheets and take a look before jumping in. 

I've seen several players around.  Saw Weaver and Richards at the W poolside club one night.  Saw Keith Law at dinner another night.  Chatted with him for a bit.  Nice guy. 

Really, these guys are all over the place.  Haven't been to Spring Training in a couple of years.  I'd like to get back some time.  Tons of fun. 

I don't worry about scorpions. Just shake out your shoes and any clothes you have laying about. And peel back the sheets and take a look before jumping in.

I've seen several players around. Saw Weaver and Richards at the W poolside club one night. Saw Keith Law at dinner another night. Chatted with him for a bit. Nice guy.

Really, these guys are all over the place. Haven't been to Spring Training in a couple of years. I'd like to get back some time. Tons of fun.

Yeah, KLaw is actually a really nice guy. Chatted with him a bit.

Trumbo, Conger and Trout were all really nice as well. Matt Klentak was awesome to hang out with, he was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Lucho always made it a priority totally to the fans off to the side. Trevor Reckling was a good kid. I played catch with a little known Angels minor leaguer, talked with a few scouts. Those guys love their job.

When it comes to ST, all the action is on the minor league diamonds. You meet everyone's families, they still think it's cool to have someone write about them, and they're just outgoing, haven't been tainted by fame.

Generally the baby scorpions are more venomous than the adults, believe it or not. They aren't a huge deal, a lot of the time they come out at night in search of water, so watch around bathrooms. That's where the majority of my 50+ scorpion kills have occurred.

Haven't been stung yet. +50 SAR (Scorps Above Replacement)

I have lived in AZ for the past 14 years and have just recently ran across my first scorpion ever about a month ago. I think there is A LOT of exaggeration on the animal/pest problems here... that, or I am very lucky. Of course there are more deserted areas than where I live (I live in suburbs). However, Tempe is very urban. I never get any spiders either and cannot imagine ever seeing a rattle snake near my home/area.

As far as meeting players, I ran into Salvy Perez at a nearby mall last year. Coolest dude ever like anyone would imagine! I also have a friend who met Puig at a Costco about 5 min from my house last year and he said he was also cool (believe it or not lol). I know some people who have seen Kershaw at that Costco in previous years too, not sure what it is about Dodger players hanging out there - it's not particularly close to their spring training stadium.

Will definitely catch a game this year, hopefully one of the days that some of you go! 

Generally the baby scorpions are more venomous than the adults, believe it or not. They aren't a huge deal, a lot of the time they come out at night in search of water, so watch around bathrooms. That's where the majority of my 50+ scorpion kills have occurred.

Haven't been stung yet. +50 SAR (Scorps Above Replacement)

Crazy lol, do you live near desert? Like I mentioned in my first post, I've only came across 1 scorpion in 14 years. 

Just shake out your shoes and any clothes you have laying about.  And peel back the sheets and take a look before jumping in. 

I never worry about shaking my shoes or anything like that either. Like I said, I personally think there is a lot of exaggeration unless one lives in the outskirts or in an infested area. 

Edited by marcosantinia12

Crazy lol, do you live near desert? Like I mentioned in my first post, I've only came across 1 scorpion in 14 years. 

well I lived in one house a few years ago that was right by a desert/mountains.  scorpions galore, and a coyote went into a neighbors yard and carried away its small lap dog when it was in the back yard

now i live in a 2nd floor apartment outside of phoenix so i dont get any scorpions

Gene Autry was the best owner of all time.  Maybe the most loved by his own players of any owner ever.  But that said he also kept a very loose leash on his players who loved to 'play' in their off hours very much too.  Many could and would close down the local watering holes of Palm Springs.  Gene might've just been too nice.  Rig had curfews and even bed checks back in the day but some of his charges were supposedly equally adept at circumventing them.  Sad that those rollicking days are over.  Although likely much hijinks still is occurring possibly more covertly now?

This will be my first spring training, my brother and I are heading out on Saturday March 12th and sticking around thru Monday, taking off Tuesday morning.

I welcome all advice.  I see the angels are in tempe that whole time - would it be worth it to skip one of the games and check out another stadium, which one?

Bo Belinski pal-ing up with diamond cutter Dean Chance might've taken years off his stuff?  We will never completely know?  Supposedly spring camp was a way looser and more fun oriented affair back in the day?  At all the camps supposedly.  Oh except if one was a long shot rook or a coach?  The Palm Springs weekend spring training games televised in those days by Autry's own KTLA channel 5, Dick Enberg and Drysdale, you couldn't have a better fun viewing experience.

This will be my first spring training, my brother and I are heading out on Saturday March 12th and sticking around thru Monday, taking off Tuesday morning.

I welcome all advice. I see the angels are in tempe that whole time - would it be worth it to skip one of the games and check out another stadium, which one?

Cubs. Or Rockies/Dbacks