• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Weaver's Illness

LAAMike

The after game radio show said that he was "under the weather" and had been throwing up in the clubhouse.  I seem to remember hearing these kinds of stories before. It may just be reacting to the pressure of major league pitching. 

Weaver probably should've been puller earlier, but I don't think Weaver was feeling sick while he was pitching. I heard his post game interview and there wasn't anything that he said that made it seem like he was feeling sick while he was pitching. I think he said he was feeling sick during the 9th inning (he said he threw up). Watching the bullpen implode could've made him sick.

Yeah, I'm not getting the Sosh should have went to the pen earlier arguments at all.  This pen is going to be taxed all season with three young starters and it already sucks.  The last thing we need is going to it any earlier than ever totally necessary.

This pen is horrible.

He was obviously gassed in the 6th. Walked two in a row, and his ass was rescued by that great play/relay from Calhoun & Kendrick to nail the runner at home.

If he's pulled then, we still have the lead, and the personnel out of the bullpen are probably different (we see Smith & Frieri instead of Sally & Jeppy).

Edit: We might have even seen Sally in that situation, starting the 7th inning. He really couldn't help keeping that 4th run from scoring, as he came in with a runner on third and one out. A vast majority of the time, that runner comes home anyway.

Edited by Mark68

He was obviously gassed in the 6th. Walked two in a row, and his ass was rescued by that great play/relay from Calhoun & Kendrick to nail the runner at home.

If he's pulled then, we still have the lead, and the personnel out of the bullpen are probably different (we see Smith & Frieri instead of Sally & Jeppy).

This.  What's ironic is that MS usually plays it pretty conservative in the first few weeks of the season, not wanting to push the starters too much.  Then when you consider that Weaver was also under the weather, and clearly gassed in the 6th, it was a very questionable decision to bring him out for the 7th.

And as far as not wanting to go to the BP too early - it's the first game of the season.  MS has to have some faith in those guys.

20/20 hindsight and all that, but MS has a history now of questionable handling of the pitching staff.

This.  What's ironic is that MS usually plays it pretty conservative in the first few weeks of the season, not wanting to push the starters too much.  Then when you consider that Weaver was also under the weather, and clearly gassed in the 6th, it was a very questionable decision to bring him out for the 7th.

And as far as not wanting to go to the BP too early - it's the first game of the season.  MS has to have some faith in those guys.

20/20 hindsight and all that, but MS has a history now of questionable handling of the pitching staff.

Why should Scioscia have some faith in the bullpen, no one here does.

Why should Scioscia have some faith in the bullpen, no one here does.

As a manager, you can't start the season with the attitude that the bullpen sucks and must be used as minimally as possible.  You'll never make it through the season.  It's about putting guys in the best position to succeed and having faith that they will.  I mean, if MS thinks like everyone here that the BP just sucks, then the whole season is a lost cause.  You aren't going to make the playoffs with an awful bullpen.

Edit: We might have even seen Sally in that situation, starting the 7th inning. He really couldn't help keeping that 4th run from scoring, as he came in with a runner on third and one out. A vast majority of the time, that runner comes home anyway.

True, but Salas sure didn't make it hard on the batter with back to back change ups at 88. Fail! 

I would ask this; of all the bullpen pitchers at our disposal, which one would be considered a ground ball pitcher? If the answer to that question is the pitcher is Salas, then kudos to Mike for making that decision. If not, then well…. you know

You're the Manager, the 6th inning has just ended, your ace is Jered Weaver who has been puking all dy in the clubhouse. You ask him if he has another one in him... what do you think he said?

Of course he went out there. He's a fighter and a stud.

Going into the 7th it was 3-2 and Weav was pitching great. I'd have left him in to considering the other options(this dumpster fire bullpen)

He really wasn't though. As someone else pointed out, he wrapped up the 6th by walking two in a row then giving up a double, which should have scored two (and tied the game) but thanks to an incredible relay throw by Calhoun the third out came at the plate. He was clearly gassed by the end of the 6th.

True, but Salas sure didn't make it hard on the batter with back to back change ups at 88. Fail!

I would ask this; of all the bullpen pitchers at our disposal, which one would be considered a ground ball pitcher? If the answer to that question is the pitcher is Salas, then kudos to Mike for making that decision. If not, then well…. you know

Salas is actually super flyball prone if I recall correctly.