• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers concerned about Alexander Guerrero’s ability to play defense at second base

NrM

The way I see it, Alexander Guerrero's essentially the expensive version of Grant Green.  He's a shortstop by trade and is most comfortable at that position but the skill set likely doesn't lend itself to good defense at the major league level.  So you switch them to second base where the skill set plays better.  The issue is, it's a totally different position.  Maybe in high school or rec league there isn't a huge difference, but in the majors where everything is under a microscope, the differences are stark.  

Guerrero was an offensive force in Cuba, but against the best competition in the world he probably isn't a ton better than Green, who I'd see will be a .280/.330 30 DB 15 HR hitter in the major leagues with below average defense.

But the current market we're in dictates that Guerrero's worth 7 million a year and Grant Green can be had at the league minimum and under team control for 6 years in return for Alberto Callaspo. 

The way I see it, Alexander Guerrero's essentially the expensive version of Grant Green.  He's a shortstop by trade and is most comfortable at that position but the skill set likely doesn't lend itself to good defense at the major league level.  So you switch them to second base where the skill set plays better.  The issue is, it's a totally different position.  Maybe in high school or rec league there isn't a huge difference, but in the majors where everything is under a microscope, the differences are stark.  

Guerrero was an offensive force in Cuba, but against the best competition in the world he probably isn't a ton better than Green, who I'd see will be a .280/.330 30 DB 15 HR hitter in the major leagues with below average defense.

But the current market we're in dictates that Guerrero's worth 7 million a year and Grant Green can be had at the league minimum and under team control for 6 years in return for Alberto Callaspo. 

Seeing how green is an unfinished product, it's not fair to compare any players to him imo.

Edited by Poozy

I'll still hold to my VERY speculative opinion that in late June/early July the Angels were seriously considering trading Scioscia and Kendrick for Mattingly (maybe), Lee and Withrow and that the reason the Angels said no was that Moreno couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger. Again that was my very speculative opinion and was based nothing more on the fact that at that point in time there was a lot of talk about Scioscia and Dipoto's job status and that in mid-late June the Dodgers were still unsure they wanted to keep Mattingly.

For me it is a plausible excuse as to why Moreno chose to say no to the trade.

I can guarantee you that was never even close to happening.  No team is going to trade a coach in the middle of the season.  The trading of coaches are extremely rare so for it to happen in the middle of the season is just not even possible.  Coaches choose their assistant coaches so if you're trading the Manager, you better be sending his whole coaching staff with him.  That's why those things take place in the off season.

The only owner that would probably do that would be Jerry Jones seeing as he's one of the few owners who doesn't let his head coach pick who his assistants are.

Is he MLB ready? B-R.com says he hasn't made it past AA. Not incredible stats at that level either. Wouldn't warrant skipping AAA ball IMO.  

All indications is that he will contribute in 2014. 

If he were on the Angels, he'd start in AAA and eventually be called up when someone gets hurt.