• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Angels banking on pitching depth for 2015

I didn't realize just how much pen depth we have. It's crazy. Kudos to Dipoto for the job he has done.

Does anyone know anything about Brooks Raley and Alex Sanabia? Both have done very poorly and aren't young. They seem to have no business being on the 40-man. What gives?

I didn't realize just how much pen depth we have. It's crazy. Kudos to Dipoto for the job he has done.

Does anyone know anything about Brooks Raley and Alex Sanabia? Both have done very poorly and aren't young. They seem to have no business being on the 40-man. What gives?

Wopphil, I sent my Primer Part IV yesterday to Dave and Chuck to post, it should be out tomorrow, I think, and I discuss Sanabia and why I think the Angels signed him to a Minor League deal. Raley I don't talk about but looking at his player page I wonder if the Angels think that he too can greatly increase the use of his two-seam fastball in combination with his other pitches, particularly what looks like a pretty decent curve ball.

It's a long read on this part of the Primer but I think it is worth it to really see how much depth we have in the rotation. In fact today there was an Angels article release about starting pitching depth. I go a little more into the particulars but the story is the same: the Angels have a lot more depth this season. It may not be front of the rotation guys but there are potentially some average to above average pitchers ready to take a spot in case of injury.

Wopphil, I sent my Primer Part IV yesterday to Dave and Chuck to post, it should be out tomorrow, I think, and I discuss Sanabia and why I think the Angels signed him to a Minor League deal. Raley I don't talk about but looking at his player page I wonder if the Angels think that he too can greatly increase the use of his two-seam fastball in combination with his other pitches, particularly what looks like a pretty decent curve ball.

It's a long read on this part of the Primer but I think it is worth it to really see how much depth we have in the rotation. In fact today there was an Angels article release about starting pitching depth. I go a little more into the particulars but the story is the same: the Angels have a lot more depth this season. It may not be front of the rotation guys but there are potentially some average to above average pitchers ready to take a spot in case of injury.

I look forward to reading it!

Hmm. I'd like to be optimistic, but cannon fodder doesn't equal depth in my mind. This article seems to emphasize quantity and ignore quality. I can buy that the Angels have 25 pitchers who are, if you squint a bit, rough semblances of major leaguers. But for one, most of them are relievers, and two, very few of them have much upside. Hope I'm wrong.

Hmm. I'd like to be optimistic, but cannon fodder doesn't equal depth in my mind. This article seems to emphasize quantity and ignore quality. I can buy that the Angels have 25 pitchers who are, if you squint a bit, rough semblances of major leaguers. But for one, most of them are relievers, and two, very few of them have much upside. Hope I'm wrong.

To be clear someone like Sanabia is a reclamation project. He could easily flame out. However I think you need to look a little past the name recognition and focus more on what these depth options actually are: Average AL (or better) pitchers.

That has value for the Angels. Some of these guys (Rucinski for instance) have some really solid upside (think #3 type pitcher).