• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

For the first time in a long time, there might be reason to be concerned about Weaver

jshep

Actually, I am not overly concerned.  He actually didn't get totally shelled last night and he couldn't locate his fastball for squat and was missing in the zone big time.  Once he realized that, he went to the breaking stuff big time.  He threw almost no two seamers after the first inning and he was fairly effective.  If he goes out and struggles while putting  the ball where he wants, then I will be concerned.  He didn't hit 90 vs cinnci and gave up two hits.  Why?  Cuz it went where he wanted for the most part.

he's never had an over-powering fastball though.

Well ya, but that doesn't mean that it isn't concerning when it goes down more and his performance suffers for it. And its not like its just his first 2 starts of this season.

Like I said, I'm not panicking yet, but it's at least mildly concerning at this point.

I just wonder about the change in arm slot...  Why change something that was working very well?  It is still early, I will reserve my concern if he is struggling still at the end of May.

I don't see much change in his arm slot this year.  However if you go back and watch him from 2006 till now the change is pretty striking, he use to turn away from the batter much more and throw from a much lower angle.  As he has begun to turn less an less and throw more and more over the top he's continued to lose velocity and lost the snap on his slider.  Now luckily he developed an amazing changeup to compensate but now that he's throwing a bp fastball out there the change in speeds will not be as great and his change won't be as good going forward.  

He'd best find that extra 3-4 mph on his fastball or we're in trouble.  

Well ya, but that doesn't mean that it isn't concerning when it goes down more and his performance suffers for it. And its not like its just his first 2 starts of this season.

Like I said, I'm not panicking yet, but it's at least mildly concerning at this point.

but im drunk...sooo, during this debate you are wrong

How can anyone not be concerned? He is the ace of this staff and the Halos don't have a lot of depth to fill in. His velocity in ST was around 85 as well

so?

we won the first game he pitched...we were in (down only 1 run) the 2nd game he pitched....why stress...its april f*cking 8th lol

I love how no topic can be discussed in this place without a whole bunch of dipshits coming in and making moronic comments about "failios" and the like. Weaver is leaking FB velocity at a pretty alarming rate, it's hard not to be concerned. He's a good enough pitcher to still be effective if he's throwing 86-88, but he's lost plenty of MPH in a very short span of time. What if it gets worse? For me, that's the real concern.

I love how no topic can be discussed in this place without a whole bunch of dipshits coming in and making moronic comments about "failios" and the like. Weaver is leaking FB velocity at a pretty alarming rate, it's hard not to be concerned. He's a good enough pitcher to still be effective if he's throwing 86-88, but he's lost plenty of MPH in a very short span of time. What if it gets worse? For me, that's the real concern.

its also start # 2...so there is that..lol

his entire career > two 2013 starts..lol

Actually, I am not overly concerned.  He actually didn't get totally shelled last night and he couldn't locate his fastball for squat and was missing in the zone big time.  Once he realized that, he went to the breaking stuff big time.  He threw almost no two seamers after the first inning and he was fairly effective.  If he goes out and struggles while putting  the ball where he wants, then I will be concerned.  He didn't hit 90 vs cinnci and gave up two hits.  Why?  Cuz it went where he wanted for the most part.

Agree. His problem last night wasn't velocity, it was his inability to throw a strike.

Maybe he doesn't like intelligent discussion, tdawg.

i tried and failed to multiquote, but the moral of the story is this: i have no such "rose colored view" of the angels this year. i believe they are still paying the price for the reagins era and have picked them to miss the playoffs this year, which would make them a massive disappointment to many people around the country.

i don't even particularly disagree with the OP, as he stated a case with some possible merit.

i did say, however, that this place turns into a bunch of nancy boys who want their cake when the regular season starts. any objective person could look at the first page of this forum and see i'm right.

if you guys want to pout, knock your socks off, i don't post that much during the regular season because of it, but you can expect me to tell you that you're a sissy. you've either got the moxie for the long haul or you don't.

in any case, like what i think or say matters to you guys anyway. i know that and so do you.

I don't have a problem admitting it.  Yeah, I am worried about Weav.  The drop in velocity, he can work with, I think anyone that's watched him knows this.  But there's only so much decline any one pitcher can work with and still be as successful as Weav's been.  Jered Weaver at 87-89 is a legitimate ace.  But Jered Weaver at 84-86, I fear is not.  We can bring Greg Maddux up all we want but the fact is Maddux was a once in a generation talent.  That's not something you can count on occurring with any pitcher.  On top of which, Maddux could dial it up to 91-92 when he needed, but often didn't because he was more effective at 87.  Weav couldn't touch 90 right now if he wanted.  

Now grated the wind was blowing and Darvish was sitting a tick or two lower than his normal self, so there is a part of me that says there's no concern here.  Still, he's got a strained elbow and this staff in the current way it is constructed relies HEAVILY upon Jered's ability to dominate.  If he's hurt, or if he's ineffective, Garrett Richards will either need to turn into an effective starter immediately or C.J. Wilson will need to be his old self from the first half of last year and prior. 

Luckily, I see both possibilities as likelihood.  So I don't fear for the angels rotation, but I do fear that Weaver is no longer an ace.   

Cincy was a misleading game though.  He was in trouble every inning.  Far from being sharp.  

so?

we won the first game he pitched...we were in (down only 1 run) the 2nd game he pitched....why stress...its april f*cking 8th lol

I'm not of the crowd that thinks he's done, I'm just concerned about the health of out best pitcher. I want him to be on top of his game.