• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Puig strikes again

laagamer

That was Dick Enberg. Next you will be saying, Haha, the Los Angelesl announcer...

Puig caught the guy way off of first base and tried for the double play. I can't fault the guy for trying considering his arm. Gonzalez was a little handcuffed when it went on the runners side of the bag. That stuff happens on an infield hit but what was pretty unforgivable was the four other plays following Puigs throwing error, including Kershaw not even attempting a tag. Why cover home if you are not going to make a play?

I'm not gonna lie, when it comes to announcers, the only ones that stick in my mind are the amateurs on Fox or ESPN, whoever has been an Angels announcer, and Vin Scully. Not to say I've never heard of Engberg, I just don't know off the top of my head who he works for or his voice.

But I can see what you're saying with the play, I still think he shouldn't have made that throw.

Edited by Kenny

That was Dick Enberg. Next you will be saying, Haha, the Los Angelesl announcer...

Puig caught the guy way off of first base and tried for the double play. I can't fault the guy for trying considering his arm. Gonzalez was a little handcuffed when it went on the runners side of the bag. That stuff happens on an infield hit but what was pretty unforgivable was the four other plays following Puigs throwing error, including Kershaw not even attempting a tag. Why cover home if you are not going to make a play?

I don't know, maybe he had visions of being clobbered by the runner and possibly hurt. He backed off there at the last second. They already had a sizable lead and it wasn't early in the game. MVP and Cy Young caliber pitchers do not cover home on plays like that, especially with a six-run lead. They're too valuable.

I don't know, maybe he had visions of being clobbered by the runner and possibly hurt. He backed off there at the last second. They already had a sizable lead and it wasn't early in the game. MVP and Cy Young caliber pitchers do not cover home on plays like that, especially with a six-run lead. They're too valuable.

This seems like the most reasonable explanation.  I'm surprised he even dove for the ball right before that - why risk injury in an 8-1 game when you're the consensus best pitcher in the entire game?  I think he made the right call backing out there and I agree with the announcers.  They won anyway and even if they didn't it wouldn't be worth losing Kershaw over.  I'm not saying they shouldn't cover their bases or perform their responsibilities or anything like that, but on that abomination of a play I don't think backing out is a huge deal. 

I'm not gonna lie, when it comes to announcers, the only ones that stick in my mind are the amateurs on Fox or ESPN, whoever has been an Angels announcer, and Vin Scully. Not to say I've never heard of Engberg, I just don't know off the top of my head who he works for or his voice.

But I can see what you're saying with the play, I still think he shouldn't have made that throw.

He has picked guys off from left field, like Vlad used to do on sharp one hop liners. He has the raw talent and the throw wasn't horrible, unlike Ellis and Ramirez's. The Dodgers are up 7-1 so a little outfield gamble is worth it. In most cases it just ends in runners holding but in this case it escalated for no reason. With a guy on third Ellis should have just ate the ball since only Kershaw was there to cover home.

As for Enberg, he has only been announcing since the 60's which included doing all of the radio broadcast for the Angels, UCLA Bruins basketball, and Los Angeles Rams up until about 1974. He coined the phrase "The Halo shines tonight" referring to the original Anaheim scoreboard. He went to NBC and did baseball and football including 8 Superbowls. He has covered golf and Tennis including Wimbledon and the French Open. 

Tank should know this. He was a professor and baseball coach for Cal State Northridge back in the day. Ok, a few days before Tank was born but he should know this.

Oh, my... to say you don't know Enberg means you haven't followed sports for very long.

Edited by Eric Notti

I also think he's an amazing talent and enjoy watching him play.  I think the bashing he gets from the media and fans is a little over the top.  He's definitely a knucklehead, but he's not a jerk like Pierzynski or a number of other guys.

Oh and that play was extremely funny on many levels for sure.

Except for his bat flips for fly outs.

He has picked guys off from left field, like Vlad used to do on sharp one hop liners. He has the raw talent and the throw wasn't horrible, unlike Ellis and Ramirez's. The Dodgers are up 7-1 so a little outfield gamble is worth it. In most cases it just ends in runners holding but in this case it escalated for no reason. With a guy on third Ellis should have just ate the ball since only Kershaw was there to cover home.

As for Enberg, he has only been announcing since the 60's which included doing all of the radio broadcast for the Angels, UCLA Bruins basketball, and Los Angeles Rams up until about 1974. He coined the phrase "The Halo shines tonight" referring to the original Anaheim scoreboard. He went to NBC and did baseball and football including 8 Superbowls. He has covered golf and Tennis including Wimbledon and the French Open. 

Tank should know this. He was a professor and baseball coach for Cal State Northridge back in the day. Ok, a few days before Tank was born but he should know this.

Oh, my... to say you don't know Enberg means you haven't followed sports for very long.

Information about broadcasters or anything like that generally just goes in one ear and out the other with me.  I can't help it.  I just don't care.  That includes most of their voices.  I couldn't tell you a single team's regular announcer outside of LA (and KC).  As for sports, I only watch baseball and hockey, and the same goes for hockey announcers (I can only tell you the broadcast teams for the Ducks and the Kings and NBC).

I also remember Enberg doing the regional/national college basketball telecasts in the late 60s through mid 70s for a non-major tv station out here. 

Foremost amongst those memories were:

January 1968 game between #1 UCLA and #2 Houston at the Astrodome in front of 52,000 with Elvin Hayes scoring 39 points and ending a long UCLA winning streak 

January 1971 game at South Bend as the Domers behind Austin Carr shocked #1 UCLA and ended their 47 game winning streak 

January 1974 game at South Bend as the Domers behind John Shumate and Adrian Dantley shocked #1 UCLA and ended their 88 game winning streak

Edited by Angel Oracle

Media sure loves to hate them some Puig.  probably not the greatest fielding decision, but he's already shown himself vulnerable to those kinds of mental lapses.  He was only a 3rd of that fiasco, and probably not the worst part of it.  It was a game out of hand, just like when he ran into the triple play.  Not a big deal to me.  Gotta take the good with the bad with him.  To me whats a lot more worrisome with him is the complete lack of power numbers from him since the ASB.

Puig only made a marginally poor throw after a solid catch. Not sure why Puig is getting the headline here. Nothing at all here that makes him look like he isn't what he is thought to be.

Pretty much what you said.

It's basically the same reason ESPN puts LeBron on the front page most days. Hits.

If the title was "Dodgers commit three errors on one play"..it might not make it to page two.