• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: Angels Wasting the Best Years of Mike Trout

This writer is assuming Trout has peaked. I beg to differ. Every year to this point, Trout has improved an area of his game. I don't see how the next 5 seasons would be any different.

Is 2016 a dump of a season... it's appearing that way on paper. Are the next 5 years of Trout's career looking the same as 2016? Absolutely not.

Harper is getting taken care of,angels are going to run a super star out of town

How exactly is he being taken care of? Harper had a player strangle him in the dugout on national tv last September. The guy who attacked him was one of two possible closers for the team. What did the team do, they traded the other guy. Give me a break that Harper is being taken care of. Which player is sitting on $150 million contract? Not to mention Boras is Harper's agent, so even if the Nationals were taking care of him, he is probably going to the highest bidder regardless.

He's already had a few .300 seasons though so it's not like it's something he hasn't done.

He's a triple crown threat. I feel he is capable of a couple of Miguel Cabrera type years in his late 20's early 30s. The point being, he hasn't peaked in my opinion.

The problem is that he has really no one hitting behind him. Why pitch to him?

Why pitch to him last year? He got a total of 14 IBB, or 4 more than the stiff hitting behind him. When you are the best player in the league there is not reason to ever pitch to you. No one outside of Miggy would be a reason to pitch to Trout.

This past season was the first Trout cracked 40 HR. He was on pace for a very special season until he got injured. He had finally figured out that inside high fastball. I look for him to cut down on the strikeouts, increase the walks, hit 40 HR, steal 20, and drive in 110 guys. In other words, Trout has not had his best years yet.

The sad thing is, if you look at the structure of the deal, the Pujols contract hasn't even hurt us yet. No one expected Trout to become the player he's become, and yet here we are. The talk of wasted money is overstated, between Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver and Wilson we have done well. The problem is that the talent level of the organization has dropped so low that we have not been able to maintain the success you would expect from our payroll.

With the current state of the farm system this will probably only get worse. It has been a huge failure on the part of the front office for not realizing the amount of money it would require to maintain a winning team without investing in the organization as a whole, while simultaneously being unwilling to change course even in the sight of indisputable failure.

This certainly has been the case so far during the Trout era. First 5 years(well 4 full years) and only 1 playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins to show for it. They have 5 more years left to change that.

You are right. Trout needs to play better in the playoffs.

Oh well. Its partially Trouts fault for signing an extension too soon.  He could have just hit the open market the second he becomes a free agent, and still gotten an insane deal while also going to a team that gives him the best chance of winning.  

What incentive do the Angels (Arte) have to build a winner now?  Trout is locked in for a few more years.  Guaranteed profits for Arte which gives him the flexibility to not spend another dime and cheap out on everything he knows how.  Trout has no leverage to try and force Arte's hand at building a winner.  Hes going to be Arte's cash cow for a while and when the day comes that his contract is close to expiring, maybe then Arte will get serious about building a contender.  

Keep in mind I firmly believe that one really good impact bat this offseason would have made the Angels a serious contender.  We have yet to see what Trout can do with lineup protection.  Cespedes or Upton could have really done great things for our lineup.  

Can you imagine if Trout and Donaldson switched places?  It wouldnt even be fair.  

What exactly is Harper's contract details that he is so taken care of?

I think he is likely referring to the team built around him. Of course, the Angels tried to do that as well but most people will ignore that. And yes, I agree that the Angels should have signed one of the top LF options this year in a deep FA class and have no idea why Moreno has decided to not go over the tax with the expiring contracts after this season. Hopefully, this gets rid of the whole "not my money" and "it hasn't prevented us from signing anyone in the past" bullshit rhetoric a lot of people liked to throw out in the past. It most certainly affected the way we viewed free agency this offseason.