• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The perfect fit.....

Ohtaniland

He's absolutely the perfect fit. But I'm going to go ahead and assume the Yanks would want either Heaney or Richards for him. Unless the Angels plan on throwing a ton of money at a starter this offseason, they can't afford to trade either of those guys.

Wilson is probably out of the question, even if they paid most of his salary. Santiago is honestly probably the best the Angels could do and I don't think he gets it done. An extreme flyball pitcher in NY spells disaster. They could perhaps throw in Tropeano to sweeten the deal but I don't think that would be wise.

I don't really see a match. If Eppler can find a way, then godspeed.

Not opposed to the move. He could leadoff, Simmons could bat 2nd, as he is a good contact guy. He also would see a lot of fastballs batting ahead of Trout. Then Calhoun could be moved to the 5th spot to give Albert some protection. Cron would bat 6th, Then Perez, Cowart/Kubitza and Gio to finish the lineup.  Going with Gardner might give Eppler a little more cash to upgrade 2b/ 3b SP,RP.

Not opposed to the move. He could leadoff, Simmons could bat 2nd, as he is a good contact guy. He also would see a lot of fastballs batting ahead of Trout. Then Calhoun could be moved to the 5th spot to give Albert some protection. Cron would bat 6th, Then Perez, Cowart/Kubitza and Gio to finish the lineup.  Going with Gardner might give Eppler a little more cash to upgrade 2b/ 3b SP,RP.

Albert needs protection?...from who, the IRS?  Trout is the only guy in this lineup that merits protection.  Because Albert is behind him in the Sciosciaplan, Trout will lead the world in walks.  Calhoun cleanup, Cron, and then Albert if he recovers from yet another old, overweight guy injury.

Albert needs protection?...from who, the IRS?  Trout is the only guy in this lineup that merits protection.  Because Albert is behind him in the Sciosciaplan, Trout will lead the world in walks.  Calhoun cleanup, Cron, and then Albert if he recovers from yet another old, overweight guy injury.

you're trippin' if you think albert is hitting 6th.

Not a fan. Not worth what we'd have to trade away for slightly above average talent. 

1. "slightly above average" is a million times better than what the Angels threw out in left this year.

2. Define "slightly above average". I'd consider a player who has averaged a 3.9 WAR the last 3 years and a 109 OPS+ during that same period to be quite a bit better than above average. He's not a star talent, but he's a good all-around player.

I do agree though that he's probably not worth what we'd have to give up. Would rather Arte just throw money at Heyward or Upton and keep the pitching.

I've been wanting a true leadoff hitter for years now, and have been very much monitoring the whole Gardner situation. I'd make the trade for Santiago and Cron for Gardner and a reliever or good prospect. Then, we could sign Davis to mostly play 1B while Pujols mostly DHs. The concern with Gardner is his poor second half, but, that could be attributed to his injuries. If Arte wanted, we could go after a pitcher like Cueto then, The Yankees might do this as they don't have anyone to take over 1B after next year (I don't recall them having a decent 1B prospect--I could be wrong), and long-term, that would help them lower their payroll or allow them to go after Upton if they wanted.

While I think I'd mostly prefer Heyward and moving Calhoun to left, trading for Gardner does make some sense. A lineup of Gardner, Calhoun, Trout, Davis, Pujols, Cowart/Kubtiza, Gia, Perez, Simmons would score some runs.

While I think I'd mostly prefer Heyward and moving Calhoun to left, trading for Gardner does make some sense. A lineup of Gardner, Calhoun, Trout, Davis, Pujols, Cowart/Kubtiza, Gia, Perez, Simmons would score some runs.

that's 4 of 9 that basically can't hit. that's not gonna work.

I really like the idea of getting Gardner. Your right in that he is a great fit, although I'd rather sign one of Heyward/Upton more only because of the youth. But I'd be thrilled to get 2-3 more solid seasons from Gardner.

As for trading Wilson and Cron, I don't know if I am a fan of it, Dave. They have Bird taking over 1st base so it wouldn't be a fit anyways, but I think Cron's upside is too intriguing to trade for a 32 y/o outfielder. I would be fine with it if we were low on options, but this FA class is extremely deep in both expensive as well as inexpensive options. I'd like to package Santiago in a deal for Gardner, but I would rather use him as trade bait for a 2nd or 3rd basemen, where the FA class is much thinner. However. If Eppler can get creative I'm all for it.

How about...

Santiago + Giovotella + Yabrough/Hinshaw for Gardner.

They get a cost-controlled pitcher, giovotella who would be an upgrade for them at 2nd, and a future possible 2nd baseman in Yabrough. You could argue that its best for us to keep Yarbough because of our own need at 2nd base, but if we can pick one up via FA for a couple of years and buy time for Baldoquin, then we can afford to trade him.

Sign Cabrera on the cheap for 2nd base.

Sign Maeda to cover Santiago's rotation spot and make CJ or another pitcher expendable.

Sign Hwang for 3B.

Really conservative offseason.

Edited by marcosantinia12

Starting his age 32yo season with 3yrs and 40mil guaranteed.  

He's a solid players whose ability to walk would be a nice fit at the top of the order.  But his age scares me relative to his skill set and his power is a major function of his home park.  CJ wilson isn't gonna get it done so I think I'd pass on having to give up anyone else to acquire him.  

1. "slightly above average" is a million times better than what the Angels threw out in left this year.

2. Define "slightly above average". I'd consider a player who has averaged a 3.9 WAR the last 3 years and a 109 OPS+ during that same period to be quite a bit better than above average. He's not a star talent, but he's a good all-around player.

I do agree though that he's probably not worth what we'd have to give up. Would rather Arte just throw money at Heyward or Upton and keep the pitching.

As much as I love the whole WAR argument, it's not the end all of player evaluation. But you're definitely right he'd be an upgrade.

So would a fat mannequin (do they make those?) we stuck in LF with a glove dressed up like Scioscia though.

I wouldn't trade anybody but Wilson or Weaver for him.

I've been wanting a true leadoff hitter for years now, and have been very much monitoring the whole Gardner situation. I'd make the trade for Santiago and Cron for Gardner and a reliever or good prospect. Then, we could sign Davis to mostly play 1B while Pujols mostly DHs. The concern with Gardner is his poor second half, but, that could be attributed to his injuries. If Arte wanted, we could go after a pitcher like Cueto then, The Yankees might do this as they don't have anyone to take over 1B after next year (I don't recall them having a decent 1B prospect--I could be wrong), and long-term, that would help them lower their payroll or allow them to go after Upton if they wanted.

Cron would not be someone the Yankees would need. They have a young left handed (tailor made for Yankee Stadium) power hitting first baseman named Greg Bird. He was very impressive with 11 home runs and an .871 OPS in 46 games after Teixeira was injured.