• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who the hell is Rucinski

NrM

Is it possible that Shoemaker and Rucinski are victims of the same prospect rating process that never had Calhoun pegged as much of a prospect? Maybe lack of high ceiling and age relative to league average is causing these players to be overlooked?

I think this could be correct. This exists in all fields, really. I know nothing about law but I imagine that firms are more excited to hire the 25-year old young punk fresh out of law school than the 45-year old who is starting a second career, even if the latter is a more finished product and has years of experience and wisdom that the former won't have for decades (if ever).

I think this could be correct. This exists in all fields, really. I know nothing about law but I imagine that firms are more excited to hire the 25-year old young punk fresh out of law school than the 45-year old who is starting a second career, even if the latter is a more finished product and has years of experience and wisdom that the former won't have for decades (if ever).

This is very true, at least for most firms. And it makes no sense whatsoever.

besides our hitting this spring(not against bum)....Rucinski is definitely a diamond in the rough type situation and seemingly the most exciting thing we got going in the spring. Shoe mapping out a dream scenario last year gives this thing even more legs.  i think rucinski has better stuff...most batters seem to have a tough time squaring up pitches when they do get the bat on the ball...there were a few of course, but i think that will lead to a great whip in the 1 range.    that fielding play to third probably had scoc wetting his pants.   I liked how he had him finish the game and feel some pressure to close it out.

cron came thru again...the running play by featherston to make it home was great...but it seemed that the ball was not 100 percent out of reach for a catch...he was rounding 2nd when the ball hit the ground.   I like him....good looking kid. 

He's done this twice, how are the Angels not going to give him a shot as 5th starter?

It isn't as if Santiago, Wilson, Heaney or Tropeano are outperforming him.

I agree. I like Santiago coming out of the pen anyhow. We don't need two CJ Wilson's in the rotation. 

Weaver

Richards

Shoemaker

Wilson

Rucinski with Santiago, Tropeano, Heaney, Alvarez and a few others ready to go in case there's an injury. 

Love our depth! 

The more I think of it, since we've lost Rasmus for 6-8 weeks we could use a long reliever like Santiago. 

wilson is in the rotation with the contract he has.  rucinski has blown away so far the two young guys in the competition...not even in the same ballpark this spring.  i mean there is confidence when he is on the mound.   i am truly excited that dipoto has the ability to find these guys...i think we are in great hands hopefully for next 15 years with him kicking ass in front office.

I agree. I like Santiago coming out of the pen anyhow. We don't need two CJ Wilson's in the rotation. 

Weaver

Richards

Shoemaker

Wilson

Rucinski with Santiago, Tropeano, Heaney, Alvarez and a few others ready to go in case there's an injury. 

Love our depth! 

The more I think of it, since we've lost Rasmus for 6-8 weeks we could use a long reliever like Santiago. 

Agree. Would like to give him a shot at #5 starter

There is zero chance of Rucinski being in the Angels rotation to start the year. If he makes the team it will be as the new Cory Rasmus. He could work that into a starting role later.

that's a shame.  he's really done more than any of the other options to win a spot.  

it also makes me think that it doesn't really matter what any of these guys do in spring and that every spot is pretty much preordained.  

There is zero chance of Rucinski being in the Angels rotation to start the year. If he makes the team it will be as the new Cory Rasmus. He could work that into a starting role later.

It's a shame if that's the case, and I hope the Powers That Be will change their minds on that. As the others have mentioned he's outperformed the prospects, Santiago and Wilson, and he's certainly making a case for that 5th spot. I would certainly trust him to start over Heaney or Tropeano.

that's a shame.  he's really done more than any of the other options to win a spot.  

it also makes me think that it doesn't really matter what any of these guys do in spring and that every spot is pretty much preordained.

I agree with this. And it's really frustrating. Obviously guys like Wilson and Weaver don't have to prove themselves, but what has Trop or Heaney done to warrant a spot on the team. It seems like this happens every year. Why not let someone who is killing it in spring training play for a few weeks in the majors? Once it wears off, send them back down. But at least we get the guys who are playing better to kick start the team in the beginning of the year

that's a shame. he's really done more than any of the other options to win a spot.

If by "preordained" you mean based more on a player's entire career and years of scouting and statistics instead of what a player does in the blink of an eye of meaningless exhibition games, then you're right.

If by "preordained" you mean based more on a player's entire career and years of scouting and statistics instead of what a player does in the blink of an eye of meaningless exhibition games, then you're right.

yes, that is what I mean.  and when you match up the career of Green, Gia, and Rutledge, they all seem pretty darn similar.  They are all about the same age.  

Isn't the redundancy the point?  Because if it doesn't matter, then why bother.  

And the games don't matter, and the stats don't count, but the process of spring training is far from meaningless.  

Sometimes it does matters how people perform in the blink of an eye.  When the pressure is on.  When you have been asked to perform under a microscope.  

I don't know what is going on behind the scenes in terms of preparation.  I don't know which of these guys appears the most coachable or seems to really get it.  

Ultimately, one guy has stepped up.  To me, that matters.  Maybe it's not what I think it is, and that's fine, but then they shouldn't tell us it's a competition for someone to win a spot.    

Let's not pretend Rucinski's performance thus far is a flash in the pan.  His arsenal plays up at the major league level and he experienced considerable success in AA Arkansas last year.  He doesn't have any glaring platoon splits, he came into camp this year with a better idea of what he's doing with his change up and splitter, he's even added a bit more snap on his curve ball, which got loopy at times last season. 

I think if you want to talk about extended success to base decisions off of, Rucinski's showed for a full year and a half now that he can and will pitch at the top level.  He's even better now than what we're basing this off of, which is impressive. 

I think the organization as a whole has to be careful of falling into the same line of thinking that prohibited this team from experiencing increased success.  Super-conservative thinking on prospects and an unwillingness to change directions or promote players that deserve it handicapped this team, which is a trademark of Scioscia, who good as he may be isn't perfect.  GMJ and Kotchman over Kendrys Morales, Juan Rivera over Peter Bourjos (which meant moving Hunter away from CF), not promoting Trumbo when Morales went down, Wells over Trout who was kept in AAA until May when he was already the best player in baseball. 

That's a long and consistent history of being unwilling to go with fresh blood.  Thankfully that's changed recently, the Angels have been much more aggressive in challenging their prospects, but we can't let this old habits resurface.  When a player earns his shot, you give it to him. 

Drew Rucinski has earned that opportunity, and no one among Santiago, Heaney or Tropeano, talented as they are, has showed they should stand in his way of that. 

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Rucisnski's competition for this last rotation spot includes Heaney, Tropeano, and Santiago, all of which have limited, or even no, MLB experience. If we are using the definition above then Hector has the job all locked up.

Also Rucinski's excellence is just a continuance of what he did last year in the Minors.

I sincerely believe that Rucinski is not a flash in the pan pitcher, he has sustainable talent.