• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH's Top 30 Countdown

Second Base

Hey everybody, check this section for daily updates and scouting reports on the Angels Top 30 prospects. 

Here's the initial list - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/previewing-the-mwah-top-30-la-angels-prospects-countdown.html

And we even kick off the prospect season with a profile on our 30th ranked prospect 2B/3B Andrew Daniel - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/previewing-the-mwah-top-30-la-angels-prospects-countdown.html

Good bat for a middle infielder.  Will be interesting to see if he can take a walk in the Cal League to substantiate his numbers. 

No Sherman Johnson in your Top 40? A little surprising. I understand he's 24 and only completed High A, but you can't force the org. to move you up when there's guys blocking you in the higher levels.

Good plate discipline, quick hands, good speed, decent fielder with good range.Lefty bat who can handle left-handed pitchers, profiles as a top of the lineup guy. 

Our 29th ranked prospect, OF Miguel Hermosillo - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/la-angels-prospects-countdown-29-miguel-hermosillo.html

Lots to be excited about here.  Plus athleticism, speed, strength and a good BB%.  There are still some kinks to be ironed out but there's a lot here to work with.  

With apologies to the WWE, about the #19 guy....................we just need to BO-lieve!

Is Ricardo Sanchez the first ever under 18 year-old to be ranked in the top 3 in the org by any service? 

BBA had Joe Torres ranked as the Angels number one prospect at the end of the 2000 season.   He turned 18 that September and entered 2001 as at the top rated prospect in the system.

Our 29th ranked prospect, OF Miguel Hermosillo - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/la-angels-prospects-countdown-29-miguel-hermosillo.html

Lots to be excited about here.  Plus athleticism, speed, strength and a good BB%.  There are still some kinks to be ironed out but there's a lot here to work with.  

nice write up.  guys like this are fun to track because they are all upside.  

huge L/R split.  

wood bat transition is big for a guy that didn't have a lot of baseball time prior to being drafted.  

lots to be excited about.  BB rate, defense, power/speed potential.  

he stole 10 of 14 so his CS rate was less than 30% btw.  

Our 28th ranked prospect, RHP Daniel Hurtado - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/la-angels-prospect-daniel-hurtado.html

Literally the least sexy prospect of all time.  But then again, so was Shoemaker (before the beautiful luscious beard) before he entered the league and showed that a low 90's fastball that moves + command = success. 

What I really want to see is the Angels insert Hurtado into a starting role in the Cal League this next year. 

Sherman Johnson is in our top 12. Dude, not even in your top-40? That's nuts Scotty. He has what it takes not only to be a major league utility man in the mold of Chone Figgins, but like Figgins, a starter in the big leagues. 

Anyhow, our list is coming out the first of the year. It's much different. We've gotten some good feedback from Ric Wilson, Angels scouts and some from outside scouts that Saltzer has talked to that influenced our list. Plus our own naked eye and evaluations.

And yes, Andrew Heaney is our #1 Prospect after the trade. It was Newcomb. 

I do have to rewrite my list indeed!  Heaney is the clear-cut #1.  I'm thinking Featherston fits in the top 15 somewhere.  As for Sherman Johnson, yeah I noticed you guys rated him highly last year as well.  I personally just don't see it, but from everyone I've talked to, he seems like one of those guys everyone really likes.  For Jonah Wesely, keep in mind this is a combined effort.  I felt he was good enough for the top 30, Garrett thought otherwise.  We averaged them together and he was left out, but that doesn't mean we don't like him.  An aggressive LHRP is nothing to sneeze at.  

RHP Drew Rucisnki is our #18 prospect - http://monkeywithahalo.com/player-projections/la-angels-prospects-countdown-27-drew-rucinski.html

I like him.  He's a steady, two-pitch pitcher that spots both of these offerings and is effective.  Also, just shows you how much he wants it that he's still playing professional baseball after going undrafted, going Indy Ball, being signed, being cut, going back to Indy Ball and being signed all over again.  This kid has what it takes. 

Yeah, he really has. The first year drop off was understandable. The second, not so much. Then he flailed at everything in the AFL and dropped switch hitting altogether. Both he and the Angels are searching for just about anything right now. I have him listed in the top 30 because if his talent and being at AA in a key position. But unless something magically clicks, I don't see him as any likelier of a 3B option in the majors as Sherman Johnson or Cal Towey.

I don't think Cowart is interested in making that move. The whole reason he signed with the Angels was so he could play 3B. Other teams wanted him to pitch and he did want to do that. Plus you have to keep in mind that if he were to move back to the mound, it'd be as a RP, and he'd be starting all over again at age 23. He'd be lucky to be in the big leagues by 27 or 28 at that point and even then, it wouldn't be in a premier position.

His best course of action is to play 3B for as long as he can. Then when it's simply not an option anymore, if it gets to that point, he could switch.

My guess is it's really his decision. Plus, it isn't like the Angels have decidedly better options right now. They can pay up for Freese, or give it Green with Yarbrough at 2B and risk the defense, or they can give it to Rutledge and risk having no bat there. Or they can strike a balance with Featherston.

None of those are really sure-fire options. I think Cowart sticks at 3B and the best I think the Angels can hope for is that he has a Nelson Cruz (hopefully the non cheating kind) moment and figures it out in his late 20's.

It's all level of play.  I mean his BABIP was inflated by the MidWest and Cal League.  His line drive percentages really weren't that high and he was chopping everything into the ground.  But players just aren't as good there, they don't get to those balls in the holes. He was also able to put some lift into the pitches he was seeing and drive them into the allies.  This just isn' the case in AA.  Pitchers have figured out that if you keep it knee high on the corners, all Kaleb can do is hit a feeble ground ball at the 2B.  Then just to change things up, they've learned that a good elevated fastball also gets Kaleb every time.  He either swings and misses or he pops it up on the infield.

Now granted, the environment isn't helping him at all, but the reason why the Angels haven't promoted him is because the environment isn't the culprit.  He just isn't making the adjustments. 

My guess is it's really his decision. Plus, it isn't like the Angels have decidedly better options right now. They can pay up for Freese, or give it Green with Yarbrough at 2B and risk the defense, or they can give it to Rutledge and risk having no bat there. Or they can strike a balance with Featherston.

None of those are really sure-fire options. I think Cowart sticks at 3B and the best I think the Angels can hope for is that he has a Nelson Cruz (hopefully the non cheating kind) moment and figures it out in his late 20's.

Of course they have decidedly better options than a guy who can't hit his weight in double A. Come on man, even the worst players in the MLB tore up the minors

Our #26 prospect, 3B Cal Towey - http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/la-angels-prospects-26-cal-towey.html

Good splits, good discipline.  I hope the experiement with catching is over and done with.  The Angels need 3B help and this could kid could be part of the equation if not the answer himself.  We'll really find out what he's made of this next season in AA.  He's quite a bit behind the age curve, but it's my hope that his offensive abilities are enough to translate to the majors.

Having a lefty swinging 3B with slight pop that can get on base and play for the league minimum would be amazing.