• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels could go for short-term trade solution in OF

A quote from the article

"That being said, the Angels would still likely prefer to get a longer-term solution by signing one of the prominent free agents to a four- or five-year deal."

um, not to be the bearer of bad news, but there aren't going to be any 4yr contracts for any of the prominent free agent outfielders.  Every team would prefer this.  

A quote from the article

"That being said, the Angels would still likely prefer to get a longer-term solution by signing one of the prominent free agents to a four- or five-year deal."

um, not to be the bearer of bad news, but there aren't going to be any 4yr contracts for any of the prominent free agent outfielders.  Every team would prefer this.  

I think that was Alden Gonzalez take on the amount of years. 

like i said, everybody would like that trade, but what would it take to get him? he was supposedly a nontender candidate, which makes no sense to me. so, maybe he is affordable on the trade market?

could a reliever like gott actually get it done? i would do it. 

or 

perhaps he wasn't really a nontender candidate and the market is stronger for him. in that case, i would think santiago would be fair. he was an all star last year, so there is some play for him.

i think everybody here, almost to a man, would love to acquire ben revere. he'd be a fantastic fit for this team. fits so many needs and allows the angels to upgrade other positions through FA.

Ben Revere isn't bad but he isn't very good. He has a nice average and is fast, but doesn't walk, has no power. Overall a fairly average player. The Angels need more impact hitters.

What do we have left to trade?  Our most valuable assets went to Atlanta, to fill a position that wasnt even a weakness.  Theres talk of trading Gott, but that would be absurd considering the bullpen needs upgrading as it is.  

We need to sign someone for Left Field.  Otherwise, youre looking at another David Murphy or Shane Victorino type player coming over for cheap.  

The Angels need impact period.  It the one reason I am willing to at least go along with the Simmons trade even though I thought we overpaid.  

The offense was actually better than the SP when compared to the rest of the league.  

But prevention or production.  Whatever.  We need both.  There is a little more diversity on the pitching side.  ie.  fewer eggs in one basket.  On the offensive side, it's Trout, a couple of avg to slightly above guys, and then three positions with replacement to below production.    

It's not just about who you can get but who you can get that's better than what you have.  You have a decent pen so impact would be a lock down arm.  You have a bunch of 2,3,4 starters.  So the impact is at the front end.  

The easiest and most cost effective way to improve the team is to take those three replacement level positions and put average players there.  Think about it.  

Last year we had the following

LF:  -1.0 WAR

2b:  0.3 WAR

DH: -0.2 WAR

SS: 0.7 WAR

3b has the potential to be replacement level.  

DH is unlikely to improve much almost by the sheer nature of how it's calculated.  (the 8th best DH has 0.5)

3b wasn't great, but 2.3 WAR they produced has to be reproduced.  

We've already got a 2-3 WAR improvement at SS

Having a 2 WAR player at both LF and 2b with everything else the same gives you a almost a 7-8 WAR difference above last year when you account for SS and adding 2 pretty average players at LF and 2b.  

2 WAR at each of LF and 2b shouldn't cost you that much.   Do you pay 150 mil to add 4 WAR to LF and keep 2b at league min or do you spend 70-80 mil to improve both position to average and get the same production?  Granted, it would be great to improve both positions dramatically, but the point is that it's not gonna take as much as we think to improve the team considering that we've upgraded SS and could sign a couple of league average players.  

don't be surprised if that concept has been considered.  It wouldn't be popular with the fans, but they may talk talk talk all winter and do exactly that.  

I like Ben Revere and wouldn't mind him in LF, but if the Angels went that way, they would need to at least bring Freese back and then upgrade at 2B.

Adding Ben Revere at LF and Neil Walker at 2B and resigning David Freese at 3B would be very low key, but it would be an improvement over the 2015 lineup. 

Why trade and lose quality players when we can get better players on the FA market and only give up cash? I very highly doubt Arte can't afford 2-3 free agents to expensive contracts. You can't act like a big market team and then cut costs like crazy when they don't work out. Spending got us in this mess and the only way to get out of it is to spend. Nothing on the farm to rely on and very few trade chips. Fill whatever holes you can fill on the FA market and whatever you can't fix through free agency needs to be brought in through trade with the the few trade chips we have.

I think Revere might end up playing solid defense if he's moved to LF and has someone with as much range as Trout in CF. Basically Denard Span without the hip surgery.

I'd be perfectly fine with Revere in LF, if it meant Kendrick at 2B, we dealt for Plouffe at 3B, and signed someone else like Morneau for depth until Pujols returns. I mean we can work with...

Revere, Calhoun, Trout, Morneau, Plouffe and Cron

Why trade and lose quality players when we can get better players on the FA market and only give up cash? I very highly doubt Arte can't afford 2-3 free agents to expensive contracts. You can't act like a big market team and then cut costs like crazy when they don't work out. Spending got us in this mess and the only way to get out of it is to spend. Nothing on the farm to rely on and very few trade chips. Fill whatever holes you can fill on the FA market and whatever you can't fix through free agency needs to be brought in through trade with the the few trade chips we have.

I see plenty of FA signings coming but probably only 1 big signing, maybe 1 other mid tier signing. Unfortunately, the money does matter so while I see Arte maybe going a little over the luxury tax, I don't foresee him going absolutely bonkers and going 20-30 mil past it.