• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who stays and who goes next year?

In these three games the Royals pitched, hit and defended better.  I think the Angels should have won this series but not gotten through the next round.  Shoe, Weave and then nothing.

That's all I was expecting.    The O's are a totally balanced team that somehow overcame the loss of Machado, Wieters, and in late September Chris Davis and still swept the Tigers, although two games went down to the wire and the third (game 1) was a two run game after 7 1/2 innings.  

I expect the O's to beat the Royals in 5, despite not having Wieters to battle the base stealers. 

Unless the conversation is about whether or not the manager should be fired in which case it totally does...

I wanted Scioscia gone for a while now. Having the best record in baseball didn't change my mind. I think Dipoto should be given the opportunity to select his own manager. Someone who sees things the way he does.

And yeah, he made many terrible mistakes in the postseason. No question about it. And not for the first time. Playing Hamilton? Wilson? Those bunts? And so forth. Didn't make him look good.

Aybar isn't going anywhere. 

It's interesting to see people back on the trade Aybar and Kendrick bandwagons.  Those two are 2 of the top 3 WAR position players on the team and both signed to value contracts.  I get the idea that they might bring in the most but if the idea is to improve the team next year then trading those two likely isn't the answer.

I wanted Scioscia gone for a while now. Having the best record in baseball didn't change my mind. I think Dipoto should be given the opportunity to select his own manager. Someone who sees things the way he does.

And yeah, he made many terrible mistakes in the postseason. No question about it. And not for the first time. Playing Hamilton? Wilson? Those bunts? And so forth. Didn't make him look good.

Having the best record has little to do with it, you're trying to use that as some sort of point of reference to paint any opposing viewpoint as nothing more than simpleton content with middling success -- cheap tactic and easy to dismiss.

Unlike yourself, I don't really know if playing Hamilton was all on MS or not.  Both Dipoto and MS have gone on record as saying they talk things out as a group including the coaches and then make their decisions.  Based on the comments they have made I'd sooner argue that the set rosters/lineups are a group decision and that the in game changes are more his personal area of accountability.

My greater point is that you can't in one breath use the 162 games > 3 games argument and then argue the complete opposite when it suits your agenda and be taken seriously.  You are talking out both sides of your mouth.

If you feel that MS did a terrible job managing the team for those 162 games, then fine.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm sorry... but what are you even talking about? And how did this turn into a Mike Scioscia argument? I am genuinely confused.

Ok. Do you even know why I want/wanted Scioscia gone? Or did you just assume it was because of what happened during this postseason? If so, you assumed wrong. Which already nullifies everything you said there.

Again, I am not sure how you can take what I said about the Royals and turn this into some Scioscia debate. Apples to oranges, for one thing... And two, Scioscia's managing in this postseason was abysmal. However, that was not THE reason I wanted him gone. It made me want him gone even more... but I wanted to see him replaced for a while now. And the Angels finishing with the best record didn't change my mind.

And you're kidding yourself if you believe Scioscia takes orders from anyone regarding things like that. His voice is the loudest because he ultimately writes that lineup card and decides who plays and who doesn't. He's the manager.

Dipoto and whoever else can give their 2¢... But it's Scioscia's call.

Edited by Angels

Should definitely go: hamilton, cj wilson, kendrick, aybar, ianneta, conger, salas.

for god's sake we need a decent catcher already.

I understand not wanting Hamilton or Wilson, hell even Conger. I don't understand not wanting any of the other guys on the team. Howie is a very good all around 2nd baseman, and you won't find a better one on the market for what he currently gets paid. Same goes for Aybar, he is even better at his position than Howie is at his for about the same money. Ianetta, while not great with the glove is an OBP machine. Salas, petered out at the end of the season, but had five months of great relief.

Keep

Albert Pujols - He's not going anywhere.

Mike Trout - MVP.

Josh Hamilton - Noone wants him at that price.

CJ Wilson - Hope he bounces back. I still think he can. Needs to rest his mind this offseason.

Erick Aybar - Team Leader.

Huston Street - Work on extension.

Joe Smith - Let him play out current contract.

David Freese - Offer Arb. Let him heal, been banged up. Very different player in second half.

Chris Iannetta - Let him play out current contract and move on afterwards.

Kole Calhoun - Leadoff hitter, RF.

Bring back all club control guys... Jepsen, Pestano, Richards, Conger, etc.

Trade Block

Howie Kendrick - Final year of current contract. Green capable of taking over + gives hope to Yarbrough. Get Pitching in return, prospects or club control ML starters

Hector Santiago - Personal opinion of him, he stinks. Attitude mostly, control second. Move him to the NL where he becomes a little more valuable. Get SP prospects in return. Could also package with Howie for a better ML SP.

Angel FA

Jason Grilli - Like I said, try to offer 2 year deal, 2nd year mutual option

John McDonald - Adios

John Buck - Adios

Joe Thatcher - Adios

Sean Burnett - 500K Buyout. Adios

Non-Tenders

Brennan Boesch

Keep

Albert Pujols - He's not going anywhere.

Mike Trout - MVP.

Josh Hamilton - Noone wants him at that price.

CJ Wilson - Hope he bounces back. I still think he can. Needs to rest his mind this offseason.

Erick Aybar - Team Leader.

Huston Street - Work on extension.

Joe Smith - Let him play out current contract.

David Freese - Offer Arb. Let him heal, been banged up. Very different player in second half.

Chris Iannetta - Let him play out current contract and move on afterwards.

Kole Calhoun - Leadoff hitter, RF.

Bring back all club control guys... Jepsen, Pestano, Richards, Conger, etc.

Trade Block

Howie Kendrick - Final year of current contract. Green capable of taking over + gives hope to Yarbrough. Get Pitching in return, prospects or club control ML starters

Hector Santiago - Personal opinion of him, he stinks. Attitude mostly, control second. Move him to the NL where he becomes a little more valuable. Get SP prospects in return. Could also package with Howie for a better ML SP.

Angel FA

Jason Grilli - Like I said, try to offer 2 year deal, 2nd year mutual option

John McDonald - Adios

John Buck - Adios

Joe Thatcher - Adios

Sean Burnett - 500K Buyout. Adios

Non-Tenders

Brennan Boesch

Beckham?

who are you talking to?

regarding my post specifically, the reason for dumping those players is to win in the postseason as well.

i know you love winning 98 games, but personally i love winning world series. im sorry if u disagree with that.

Aybar, probably had the most hits on the Angels this post-season, but you want to dump him because you want to win in the post-season. Flawless logic indeed.

Beckham?

Whoops. He was on my mind as I was going over the clubs contracts, just couldn't decide which category to put him under. Getting rid of Wells' contracts opens up some money... I'd offer him the arb and use him as IF depth/rotating DH. Especially if we can move Kendrick for pitching.

And you're kidding yourself if you believe Scioscia takes orders from anyone regarding things like that. His voice is the loudest because he ultimately writes that lineup card and decides who plays and who doesn't. He's the manager.

Dipoto and whoever else can give their 2¢... But it's Scioscia's call.

As I said previously, I don't really have any insight into what the situation is currently -- but I have a hard time believing JD would be totally cool with being MS's bitch after the last two years.  Guess I'm just naive because I happen to think JD has bigger stones than to sit around being MS's gopher. I do agree/believe that MS does what he wants Cartman style during games.

In an effort to stay on topic, I'd like to see if JD can work another Trumbo type deal.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Whoops. He was on my mind as I was going over the clubs contracts, just couldn't decide which category to put him under. Getting rid of Wells' contracts opens up some money... I'd offer him the arb and use him as IF depth/rotating DH. Especially if we can move Kendrick for pitching.

I forget about Beckham too..  A Green/Beckham combo at 2B might come closer to replacing Kendrick than Green by himself -- Green likely gets renewed at minimum, Beckham made 4.2 mil last year.   Depending on how big of a raise he's in line for, the Angels might yet be able to break even value wise as 2B.

Edited by Inside Pitch