• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Comments on Plaschke's rant on the Hamilton trade?

Bill Plaschke of the LA Times authored another column blasting Arte and the Angels for 'giving up on Josh Hamilton"

This is at least his second column blasting the Halos and specifically, Arte, for not treating Hamilton 'better'

While one may agree or disagree with Plaschke's comments about Hamilton's 'disease' and can take issue with the Halos quickly cutting ties, I can hardly think that Arte Moreno, the guy who really gave Hamilton a real chance - can be blasted for being disappointed in Hamilton's conduct.

Arte (some would argue foolishly, given the history) put a ton of money in Hamilton's pocket and received from Hamilton a promise to conduct himself properly and to remain in playing shape.  Hamilton failed and yet was not sanctioned by MLB because of a carefully worded clause in the MLBPA collective bargaining agreement.

oh well.

I'm with Arte. No one's kicking himself harder than Arte for signing Hamilton to that contract.

But to fault Arte and the Angels for Hamilton's failure -- I don't think so.

anyone else in almost any other profession would be out of job with their contract voided under the same set of circumstances.

anyone else in almost any other profession would be out of job with their contract voided under the same set of circumstances.

but this isn't any other profession, that's the whole point. Do players have too much power in MLB? Yes. Guaranteed contracts suck, but that's the nature of the business. The smartest thing for Arte and the Angels - both from a business and on-the-field baseball perspective - would have been to be as supportive of Josh as possible so that they maximized the production they got out of him, no matter how pissed off they were privately. And for the record, I would have been pissed too. But what they've done over the last few weeks is alarmingly foolish and short-sighted. 

I think they deserve to get slammed for this -at least from a business and baseball perspective. I do get irritated with reporters getting on their soapboxes vis a vis the disease of addiction.

Pardon my language here but I swear this country is pants-on-head retarded.

This ****ing asshole did COCAINE, an ILLEGAL ****ING drug, while under contract. He did cocaine, and is being paid 83 million ****ing dollars to do it. And he is the ****ing victim. Poor Josh. He has a disease, he needs help. He's a poor soul who lost his way.

Obviously the Angels should have had cocaine available in the clubhouse because Joshy-woshy has a disease and can't help himself.

I'm gonna go do a line of coke right now in the bathroom of my work and then tell my boss I did it but it's ok because I have a disease and if they try to fire me then they are a bunch of mean POOPY HEADS and should be shamed for their absolutely disgusting behavior. 

I've read other reporters stating that it should never have gone public and it lead to an uncomfortable position with his family and no employee should be treated like this etc.  Hamilton is going to look like the good guy to a majority of people out there.  They overlook the whole cocaine thing. 

i really don't care what any revenue driven, click bait, subscription based talking head has to say in regards to who is a good person and who isn't. i know which side of the assembly i sit on and that's all that matters to me. i've been disliked before. i've even stood on the "wrong" side of a few fights before, due to obligation. as josh so blithely stated in his eloquence, it is what it is. 

tdawg, do you think he's the only player in MLB history to do cocaine or any other illegal substance while under contract? BFD. He's an addict with a long history of abuse. He, and any player have all the power once that contract is signed. If the Angels and their fans insist on crying about that and trying to buck the system, they look like foolish assholes. Doesn't mean Hamilton is in the right or a "victim", it's just the reality of the situation.

I would agree that you could be critical of the Halos' action from a business/ financial stand-point........it makes little sense but then virtually every one on this site said the same thing when they signed Hamilton to that contract.........anyone familiar with those with addiction issues knows the last thing you should do is provide a long term contract like that - you have to keep a real short leash to control conduct.......

obviously, this is a great deal for Texas, a division rival. Minimal to zero risk, high reward all while the Angels pay for most of the contract.  Hamilton could continue his 0-13 run from last year's playoffs and the deal is still a good one for Texas.

as for the Halos, it can be criticized --and is being criticized -- but I'm with Arte. No ambivalence on his part. Cut ties, Move on.  It would have been a lot easier (and smarter from a business stand point) for Arte to hold off and let Hamilton try to work himself back into shape etc...... Not Arte. Disappoint him personally like that (and I am sure Arte had a sit down personal talk with Hamilton when he signed him).......and suddenly you don't exist in his eyes.  Gotta respect a guy like that. No nonsense. Puts his money where his mouth is. Admits and eats his mistakes.

time to move on.

I've read other reporters stating that it should never have gone public and it lead to an uncomfortable position with his family and no employee should be treated like this etc. Hamilton is going to look like the good guy to a majority of people out there. They overlook the whole cocaine thing.

If it never should have gone public then why did the press pursue the story?

Because the sharks don't care who they bite when they sniff blood.

I would agree that you could be critical of the Halos' action from a business/ financial stand-point........it makes little sense but then virtually every one on this site said the same thing when they signed Hamilton to that contract.........anyone familiar with those with addiction issues knows the last thing you should do is provide a long term contract like that - you have to keep a real short leash to control conduct.......

obviously, this is a great deal for Texas, a division rival. Minimal to zero risk, high reward all while the Angels pay for most of the contract.  Hamilton could continue his 0-13 run from last year's playoffs and the deal is still a good one for Texas.

as for the Halos, it can be criticized --and is being criticized -- but I'm with Arte. No ambivalence on his part. Cut ties, Move on.  It would have been a lot easier (and smarter from a business stand point) for Arte to hold off and let Hamilton try to work himself back into shape etc...... Not Arte. Disappoint him personally like that (and I am sure Arte had a sit down personal talk with Hamilton when he signed him).......and suddenly you don't exist in his eyes.  Gotta respect a guy like that. No nonsense. Puts his money where his mouth is. Admits and eats his mistakes.

time to move on.

I hear you Disar - I guess I can respect it from a business standpoint, in that he's willing to eat his mistakes. What really irks me is the baseball side of it - he basically just gave his division rival an inexpensive opportunity to hurt him.

tdawg, do you think he's the only player in MLB history to do cocaine or any other illegal substance while under contract? BFD. He's an addict with a long history of abuse. He, and any player have all the power once that contract is signed. If the Angels and their fans insist on crying about that and trying to buck the system, they look like foolish assholes. Doesn't mean Hamilton is in the right or a "victim", it's just the reality of the situation.

This has nothing to do with his contract or trying to void it. It has everything to do with the media making Josh look like the victim.

Josh is an assclown. He is in the wrong just as much as the Angels FO. Yet no one will openly say that.

If it never should have gone public then why did the press pursue the story?

Because the sharks don't care who they bite when they sniff blood.

...looks like i picked a bad time to give up swimming. or a good time? i don't care, i just love kirk douglas.

Edited by ukyah

I'm gonna go do a line of coke right now in the bathroom of my work and then tell my boss I did it but it's ok because I have a disease and if they try to fire me then they are a bunch of mean POOPY HEADS and should be shamed for their absolutely disgusting behavior. 

Actually, under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) combined with the Affordable Care Act, you cannot necessarily be fired.  Drug addiction is now considered a disability so you could go to a treatment facility/home and have it covered by Obamacare.  If you are fired by your employer and they know you have an addiction/drug problem and you have informed them you need care, the employer typically must accommodate your stay-cation at a rehab facility.

This is one of the reasons there has been an explosion of rehab homes the last couple years.  These homes are cash cows.

So...sniff away!

Actually, under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) combined with the Affordable Care Act, you cannot necessarily be fired.  Drug addiction is now considered a disability so you could go to a treatment facility/home and have it covered by Obamacare.  If you are fired by your employer and they know you have an addiction/drug problem and you have informed them you need care, the employer typically must accommodate your stay-cation at a rehab facility.

This is one of the reasons there has been an explosion of rehab homes the last couple years.  These homes are cash cows.

So...sniff away!

Well, it's all circuses and vomitoriums from here guys.

Actually, under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) combined with the Affordable Care Act, you cannot necessarily be fired. Drug addiction is now considered a disability so you could go to a treatment facility/home and have it covered by Obamacare. If you are fired by your employer and they know you have an addiction/drug problem and you have informed them you need care, the employer typically must accommodate your stay-cation at a rehab facility.

This is one of the reasons there has been an explosion of rehab homes the last couple years. These homes are cash cows.

So...sniff away!

The ADA doesn't protect current drug users. And the ACA doesn't mandate coverage of in-patient rehab facilities.

I find it disconcerting that so many people nationwide are taking the side of the user. What does that say about the state of recreational drug use across the U.S.?

The Angel's PR department failed in controlling the message coming out of the front office and unfortunately that is drawing so much ire that Hamilton's drug use is being smothered under that story.

I'm glad he's moved on. I'm glad Arte sucked it up and ate most of the money. I'm glad we can re-focus on Angels baseball. I hope Josh gets better. I hope Hamilton strikes out every at-bat against us.

The ADA doesn't protect current drug users. And the ACA doesn't mandate coverage of in-patient rehab facilities.

Didn't use the word mandate.  Used the word 'could.'  It's part of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act passed in anticipation of the ACA.  

ADA does protect current drug users unless they seek treatment for addiction on the same day the drug user started using a drug.  As always, all of the above depends on what level of insurance you have, just like I can't get my migraine meds covered under the ACA because I don't have the right tier (i.e.: how much you have paid for insurance).

As addiction is now a disability, and California, under both DFEH and CRFA closely follows Federal laws (specifically FMLA) on work sick leave, there is the possibility of going away to rehab (or going to work intermittently while in rehab) if you have a SHC (Serious Health Condition).  The whole purpose of the MHPAEA is to equate addiction with other serious health issues such as cancer.   If you're employed in California your employer should have given you information on some these rights.  However, before you go on a strippers and blow bender, make sure you've been at the same employer for at least 12 months.  (If you're almost at that 12 months but can't wait to go bananas, you can qualify for the 12 months if you get a doctor's note that you need to take a leave two weeks before that 12 months has tolled.  Just make sure you inform you're employer.  Call your HR chick and tell her you're an addict and the doc says you need a little break).

So, I would still sniff away.