• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumbo to the Orioles for Steve Clevenger

He should mash in that park, and division. Not sure about who baltimore gave up, but if we had something similar i would have liked to see us make an offer.

Hes flawed for sure, but some of the stuff i read on here about him is funny. His on base skills are meager, but he actually had a better obp than calhoun last year...who a lot on here still advocate batting towards the front of the order.

Maybe calhoun just had a down year. But his obp the last two have trended downward as his power increased. Isnt that what trumbo basically is?

Not related to Mark Trumbo... Kole Calhoun needs to stop selling out for 25 HR and get back to the 2014 Calhoun that had 15 HR, more doubles, a better BA, and closer to a .330 OBP.

10:34pm: Dutton now reports that the second player headed to Baltimore in the deal is believed to be on Seattle’s 40-man roster. This is only speculation, but either Steve Baron or Jesus Sucre would replenish some of the depth Baltimore is losing by dealing Clevenger, and both have minor league options remaining.

Not related to Mark Trumbo... Kole Calhoun needs to stop selling out for 25 HR and get back to the 2014 Calhoun that had 15 HR, more doubles, a better BA, and closer to a .330 OBP.

agreed. More because of how bad our overall team obp is. Hed be fine as he was last year if he batted like 6th (or 5th) and we had a few on base guys batting 1 and 2. But we dont...hes one of our middle of the order guys. Cron too...thats troublesome

Actually if they sign Heyward I disagree with this statement. It is very likely that if the Angels do pick up Jason he would be more of the leadoff type while Calhoun might very well move to the 5-hole.

Kole has a pretty consistent solid .200+ ISO so I could easily see the Angels shifting him in the order depending on how the offseason progresses.

Actually if they sign Heyward I disagree with this statement. It is very likely that if the Angels do pick up Jason he would be more of the leadoff type while Calhoun might very well move to the 5-hole.

Kole has a pretty consistent solid .200+ ISO so I could easily see the Angels shifting him in the order depending on how the offseason progresses.

The Angels need men on base in front of Trout.  Donaldson batted with something like 78 more men on base than Trout in 2015. The Angels need baserunners in front of Trout.

The 2014 Calhoun was better at getting on base than the 2015 Calhoun. If the Angels can get men on base in front of Trout (Heyward, Prado, Revere, whoever...) I'm fine with the 2015 Calhoun. At that point, Calhoun can maximize ISO and hit 5 behind Pujols.

Yeah, Trumbo should recreate Davis' overall numbers, minus 5 HR's, 10 points in BA and 60 points in OBP. Still, not bad considering he'll cost a franction of the price, you didn't have to give up much for him, and you don't have to keep him longer than a year.  Who knows, maybe playing in the AL East supercharges Trumbo's numbers and the Orioles can get draft pick compensation next winter. 

All in all, it's a good deal for Baltimore, and makes me really think Dipoto just does not like Trumbo as a baseball player.  Next thing you know, he'll trade for Skaggs.

He's like the Eiffel Tower except 100 feet shorter and made of wood

If Trumbo can get back to his 2011-2013 levels(.250/.300/.460 type level), then he certainly still has some value. 9-10 mil for Trumbo is probably a bit much for Dipoto's likings for next year but I have to wonder if a better offer was out there. This strictly looks like a salary dump as Clevenger is pretty much a AAAA type backstop. Although, Trumbo hasn't exactly been good the past 2 years and he's stuck as a 1B/DH guy so maybe the interest was pretty low. 

That's why I want Heyward, cost be damned (it's not my money). He also solves our leadoff hitter problem.

Heyward

Simmons (his OBP is high for the Angels)

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

Perez/Soto

3b

Gia

nate, if you're shelling out that kind of dough...

I think I'd rather sign two OFers (Heyward and Gordon/Cespedes!) and trade Calhoun for a good SP (Carrasco? Wheeler?) than sign one of the big name FA pitchers. Flip another starter for a vet infielder.

$20m-$30m for starting pitching, especially when we have so much of it, is just nuts. That player gives you 32 games a year and if they miss a year with injury or TJ you're blowing a ton of dough. I'd rather invest $20m-$30m for someone who plays 155 games a year. 

I also think having a lock-down #1 is overrated if you have an excellent #2-#4 in the rotation and a good pen, at least for the postseason, which is what we all play for! Look at the postseason struggles of Price and Kershaw. I'd rather have a deep rotation of #2-#3 types. 

Richards, Heaney, Carrasco, Santiago, Weaver (Skaggs/Tropeano in wings)
Street, Smith, Gott, FA pen arm, and all those others.

Perez, Pujols, Giavotella, Simmons, Plouffe
Cespedes, Trout, Heyward

Cron, Soto, Pennington, Ortega

Edited by totdprods

nate, if you're shelling out that kind of dough...

I think I'd rather sign two OFers (Heyward and Gordon/Cespedes!) and trade Calhoun for a good SP (Carrasco? Wheeler?) than sign one of the big name FA pitchers. Flip another starter for a vet infielder.

$20m-$30m for starting pitching, especially when we have so much of it, is just nuts. That player gives you 32 games a year and if they miss a year with injury or TJ you're blowing a ton of dough. I'd rather invest $20m-$30m for someone who plays 155 games a year. 

I also think having a lock-down #1 is overrated if you have an excellent #2-#4 in the rotation and a good pen, at least for the postseason, which is what we all play for! Look at the postseason struggles of Price and Kershaw. I'd rather have a deep rotation of #2-#3 types. 

Richards, Heaney, Carrasco, Santiago, Weaver (Skaggs/Tropeano in wings)

Street, Smith, Gott, FA pen arm, and all those others.

Perez, Pujols, Giavotella, Simmons, Plouffe

Cespedes, Trout, Heyward

Cron, Soto, Pennington, Ortega

Dee Gordon was the centerpiece of that lineup to me.  Dude is a perfect leadoff hitter, 2b and really good.

Trumbo is done.

he would have been tied with calhoun as the 3rd best hitter on this team last year...

Hes going back to 1B for the first time since 11, so the worry about his glove wont be there. Hes going to a hitters park, in a hitters park division. If he stays healthy ill say he'll be pujols 2014 next year, with a slightly less obp (.300-.310) but probably more power and total bases.

To say hes done is silly...

Trumbo in 2015:

.262/.310/.449/.759

Last year is essentially his career line. If his OBP were 60 points higher would he be $100MM FA?

dont know about that much, but if he got his obp up 20 points, and remained a comsistent high 20s HR threat, hed definitely get paid. Not 100, probably more like 50 over 4 years i would think.