• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jared Allen to join Seahawks

Chuck

Oh Hell Yeah! 

Pass-rusher Jared Allen has agreed to sign with the Seattle Seahawks and is in the process of finalizing a contract with the Super Bowl champions, according to league sources.

Barring unforeseen developments, Allen intends to sign as soon as Thursday while completing his second visit with coach Pete Carroll and the team.

[+] Enlargenfl_u_allen_d1_300x200.jpg
Brace Hemmelgarn/USA TODAY SportsJared Allen has 128.5 sacks in 10 seasons, including 85.5 in six seasons with the Vikings.

In all likelihood, the team had to persuade Allen to accept being a situational player on its defensive line, a unit that was pivotal as Seattle dominated Peyton Manning and theDenver Broncos in the Super Bowl.

The Seahawks led the NFL in fewest points and yards allowed, and they created the most turnovers in the league -- a triple previously accomplished by the 1985 Chicago Bears.

Allen has 128.5 career sacks, ranking him 12th in league history. He has seven consecutive double-digit sack seasons, including 11.5 in 2013, but his contract is likely for significantly less than DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers got for changing teams in free agency.

The Broncos signed Ware for three years and $30 million, with $20 million guaranteed. Peppers accepted a three-year deal totaling $30 million maximum, $7.5 million of which is guaranteed.

Seattle's first offseason priority was achieved when the team signed defensive end Michael Bennett. Also, they released defensive end Chris Clemons. A deep rotation in the defensive line was important to maintain, especially since the team lost some coverage with cornerbacks Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond defecting in free agency.

The Seahawks have $15.2 million in salary-cap space but have been conservative in free agency because they will be pursuing long-term deals with Russell WilsonEarl Thomas andRichard Sherman within the next 12 months.

I think you could say that about a lot of players.

I get it if the player has won a SB already. That is the pinnacle of a players career. I bet Dan Marino would trade in his HOF Jacket for a Super Bowl ring. Jared Allen will think the same thing when he looks back on his career.

Shortly after he signed they showed his stats vs. those of Julius Peppers' for the last 4 years and Allen had beat him in every statistical category.  He's getting to stay in the division he's familiar with while going to a better team.  Maybe he wanted more than a part time or specialty role like the one offered in Seattle?  Seems to me most athletes think they have more left in the tank than the talking heads and it probably isn't easy to realize your days are getting numbered in a career that spans maybe 10-15 years if you're lucky.  Not a bears fan and I dislike Cutler but they've been .500 or better since 2010 and while their defense struggled last year their offense was strong and they should be competitive next year.

Edit - There's no denying money was a factor as he and his agent flat out said as much I just wonder how much his ego as a declining professional athlete had him wanting to play more downs.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

There is no doubt he wanted to play more downs. That's exactly what it came down to. He didn't want to take less money to play fewer downs, where it would be harder for him to move up the all time sacks list, in order to play for a team with a much better chance of making the Super Bowl.

The only way Cutler wins a Super Bowl is if he plays on a team with a top 5 Defense in the league. Oh wait, he had that already in 2012 and didn't win. Nevermind. Good choice Jared.

All good. The Seahawks didn't have Allen last season and won the Superbowl. 

Some of my buddies thought he was a shitty sign anyhow. We save money against the cap to sign in-house guys long term like Sherman, Thomas and Wilson. 

Couldn't be happier with the end result in hindsight.