• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Prospectus - Angels Top 10 Prospects

John Smith

The Executives:

General Manager: Billy Eppler
Director, Pro Scouting: Hal Morris
Director, International Scouting: Carlos Gomez
Director, Amateur Scouting: Ric Wilson
Director, Player Development: Bobby Scales

It’s difficult to judge this group, as several new faces are in new roles, but the hiring of Eppler brings a chief who has a quality scouting background. While he’s best known as the Director of Pro Scouting for the Yankees (and Brian Cashman’s right-hand man), he also spent time on the amateur side while in Colorado, and though it’s a large task to finish (begin?) rebuilding this system, it’s one Eppler and his staff are qualified to accomplish.

The Angels have been willing to spend big money on the free-agent market, but with the regrettable exception of Baldoquin, they have been frugal—to put it nicely—with their draft and international free agent decisions. Some of that can be blamed on the new allocation system and the fact the Angels have given up a number of picks to sign free agents, but they have not taken chances with the picks they have had, going the safe route with players like Ward early and often.

That being said, several teams have been able to build strong systems without spending big; the Angels player-development just hasn’t done a good enough job of developing players. They’ve historically underinvested in that department, and it could be seen in their Latin American facilities, their use of technology in minor-league ballparks, and many smaller areas. That’s an issue that the club has tried to fix in recent years, but they’ve been playing catchup, and it shows. There are far too many Delgados and Hunter Greens in this group. While some of that is bad luck, ultimately it comes down to Scales and his group to flesh these players out. There’s something to be said about the process of the players acquired, but ultimately it’s a results-driven business, and the results haven’t been good enough on the player-development side.

Edited by bloodbrother

best of luck to eppler and his staff.  

I hope some of these guys can go out and prove people wrong.  

Of course I hope Taylor Ward does well, but I will never forget that clip of the halo draft command center going berserk only to draft a guy they could have taken a full round later.  

I am pretty amazed that Ric Wilson hasn't been replaced.  

If I see 'high floor' come out of this org anymore, I'm gonna complain about it on the internet. 

I think Arte Moreno is a great owner and we are lucky to have him, but he has been horrendous on the player development side. The complete refusal to develop a presence in Latin America is non sensical, as has been the failure to spend on international prospects (until Baldoquin).

I agree that that is the biggest failure of this organization. That being said I understand why he stepped away from Latin America, but we should have been back there by now.

I think Arte Moreno is a great owner and we are lucky to have him, but he has been horrendous on the player development side. The complete refusal to develop a presence in Latin America is non sensical, as has been the failure to spend on international prospects (until Baldoquin).

I've been critical of this situation, but a lot of it has to do with what happened down there.  The Angels were basically labeled crooks, and I've been told by other scouts that their teams used that to sway those guys and their families away from the Angels -- just planted the idea that they were a team that couldn't be trusted.   It's really been a case of old sins casting long shadows...

I've been critical of this situation, but a lot of it has to do with what happened down there. The Angels were basically labeled crooks, and I've been told by other scouts that their teams used that to sway those guys and their families away from the Angels -- just planted the idea that they were a team that couldn't be trusted. It's really been a case of old sins casting long shadows...

Was there a specific player(s) that got a raw deal from the Angels? I dont remeber s story about it.

They're a lot higher on Joe Gatto than I am. Alcantara, Farcia and Jewell too.

And as far as this being the worst ever, it's certainly the worst I've ever seen, but I mostly pay attention to the Angels and Padres.

Still, we should get some production from the likes of Tropeano, Cowart and Kubitza, so I guess it isn't completely bare.

They're a lot higher on Joe Gatto than I am. Alcantara, Farcia and Jewell too.

And as far as this being the worst ever, it's certainly the worst I've ever seen, but I mostly pay attention to the Angels and Padres.

Still, we should get some production from the likes of Tropeano, Cowart and Kubitza, so I guess it isn't completely bare.

Hey Scotty, do you post your thoughts on Padres prospects anywhere? I too am Angels fan with a soft spot in my heart for the Padres & I'd love to see what you think of theit prospects. Thank you in advance Edited by HALOS23