• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

intrasquad game 3/18/15

eventful day . . .

Garret Richards threw 3 innings, gave up 1 hit and struck out 4. Struck out Baldoquin.

Shoemakers threw 5 innings, gave up 2 runs on 4 hits.

CJ Wilson threw 2 scoreless innings a day after being scratched due to illness. Could still get 3 more starts before 2nd game of season.

and apparently Taylor Featherston hit a HR off Shoemaker. He's really making it hard to leave him off the OD roster.

....apparently Taylor Featherston hit a HR off Shoemaker. He's really making it hard to leave him off the OD roster.

Seems like they want to keep him so he'll make the roster but he's made a case to be the opening day 2bman.....would be very unScioscia like to do that but he's been the best of the candidates so far....

Edited by DMVol

He's made a case to be the opening day 2bman.....would be very unScioscia like to do that but he's been the best of the candidates so far....

can't argue that. Rutledge, "the favorite", has pretty easily been the worst, at least in terms of numbers.

Seems like they want to keep him so he'll make the roster but he's made a case to be the opening day 2bman.....would be very unScioscia like to do that but he's been the best of the candidates so far....

I really like Featherston. He would be my pick with Green in the utility role.

Shoemaker has given up runs all spring

People get way too invested in Spring stats.  Pitchers are mainly trying to get into a groove and maintain release points, as well as refining weak pitches and testing things out they normally wouldn't in a game situation.  Which is also why you see nobodies hit .400 in Spring and then proceed to return to mediocrity during the season's grind (is a hitter going to get five consecutive change ups in the same zone during a real game?).

Short of his arm falling off or tearing a ligament, Shoemaker will be fine.

maybe i missed something, but why assume Rutledge is the favorite?

It's been assumed by most since the beginning for a couple reasons:

A: The Angels gave up a pretty good relief prospect for him

B: He has the most MLB experience of any of the other options

Those factors don't guarantee him the position, but they certainly give him the edge out of the gate. If he continues to stink it up while Featherston continues to impress, yet still wins the starting job, then those assumptions were correct.

Never said that.

Shoemaker is a bigger question mark going into 2015 than Weaver is That's for dang sure

Nah, I know you didn't.  I'm just saying people will praise or dismiss ST outcomes depending on how they feel about a guy.

It's the other way around. We had an entire thread dedicated to Weaver's start and how it shows he isn't "done".

Didn't that thread come after a thread burying him in his previous start?

Regardless, people tend to go to extremes with ST results in both directions.  

In the Weaver thread you made the comment that it only counts if it is positive.

Which is silly because while that may be true for half-full fans, it certainly isn't true for the half-empty ones.

Oh yeah.

I think you know me well enough by now that most of what I say is serious, but almost always has a level of tongue-in-cheek in it. In another thread I made a half-assed complaint about the team blowing the lead in the 9th on 3 consecutive days.

It's been assumed by most since the beginning for a couple reasons:

A: The Angels gave up a pretty good relief prospect for him

B: He has the most MLB experience of any of the other options

Those factors don't guarantee him the position, but they certainly give him the edge out of the gate. If he continues to stink it up while Featherston continues to impress, yet still wins the starting job, then those assumptions were correct.

those reasons and most of the beat writers were speculating he was the favorite early in ST. He was/is starting at 2B along with the other regular position players, and in the same hitting group as the regulars.

I have been in Tempe since Saturday and attended today's scrimmage. Here are a few notes...

1-Richards is flat out nasty and looks like he is ready to go, made pretty quick work of our minor leaguers today.

2-Shoemaker didn't look out of sync mechanically but he was getting the ball up

3-Featherston and Sherman Johnson are both great guys and put together solid ABs. I think Featherston makes the club as an UIF. If he doesn't hack it, I can see Sherm taking the role mid season.

I really like what both of them bring to the table and I get the feeling the Angels' brass does as well.