• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTR West Notes: Segura, Lee, Rangers, Trout, Angels

ABC

FOX’s Ken Rosenthal writes that a fresh start with the D-backs might do Jean Segura some good. While it’s well known that Segura played through a devastating personal tragedy in 2014 — the unexpected death of his infant son — Rosenthal notes that other issues were also likely weighing on Segura’s mind throughout his tenure with the Brewers.

Namely, Segura rejected a seven-year, $40MM contract extension with an option for an eighth season attached to it in the spring of 2014, according to Rosenthal. The decision was driven in part by the fact that Andrelton Simmons, a fellow shortstop in the same service class, had recently signed a seven-year, $58MM contract extension with the Braves.

Former Brewers manager Ron Roenicke tells Rosenthal that the contract situation weighed on Segura. â€œWe talked a little about the contract,” said Roenicke. â€œHe told me it was bothering him. After that, (he lost) his son and the rest of the year was really rough for him.” Roenicke is a Segura backer and believes he can succeed, but at this point, it’s worth noting that Segura simply hasn’t hit since June of 2013.

After a torrid two-month stretch to open his first full season in Milwaukee, Segura has batted a collective .254/.287/.337 in 1540 plate appearances. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him some good, but that level of production isn’t any better than what Nick Ahmed brings to the table, and Ahmed rated as one of baseball’s premier defenders in 2015.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/jean-segura-rejected-extension-brewers.html

How stupid of Segura to reject that contract offer. He will make just a fraction of that money now. I don't know if it is a lack of intelligence in some of these players, greed, or a combination of the two.

Nobody compares to Ian Desmond...turned down 7 for 107....dumbest move yet....

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/101349016/shortstop-ian-desmond-turned-down-nationals-two-year-offer

So when do we sign Freese for 1 year 5 million?

You know, it wouldn't surprise me....kind of like Howie, he doesn't appear to have a lot of options....if there is no thought that Escobar could play 2b, probably won't happen but you could do a lot worse (like doing nothing all winter)...if Pujols is out for a couple of months, Freese could give you an option at DH, Cron at 1b.....if there is a thought that Escobar can play 2b, I'd do it in a heartbeat....

No point in going over the luxury tax for a few million is there?

If it improves depth and makes your team better then why not? If you go over the tax by 3 million it is about $500k in tax. If your team is sucking at the all star break I doubt it's that difficult to shed a few million in trades. Remember the tax is calculated at the end of the season.

If it improves depth and makes your team better then why not? If you go over the tax by 3 million it is about $500k in tax. If your team is sucking at the all star break I doubt it's that difficult to shed a few million in trades. Remember the tax is calculated at the end of the season.

Yeah but Arte apparently doesn't care. He won't pay a single dollar in luxury tax even if it would make the team significantly better.