• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Harper v. Trout

edgur1995

Yeah, its very possible. I mean, there are three possibilities, right? That he improves, stays the same, or declines. I think it very unlikely that he declines over the next few years and think he'll continue putting up 9+ fWAR seasons into his late 20s. The question for me is two-fold:

- How long will he keep his speed, and thus retain his baserunning and defensive value?

- Will his bat continue to develop?

The best-case scenario is that he is a freak of nature like Rickey Henderson and keeps his speed into his 30s and his bat continues to develop. If both of these happen, he has a good chance of ending up as one of the very greatest center fielders of all time, along with Cobb, Mantle and Mays.

The worst-case scenario (barring injury) is that his defensive losses in 2013 were not a blip on the radar, nor simply due to switching positions, but a sign of things to come. Trout will not be able to retain his speed and lean muscle mass and within a year or two will drop a notch or two, and still remain an elite, but mortal, player - more in the 7-8 WAR range.

The middle ground is that his speed gradually, but slowly, declines, but his bat improves incrementally so he retains similar value into his late 20s, then further decline.

Either way, I just can't see a realistic scenario where he isn't a Hall of Famer. Even if he only plays through his age 35 season and averages 5 WAR per year, he'll end up with about 100 WAR for his career (70 is probable Hall of Fame, 85 or so is definite).

At the same time. People who thought because Harper put up a great WAR at 19, that he'd match trout's WAR at 20 were bigger idiots. There was a shit ton of harper fans that made that argument.

With that being said, his only real concern seems to be staying healthy. He's a great player.

yup, if I had a dollar for every prediction that Harper would be better than trout in 2013 I'd be blanton-rich

Wouldn't it scare you if Trout DOES improve consistently from now until his prime (27-28) like a normal 22 year old does? I mean by then..he could be doing the impossible (he's doing it now, but the REAL impossible).

I don't even want to put a roof on Trout's ceiling honestly. 

I honestly don't think it's possible for him to seriously improve. Players tend to learn the game through constant practice, they tend to bulk up with age in their mid twenties and they start to lose their physical prowess. Trout is already quite bulky, and he's already improved his plate discipline to the point that he has lead the AL in walks. His speed is slowly going to decline, and it might already have started since he looked a step slower last year. 

Trout's insane level of performance is specifically because he has combined traditional 'old player skills' like power, and patience, with insane amounts of natural talent all at such a young age that he can display the speed, defense and base running skills associated with young players that typically don't have a bat ready for MLB.

I think next season will end up being the best season of Trout's long career. I'd predict something truly crazy like 12 WAR, an insane batting average, more power, just as many walks, and the same level of defense we've come to expect from him. He'll follow that up with an amazing, long peak full of 6-10 WAR seasons into his early 30's.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

I honestly don't think it's impossible for him to seriously improve. Players tend to learn the game through constant practice, they tend to bulk up with age in their mid twenties and they start to lose their physical prowess. Trout is already quite bulky, and he's already improved his plate discipline to the point that he has lead the AL in walks. His speed is slowly going to decline, and it might already have started since he looked a step slower last year. 

Trout's insane level of performance is specifically because he has combined traditional 'old player skills' like power, and patience, with insane amounts of natural talent all at such a young age that he can display the speed, defense and base running skills associated with young players that typically don't have a bat ready for MLB.

I think next season will end up being the best season of Trout's long career. I'd predict something truly crazy like 12 WAR, an insane batting average, more power, just as many walks, and the same level of defense we've come to expect from him. He'll follow that up with an amazing, long peak full of 6-10 WAR seasons into his early 30's.

Agreed with this, but Trout will have to seriously slump/have some injuries to ever be a 6 WAR player in his 20s. He could literally get 6 WAR in his sleep, and that isn't a joke. He does so much that he'll always be in the top 3-5 in the AL in WAR imo.