• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

From Window to Wormhole

Docwaukee

Doc, you are totally right about the darkness that this franchise was headed towards, and Mike Trout is the key reason for the turn around but it really comes down to this:

• Mike Trout became the best player in baseball
  • Garret Richards became one of the best pitchers in baseball
  • Cole Calhoun became a well above average outfielder
  • Matt Shoemaker, out of nowhere, became one of the better starting pitchers in the game

I don't think any of these was really expected. This is the new cheap young core, and they have to be at LEAST 10-15 wins better than our more optimistic expectations for them were. Jerry has done a good job with his supplemental moves, but I'm not sure I'd give him the bulk of the credit for turning things around.

What a difference a year makes.

Good point ALF. Most of the key that has made us one of the better teams as of today was in place pre dipoto.

But i think where he deserves credit is where we stand organization wise, top to bottom. Financially were stable, we went from having nothing really to lean on if things went bad to a very decent crop of upside young guys. That and the bullpen are two things he should get credit for.

Im still in the sign moncada camp. We do that, and assume he and baldoquin both were to hecome solid everyday mlb'ers, we suddenly have a very young team that would potentially be together at least 3 or 4 years. And cost wise it should be manageablw exactly as we get salary increases to the dead weight, and pujols drops off a cliff (which will happen withing the next 2-4 years).

Doc, you are totally right about the darkness that this franchise was headed towards, and Mike Trout is the key reason for the turn around but it really comes down to this:

• Mike Trout became the best player in baseball
  • Garret Richards became one of the best pitchers in baseball
  • Cole Calhoun became a well above average outfielder
  • Matt Shoemaker, out of nowhere, became one of the better starting pitchers in the game

I don't think any of these was really expected. This is the new cheap young core, and they have to be at LEAST 10-15 wins better than our more optimistic expectations for them were. Jerry has done a good job with his supplemental moves, but I'm not sure I'd give him the bulk of the credit for turning things around.

What a difference a year makes.

I don't know about that.  While I agree that those players have outperformed expectations, the fact that they have been kept above a bunch of other players is telling.

Trout is a no brainer.  Obviously  you aren't going to move him.

Shoemaker, I agree, came out of nowhere

but Calhoun could have easily been moved instead of Bourjos, Grichuk, Trumbo, Morales etc.  

and Richards has had that potential but was (in my opinion) being mishandled early in his major league career, and could have easily been either in starter/reliever limbo or traded.  

Sometimes, the best moves are the ones you don't make.