• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fight against the Dodgers SportsNet LA

OK, I will say upfront that I am only suggesting this for the pure humor of it.

As most of you know, the Dodgers got their own fancypants cable network and they (and Time Warner) are now going through the process of trying to force other local cable carriers to add the channel to their package and charge customers an exorbitant amount of money. This feels like a situation prime to be messed with.

I'd like to see an organized effort of Angels fans to petition all the cable companies to NOT carry SportsNet LA or at the very least stick it on a very specific programming tier rather than the basic cable tier like most RSNs.

Why? Because RSNs are making all of our cable bills rise at alarming rates. Because Angels fans don't want to watch the Dodgers. Well, those are the reasons we can give the cable companies. Because cable companies run virtual monopolies. Because offering only tier packages and not a la carte programming in tyrannical.

Really though, I just see this as an opportunity to tweak Time Warner, the Dodgers, and their fans. If it so much as causes a subset of Dodger fans to miss one game on TV, then I think we've done the Lord's work. Really, I don't give a crap. I live in Seattle. This won't affect my cable bill at all and it won't affect the Angels because FS West already has carriage agreements.

I think with a coordinated enough effort, it might actually stand a chance at working (or at least make things a little harder for the Dodgers and Time Warner).

Anyone in?

Also, I'm far too lazy to actually coordinate this, so if anyone wants to run point, go for it.

I suppose I should add this. The channel is already trying to orchestrate a letter writing campaign to get the channel added. Seems like one could just as easily be run counter to that effort:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodgers-sportsnet-time-warner-cable-20140122,0,7610460.story#axzz2r9vPnPG5

why they the doyers and lakers just share the same network?  is it really necessary for the doyers to have their own channel?   Well, I guess maybe to the cable companies who are interested in lining their pockets

i think the main reason is so there won't be any missed games because another team is already playing a game being aired on the same channel at the same time. this happens on both fsw and fxp, especially in april (basketball and hockey playoffs, baseball season getting underway) and sept (baseball playoffs and college football).

ideally, if enough teams left fox sports and created their own network ala the lakers, ucla, usc, and dodgers, it'd leave fsw and fsp to the angels, kings, and ducks, and ultimately there'd be fewer broadcast interruptions.

i think the main reason is so there won't be any missed games because another team is already playing a game being aired on the same channel at the same time. this happens on both fsw and fxp, especially in april (basketball and hockey playoffs, baseball season getting underway) and sept (baseball playoffs and college football).

ideally, if enough teams left fox sports and created their own network ala the lakers, ucla, usc, and dodgers, it'd leave fsw and fsp to the angels, kings, and ducks, and ultimately there'd be fewer broadcast interruptions.

The real reason is money. They don't care about missing a game or two. Creating two channels gives them twice the opportunity to sell. Dodgers & Lakers on their own are big enough draws for two channels, so putting them on one channel is, to them, just like setting money on fire. 

For the carriers that didn't want the Lakers channel at say, $4 per sub, they now have the opportunity to sell them the Dodgers at the same price. When they don't want to pick up the Dodgers either I bet we see them offer both networks to the hold out carriers for something like $6/sub total. Big money to be gained by keeping them separate.