• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Been looking for a fun, cheap project car

nate

7 minutes ago, nate said:

Any idea what was causing the loss of power?

None whatsoever. It happened, it went away and I haven't had the problem since.

I now have a problem where the SU carbs are not returning to idle and the car is running at 2k rpm unless I drag the clutch to force the engine to drop to idle. These damn carbs use oil and there is an actual piston that moves up and down to control some of the fuel mixture. 

Going to pick the brains of one of the spitfire guys that is pretty much an SU carb whisperer. I have the tools, he has the brains. Maybe we can get it sorted before I drive back home Sunday.

Did I mention the overdrive now wants to randomly pop out of gear. Yeah, that's fun on the freeway when suddenly it drops from 4 high to 4 low and the RPMs jump another 800. 

13 minutes ago, nate said:

Our house was built in 1967 and the electrical panel and meter hadn't been upgraded so in order to get full 32 amp charging going to the Tesla it cost another $2600 not including the $500 cost for the wall charger.

Looks like you aren't going to see any fuel savings before Trout's retirement party. 

It's Friday the 13th, there was a moonlight cruise scheduled tonight of Triumphs going from Santa Maria to the beach and back that I was going to participate in. 

But at 4:45 this afternoon I was on a call to Moss Motors in Goleta requesting a replacement starter. I had just finished doing a wipe down of the entire car, used a nap brush to clean up the carpets and even cleaned all the windows and when I turned the key all I heard was the electric motor spin but not engage. 

Tomorrow I will remove and install a brand new starter in the parking lot of the Radisson while judges will be walking through the stalls and accessing points. Hopefully my tool box gets best in show. 

The show was this morning and Spitfire row looked pretty nice with all bonnets raised. Mine is the only stock car so it may earn some judging favor. 

After the judges completed their review we got to work and removed and replaced the old starter. It was not all that difficult and only required removing the engine shrowd and the oil sensor to heve the room to remove the old unit. The new one was almost an e act replica and slipped into place without  hitch. 

20190914_090712.jpg

20190914_100232.jpg

Left for home this morning at 6am. At 52 degrees and fog it was a rather chilly drive. I really had never used them before but the fog had coated the windshield on the drive so I tried the wipers. To my surprise they worked perfectly. 

There is minimal lighting on a Spitfire dash and I had forgotten that I had left the heater slide in the hot position from the night before. So fumbling in the dark I slid it the opposite way, thinking I turn the heat on and drove all the way to Ventura for our breakfast stop wondering why the car felt so cold inside. Idiot. 

That overdrive problem? Well that got progressively worse to the point I had to hold the stick shift to the right to keep the override switch disengaged. I wasn't about to hold that damn thing in place the whole drive home so I decided it was time to employ some high tech dynamic tensioner to the stickshift shaft. 

20190914_162744.jpg

Looks original which is a good starting place. You have to drive it to see if it's running right but it looks like it was very well maintained and that's the original paint color.

Just know that they were detuned and are pretty slow in stock form. That's easily changed, if you want to spend the money. Or you just drive it as is until it tells you it's time for a rebuild. Then follow this guideline for raising the HP back up.

http://auskellian.com/paul/links.html

Although it has a lower differential than the previous years it still isn't much of a freeway machine. The cure is either installing a Laycock overdrive or go the more reliable, albeit more expensive, 5 speed conversion. But if the intent is drive around town, a few winding roads, then leave it stock and polish it up for the local car shows.

As for the bumpers, that front end didn't change much over the years of the cam tail production so you can swap them out for the lighter chromed. Again, money and a little wrenching. 

Plenty of info on this website to search for more info on the 1500 series.

https://www.triumphexp.com/forum/spitfire-and-gt6-forum.8/

• 2 weeks later...