• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are apparently looking for a backup catcher

jshep

Honestly, if that's all he ****s up is catcher, I'm ok with that.    I was one of the lead complainers about Mathis, and he's gone.    As long as Mike doesn't screw up the other 23 guys on the roster, I don't care who he has crouching down behind the plate.   If he doesn't like Conger, move him for something.    

The musical chairs at the catcher position cannot be helpful to the pitching staff -- who are already struggling badly. 

So Matt Treanor is the only FA catcher left.

And doing a quick look through other teams, the guys that seem the most likely to be available are veteran guys who might not make the team like Rod Barajas, Henry Blanco, Yorvit Torrealba, Ronny Paulino, etc.

I'm sure some random minor league journeymen will be cut loose as well, but I'm struggling to find anyone who doesn't suck.

Ramon Hernandez used to be good and might be doable, I guess.

Christ, just give Conger a ****ing chance. Just give him 60 games to sink or swim. I don't get it. The guy has upside to be a 260/330/430 backup. That would make up for his below average glove. When is the last time we got a 700 OPS out of a backup catcher? I think Conger is capable of that. Regardless, he deserves a chance.

Christ, just give Conger a ****ing chance. Just give him 60 games to sink or swim. I don't get it. The guy has upside to be a 260/330/430 backup. That would make up for his below average glove. When is the last time we got a 700 OPS out of a backup catcher? I think Conger is capable of that. Regardless, he deserves a chance.

Have you seen him on defense?

After the game today, Mike was asked about the way Ianetta has been swinging the bat. He talked about Ianetta and then mentioned Hester. He made no mention of Conger whatsoever. As far as Sciosia's concerned, I think Conger sleeps with the fishes.

After the game today, Mike was asked about the way Ianetta has been swinging the bat. He talked about Ianetta and then mentioned Hester. He made no mention of Conger whatsoever. As far as Sciosia's concerned, I think Conger sleeps with the fishes.

I have no idea what anyone sees in Hester.

He's fine as depth in AAA or whatever, but he's not actually good.

Yes, kid deserves a chance still IMO. He should be given 60 games as the backup...if he can't handle that then trade him

I would love to have Conger on the team regardless, since he is a lefty bat with power, but I really don't want him behind the plate 60+ times. Every single batter that gets to first base will become Mike Trout.

I would love to have Conger on the team regardless, since he is a lefty bat with power, but I really don't want him behind the plate 60+ times. Every single batter that gets to first base will become Mike Trout.

You'd rather have Hester who can't throw a runner out and can't hit?

Angels really screwed themselves by not finding a veteran backup in the offseason. I think Conger deserves it at this point but if his defense is this bad in the regular season, then we'll be in real trouble. Iannetta is going to need to play 100-110 games, which realistically won't happen.

Angels really screwed themselves by not finding a veteran backup in the offseason. I think Conger deserves it at this point but if his defense is this bad in the regular season, then we'll be in real trouble. Iannetta is going to need to play 100-110 games, which realistically won't happen.

Sounds like we'll have to get "creative" Orioles style and stagger things like Conger starts, Hanson / Vargas starts, Wells/Romine appearances, and bullpen innings for our worst relievers so they all occur on the same days. Preferably the days in which we're facing our opponents best starting pitcher. We can get the losing "out of our system" in massive lopsided blowout losses, then win enough of the rest of our games by narrow margins to at least secure a wild card  B)

angels= catchers graveyard. we need one that has a low cera, can't hit and wants to learn to block the plate. wonder if that would stick.

The Marlins would likely give us Mathis (making more than League minimum) and maybe even additional players (provided they're also making more than League minimum) for Conger (making League minimum) + cash.

But much like Napoli, I think Conger will only get better away from Scioscia.  IF playing everyday,

Catcher is a very difficult position to fill, and really good ones are few and far between. At some point the front office must realize that Scioscia only values defense at the position - and even at that it doesn't take much to satisfy him. His obsession with Mathis proved that he will completely sacrifice the position offensively in order to have a merely adequate defensive catcher in the lineup. For some reason, if a catcher hits at all, Scioscia dogs him until he doesn't want to be here.

Scioscia is pathological when it comes to catchers and certain veteran players.