• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another Idea to upgrade our pitching

Stradling

I mentioned this idea in another thread, but it got no response, which might tell me all I need to know about the idea, but here it goes. How about signing Ubaldo and Stephen Drew, then turn around and trade Aybar for as much minor league help we can get. My thoughts are, you would get two guys that would cause us to surrender the pick, but you can compensate that by the Aybar trade for minor league talent.

I mentioned this idea in another thread, but it got no response, which might tell me all I need to know about the idea, but here it goes. How about signing Ubaldo and Stephen Drew, then turn around and trade Aybar for as much minor league help we can get. My thoughts are, you would get two guys that would cause us to surrender the pick, but you can compensate that by the Aybar trade for minor league talent.

So do you believe that Aybar can bring in talent equal to both a first and second round draft pick?   When you consider the potential costs in dollars and how unlikely it is to get two premium talents for Aybar, I don't see how it would make much sense.

I'd be fine signing Ubaldo Jiminez to a deal under your scenario, but I don't know if signing Drew is necessary.  Give Romine the opportunity to get some starts at SS.  Hit em' ninth and don't expect anything but a defense-first SS.  This signing would only be done after trading Aybar; that way we know that we have secured reasonable minor league talent.  We need high ceiling minor leaguers, even if they are a couple of years away.  If Aybar can bring that, go for it.

I see 2 moves playing out over the rest of the offseason and spring training:

1. We will sign Scott Baker or Chris Capuano to compete with Mulder, Santiago, and Skaggs be our #5 starter

2. Blanton will be released or traded

What I hope plays out:

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Richards

4. Skaggs

5. Baker

Frieri

Smith

Burnett

De La Rosa

Moran

Jepsen

Santiago

Looking at Richards as our #3, I really wish we signed Garza

So do you believe that Aybar can bring in talent equal to both a first and second round draft pick? When you consider the potential costs in dollars and how unlikely it is to get two premium talents for Aybar, I don't see how it would make much sense.

Hey IP, I guess I was wrong. I thought they did away with losing multiple picks, I thought the team that lost the player would get a sandwich pick but not the other teams actual pick.

If I'm JD, I ain't trading Skaggs. Focus on getting his delivery starting point back to where it was before Arizona messed with it.

Skaggs has #3 stuff written all over him.

We already made that mistake once, NOT AGAIN!

I'm really hoping it's his mechanics that cost him that loss of velocity. I was watching video of him from 2012 where he pitched against the Angels in ST and he looked extremely good. He was hitting 93 with his FB and had a nasty curve. If he can get back to that form, he'll be a top of the rotation arm

Not a big fan of Jimenez.  WHIP is average.  His best days were 4 years ago, in the NL.  And his last ERA screams contract year.  At least Santana showed he could pitch effectively in the AL.  

When you add the loss of the draft pick, I don't know if it improves the team even if we sign Drew and trade Aybar.  

I'd pass.

Skaggs for one ... and one of Richards or Santiago if you have too. First try Skaggs or Richards and some top minor league prospects in our system (lol).

Skaggs and Richards would get a conversation going.

But it's terrible for the Angels if you're giving up those 2. Skaggs and Richards are the types of pitchers the Angels need to keep at this point, cost controlled, mid rotation potential guys are very valuable.

Yeah I would love to have Price but it makes no sense from the Angels' perspective.

Skaggs and Richards would get a conversation going.

But it's terrible for the Angels if you're giving up those 2. Skaggs and Richards are the types of pitchers the Angels need to keep at this point, cost controlled, mid rotation potential guys are very valuable.

Yeah I would love to have Price but it makes no sense from the Angels' perspective.

You'll get a lot further in the players with Price. Wilson, and Weaver. You might not even make the playoffs with Skaggs and Richards.

You'll get a lot further in the players with Price. Wilson, and Weaver. You might not even make the playoffs with Skaggs and Richards.

What about the years after that? Trading two guys who young and under control for 2 years of Price is risky.

You're also adding in a guy like Lindsey, who is Kendrick's heir, and probably another piece. It's just not worth it.

Factoring the money and club control, I honestly don't think I'd give up Skaggs alone for Price, let alone adding Richards and other pieces.  Yes, Price will far out produce Skaggs the next two years - but then what?  And at what cost ($35 mil the next two years for Price, compared to $1 mil for Skaggs).